Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Phil Deakins

SL2 and potential losses - the facts

Recommended Posts

Although I'm ok with starting over in a new world (better than LL shutting the door completely) there is a loss to me as a creator and merchant.

My partner and I spent a major part of 7 years building up our merchandise (boats, offsims, landscaping items). These were mainly built from scratch using mesh, sculpties, standard prim builds, texturing, animations, complex scripts. This wasn't all fun....a lot of it was plain hard work and determination. Why did we do it and what was the drive? Because we expected it to pay off over time. When you build a high quality item it is expected to sell again and again over time -  that was our investment. So yes, if our time runs out in SL then that's an investment loss.

I would be truly amazed if my items were portable to this new world with textures, scripts and animations intact.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Rya Nitely wrote:

Although I'm ok with starting over in a new world (better than LL shutting the door completely) there is a loss to me as a creator and merchant
.

My partner and I spent a major part of 7 years building up our merchandise (boats, offsims, landscaping items). These were mainly built from scratch using
mesh, 
sculpties, standard prim builds, texturing, animations, complex scripts. This wasn't all fun....a lot of it was plain hard work and determination. Why did we do it and what was the drive? Because we expected it to pay off over time. When you build a high quality item it is expected to sell again and again 
over time -  
that was our investment. So yes, if our time runs out in SL then that's an investment loss.

I would be truly amazed if my items were portable to this new world with textures, scripts and animations intact.

But, you got enjoyment out of it over the years.. You aren't out anything, you enjoyed building it, right? According to someone:

"You weren't making anything and yet you kept on spending? Nobody does that so, either you haven't been entirely honest here or you did get your "hundreds of dollars" worth of enjoyment out of doing it through the years and you won't lose anything financially. Perhaps you'd like to go into more detail, because keeping on spending on something, intending it to be profitable but isn't, isn't plausible.

If you've put that up as an example of someone who will lose out financially if and when the end comes, you failed. If you've been entirely honest, you put money into a business that failed. That's your doing and nothing to do with SL eventually closing down."

Not my view personally, but I was told my view was wrong.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The point is, you didn't spend 7 years building the items and after 7 years they are ready to sell. You were selling them along the way. So you won't lose the 7 years work. Also, whilst I accept that some of the work felt like work, it's what you wanted to do as a hobby, and you got the 7 years of enjoyable hobby from it, plus sales.

I appreciate that it won't be pleasant if you end up leaving it all behind, but SL has to move on or itself get left behind sooner or later. And you won't be out of pocket financially, which is what this thread is about. I imagine that you will have made money through the years but, even if you haven't, you've had a very enjoyable, and very cheap, hobby all along.

I am also a creator/merchant and I have also spent a lot of time creating things over 7½ years, including writing all my own scripts, some of them compicated, and making all my own animations for my stuff. I did it as a hobby. So there's not much difference between us. The differences are that you made different things and I have been closing the business down for a long time so I won't miss it. But even if I wasn't closing it down, I would actually be looking forward to doing it again in SL2, and hoping that SL2 will be different enough to improve my stuff while I'm doing it, because it's a hobby, and a very cheap one too. I might even do it.

So I don't see that you will lose out financially, which is what this thread is about. Imo, like me, you've had 7 good years of enjoying the hobby, and there are more years of the same enjoyment still to come before SL finally closes its doors.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do you know why people keep saying you're pompous?

You keep spouting off this thought as if it were gospel and when someone tells you they feel differently you tell them they are wrong. That is insulting and disrespectful. Who are you to tell others how they should feel? Who are you to tell others their feelings are wrong? That is he most hurtful thing anyone can do. It's akin to telling someone who lost a loved one that they shouldn't feel bad because they are in a better place. You have no right to tell anyone their feelings are wrong. You sir, are wrong.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

But people don't keep telling me I'm pompous. One person did. Was that you? ;)

I haven't said that anyone's feelings are wrong. I have said, and still say, that their conclusions are wrong. We people tend to think with feelings - how it will affect us. I point out that the effect isn't bad at all, and that what they thought would be losses won't really be losses at all. I also point out why SL2 must come, in spite of some people's personal (self-centred) desires.

Some people include all the tier they've paid in their 'thousands of dollars that they've paid in and will lose'. They are obviously wrong to include it, but they still feel it. I just point out the error :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Rya Nitely wrote:

Although I'm ok with starting over in a new world (better than LL shutting the door completely) there is a loss to me as a creator and merchant
.

My partner and I spent a major part of 7 years building up our merchandise (boats, offsims, landscaping items). These were mainly built from scratch using
mesh, 
sculpties, standard prim builds, texturing, animations, complex scripts. This wasn't all fun....a lot of it was plain hard work and determination. Why did we do it and what was the drive? Because we expected it to pay off over time. When you build a high quality item it is expected to sell again and again 
over time -  
that was our investment. So yes, if our time runs out in SL then that's an investment loss.

I would be truly amazed if my items were portable to this new world with textures, scripts and animations intact.

