Account Hacked

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3564 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Greetings friends...

You all (or most at least) know me as a long time user, so I'm not some hysterical newbie. Just wanted to pass around that my account for SL was hacked today. Nothing was stolen but the person sent spam messages from my account to most of the groups that I belong to. It was bad enough the LL had locked my account and made me reset my password. 

Keep a heads up on your accounts. Maybe a good idea to change your passwords as well.

Thanks....

Sorry to hear that, Tex, but glad you got it back and with no apparent loss. Any idea how the hacking was done? Phishing site, a not-as-trustable-as-you-though friend, or just craftiness on the hacker's side getting your password?

I have no idea how the person got into my account. The only thing I did different from usual was to approve the new ToS through my ipad. (isn't that going to throw everyone into a panic? :matte-motes-sunglasses-3:)

I think it was just a random hit, but I can't be sure. As far as I know, my other 4 accounts in SL are fine.

Sorry to hear this happened...

One of the clients I work with got her account on hold for one day and LL said it was because someone abroad logged into it. After getting it back they put it on hold again 2 days after saying it got hacked, and she did not click any links or anything suspicious...

Something terrible is happening in SL right now and it seems to me that LL are not doing things they should be, I was married on 11th July in sl and on the 12th July, my bridesmaid logged in and sent a spam link to all her groups, even though i knew she was at work in rl at the time this happened, managed to get her password changed but an hour later her account was placed under a ban, also my sl husband was logged out and he was banned also (we have no idea why), since then a few days later another friends account was also banned and a group i am a member of also reported a hacker was on the prowl and they have lost friends to a ban. Glad you got your account back, my bridesmaid got hers back after 5 days, but unfortunately others i know are still fighting to get theirs back, including my sl husband. All pleas to LL seem to be on deaf ears right now and phone calls result in the usual, file another ticket only for the said ticket to be closed over and over an hour later. Keeping fingers crossed that eventually i can have my honeymoon, for hubby it has been over a week now, fighting this with LL.

My account was hacked about 9 months ago.

I'm the only person in the RL and SL that knew my password so I believe it has to be an employee in Linden Labs who did it or gave the password to someone else to do it.  It was not a password you would find accidentally.

Linden Labs were very cooperative and thorough in restoring my financial status.

AnnMarie Otoole wrote:

My account was hacked about 9 months ago.

I'm the only person in the RL and SL that knew my password so I believe it has to be an employee in Linden Labs who did it or gave the password to someone else to do it.  It was not a password you would find accidentally.

Linden Labs were very cooperative and thorough in restoring my financial status.

Why, oh why would someone at Linden Lab do this?

Granted, we know LL does not always do smart things but first of all I doubt if there are many people at the Lab who have the level of authority to view your password.  Also I would be highly surprised if LL didn't keep a log of who accessed that data base, etc, etc.  I could be wrong about that but it would be standard operating procedure for a company that needs to maintain security protocols because of the financial info they are handling.

I guess what you claim is possible.  But we are talking about someone committing a crime here.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3564 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.