New TOS

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3564 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

ChinRey wrote:

Has anybody who understands legalese had a closer look at the changes LL made to the TOS today? And if so, is it possible to explain in layman terms?

Nayoo, but Linden Lab explains over on the blog.

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/Featured-News/Updates-to-Section-2-3-of-the-Terms-of-Service/ba-p/2777874

Me is none the wiser. o.O

• Like 1

When it comes to content rights, there are no changes. They have kept the "and otherwise exploit in any manner whatsoever, all or any portion of your User Content (and derivative works thereof), for any purpose whatsoever in all formats, on or through any media" which overrules anything else they say about it.

Don't play a lawyer on SL or TV, and in fact don't practice law, but the statements made in http://community.secondlife.com/t5/Featured-News/Updates-to-Section-2-3-of-the-Terms-of-Service/ba-p/2777874 are about certain clarifications of the rights Second Life asserts to content Second Lifers create, none of which prevent Second Life from abolishing any Second Lifer's inventory or content on whim under Section 1.2 of the Terms of Service (which still says, in effect, "if you lose content or inventory in Second Life, you can't touch us in court, and there are no other means under which you can regain them - except (heh, heh) filing a ticket.")

They also direct people to SL's new Skill Gaming Policy, about which I'm apathetic because it just is bringing out into the open that while it's illegal for Second Lifers to operate games of chance, the crapshoot any Second Lifer plays when buying virtual objects in Marketplace or in world from another Second Lifer, only to have a very real chance of losing those objects owing to an LL server malfunction is still very much covered by Section 1.2 of the Terms of Service.

Don't buy or create ANYTHING in Second Life unless you're willing to lose it to LL by accident or as a policy decision on the part of Linden Labs.  They're covered in the courts of the State of California under which you agree to sue them in the event you can afford legal representation for such a lawsuit.  And if, as the CEO of Linden Labs has implied may happen, Second Life moves on to a technical format which is not compatible with the function of your content or inventory, you have no legal recourse at all.

While LL held our stuff to ransom unless we agreed to the TOS changes, i have many items i have purchased since 2007, in that time i have had things disappear from my inventory and never returned, thats ok but my creations, skins, clothes etc which i sell are all backed up on my computer, and also on Kitely MP and Virtual highway, so an inventory loss for me in SL is'nt a big deal

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3564 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.