As a merchant, you can sell objects again and again over time - but not for an unlimited time. In a technologically driven field your products will become obsolete compared to other products on the market in a few years regardless of how good they are right now because technology changes constantly. That has been happening for years in the current Second Life and will keep happening whether or not a new platform is developed. I doubt that your seven-year-old products are currently your top sellers. With the changes possible with a modern platform the vast majority of your current products would be gathering dust in the market even if you could bring them over intact because your competition would be using techniques better suited to the new environment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

your example of people paying rent I agree with, because it's rent.

I don't think you have the right definition of financial loss. Putting an enormous amount of time and effort or money into something with the aim of getting financial gain in the future is called an investment. When that investment doesn't work out it's called a financial loss. Time and effort is work, which equals money.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Phil Deakins wrote:

But people don't keep telling me I'm pompous. One person did. Was that you? 
;)

I haven't said that anyone's feelings are wrong. I have said, and still say, that their conclusions are wrong. We people tend to think with feelings - how it will affect us. I point out that the effect isn't bad at all, and that what they thought would be losses won't really be losses at all. I also point out why SL2 must come, in spite of some people's personal (self-centred) desires.

Some people include all the tier they've paid in their 'thousands of dollars that they've paid in and will lose'. They are obviously wrong to include it, but they still feel it. I just point out the error
:)

Again and again and again... That is your opinion they are wrong. Stating their thoughts are wrong is wrong in and of itself. You can not tell people how they think about their own usage of SL is wrong. You have no idea what they feel or what they have put into SL.

You basically told me i was an idiot for continuing to try and make a go of being a merchant in SL when i have not yet turned a profit. What gives you that right?

By your own admission you do nothing to further the economy of as you cash out all of your earnings. I have never cashed out a single penny from SL. Even when i was making a profit from my earlier business items. Not one thin dime. All of my earnings have gone back into SL, either in rent or purchases. I would dare say, that I am the type of person LL wants in SL. Not you. I pay in monthly buying $L and spend every earned $L in SL. They gain from me, never losing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Drake1 Nightfire wrote:

Again and again and again... That is your opinion they are wrong. Stating their thoughts are wrong is wrong in and of itself. You can not tell people how they think about their own usage of SL is wrong. You have no idea what they feel or what they have put into SL.

People who say they will lose thousands of dollars that they put into SL are wrong. yes. I don't even try to tell people how to think. I do tell a few that their thinking is mistaken though. People use SL for two reason. A very few use it as an RL business. The rest use it for pleaure - hobby/passtime. Are there any other reasons apart from maybe short-term education or experimentation? I don't tell people why they use SL. I simply tell them it's either a business or a hobby for them. I'll tell you that it's a hobby for you. Am I wrong in telling you that? If I am, please explain why.

You basically told me i was an idiot for continuing to try and make a go of being a merchant in SL when i have not yet turned a profit. What gives you that right?

I didn't say you were an idiot. You used that word, not me. I did say that nobody does what you said you did - continue throwing significant amounts of money at something that isn't working - for years. Unless, of course, it's done purely as the cost of the pleasurable hobby, in which case it's merely the cost of the pleasurable hobby and nothing that will represent a financial loss when SL shuts down.

By your own admission you do nothing to further the economy of as you cash out all of your earnings.
Yes I do cash out, and, apart from the first few weeks, I always have.
 I have never cashed out a single penny from SL. Even when i was making a profit from my earlier business items. Not one thin dime.
Are you suggesting that those who cash out are doing something wrong? Would you rather we gave it all to LL. If not, then what would you have us do with the money?
 All of my earnings have gone back into SL, either in rent or purchases.
So that other people can no doubt cash it out.
 I would dare say, that I am the type of person LL wants in SL. Not you. I pay in monthly buying $L and spend every earned $L in SL. They gain from me, never losing.
You are certainly the type of person that those who do SL as a business want in SL. LL wants people to cash out too. They used it as a major selling points for SL

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Rya Nitely wrote:

your example of people paying rent I agree with, because it's rent.

I don't think you have the right definition of financial loss. Putting an enormous amount of time and effort or money into something with the aim of getting financial gain in the future is called an investment. When that investment doesn't work out it's called a financial loss. Time and effort is work, which equals money.

Yes, ok. I often used the phrase 'out of pocket' to try and signify that the loss won't really be a loss. I'll try to clarify with examples. If someone buys a dress the day before SL suddenly shuts down, that's a financial loss because the use of the dress was intended to last a lot more than a day, and the money was paid for a much longer use of the dress. But if someone buys a dress today, and SL shuts down 2, 3 or 4 years from now, it won't be a financial loss because the person got full value for the money by having years of use out of the dress. The chances are that the person will have stopped using the dress (or whatever item it is) long before then, anyway, even though it's still in the inventory and could be used again. That's the point I've been making.

If someone invests money on a business venture in SL, s/he still has at least 2 years to make it work and get money back from it. Nobody is going to commence a significant venture now, of course. So more time must be added to the 'at least 2 years' because the venture started some time ago. If it doesn't work, then it is, as you said, a financial loss, but it won't be brought about by SL2's arrival. It will be brought about by the person not getting it to work. So it doesn't come into this discussion, which is only about possible financial losses due to SL2's arrival.

I would concede it if someone has invested significant money in SL on a very long-term project that was planned to start making profits years down the line. But I don't think anyone has done that. At least, I've never heard of such a thing in SL.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Phil Deakins wrote:


Drake1 Nightfire wrote:

Again and again and again... That is your opinion they are wrong. Stating their thoughts are wrong is wrong in and of itself. You can not tell people how they think about their own usage of SL is wrong. You have no idea what they feel or what they have put into SL.

People who say they will lose thousands of dollars that they put into SL are wrong. yes. I don't even try to tell people how to think. I do tell a few that their thinking is mistaken though. People use SL for two reason. A very few use it as an RL business. The rest use it for pleaure - hobby/passtime. Are there any other reasons apart from maybe short-term education or experimentation? I don't tell people why they use SL. I simply tell them it's either a business or a hobby for them. I'll tell you that it's a hobby for you. Am I wrong in telling you that? If I am, please explain why.

Yes, you are wrong. I don't consider it a hobby. I do not have to explain why. The simple fact that I do not consider it a hobby should be reason enough. You, however, want to be able to tear apart any responce that anyone makes and turn their words on their heads to make it look like you are correct in your assumptions.

You basically told me i was an idiot for continuing to try and make a go of being a merchant in SL when i have not yet turned a profit. What gives you that right?

I didn't say you were an idiot. You used that word, not me. I did say that nobody does what you said you did - continue throwing significant amounts of money at something that isn't working - for years. Unless, of course, it's done purely as the cost of the pleasurable hobby, in which case it's merely the cost of the pleasurable hobby and nothing that will represent a financial loss when SL shuts down.

By your own admission you do nothing to further the economy of as you cash out all of your earnings.
Yes I do cash out, and, apart from the first few weeks, I always have.
 I have never cashed out a single penny from SL. Even when i was making a profit from my earlier business items. Not one thin dime.
Are you suggesting that those who cash out are doing something wrong? Would you rather we gave it all to LL. If not, then what would you have us do with the money?
 

You said yourself. "
I don't spend anything. I take it out, for goodness sakes, and always have done.
" How does that help the economy of SL at all?

All of my earnings have gone back into SL, either in rent or purchases.
So that other people can no doubt cash it out.
 I would dare say, that I am the type of person LL wants in SL. Not you. I pay in monthly buying $L and spend every earned $L in SL. They gain from me, never losing.
You are certainly the type of person that those who do SL as a business want in SL. LL wants people to cash out too. They used it as a major selling points for SL

Please show me where that is a selling point? If everyone followed your example and never spent a single $L the SL economy would collapse.


 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Who are you to determine what value someone places on an item? Nothing you have posted here has been a fact, it has all been opinion. Your opinion. News flash, you don't get to make decisions for everyone else.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Drake1 Nightfire wrote:


Phil Deakins wrote:


Drake1 Nightfire wrote:

Again and again and again... That is your opinion they are wrong. Stating their thoughts are wrong is wrong in and of itself. You can not tell people how they think about their own usage of SL is wrong. You have no idea what they feel or what they have put into SL.

People who say they will lose thousands of dollars that they put into SL are wrong. yes. I don't even try to tell people how to think. I do tell a few that their thinking is mistaken though. People use SL for two reason. A very few use it as an RL business. The rest use it for pleaure - hobby/passtime. Are there any other reasons apart from maybe short-term education or experimentation? I don't tell people why they use SL. I simply tell them it's either a business or a hobby for them. I'll tell you that it's a hobby for you. Am I wrong in telling you that? If I am, please explain why.

Yes, you are wrong. I don't consider it a hobby. I do not have to explain why. The simple fact that I do not consider it a hobby should be reason enough.
In that case, it really was rather silly pouring significant money into it year after year, and you come under the heading a failed business, in which case, you won't lose financially as a result of SL2's appearance, which is *all* I've been talking about. You will have lost financially because of your own failure to make the business work.
 You, however, want to be able to tear apart any responce that anyone makes and turn their words on their heads to make it look like you are correct in your assumptions.
No I don't want to tear apart any response that anyone makes. Do you think I should abandon my beliefs concerning the realities on account of one or two people disagreeing? I notice that you don't abandon yours because I see things differently. You can't have it just one way, y'know.

You basically told me i was an idiot for continuing to try and make a go of being a merchant in SL when i have not yet turned a profit. What gives you that right?

I didn't say you were an idiot. You used that word, not me. I did say that nobody does what you said you did - continue throwing significant amounts of money at something that isn't working - for years. Unless, of course, it's done purely as the cost of the pleasurable hobby, in which case it's merely the cost of the pleasurable hobby and nothing that will represent a financial loss when SL shuts down.

By your own admission you do nothing to further the economy of as you cash out all of your earnings.
Yes I do cash out, and, apart from the first few weeks, I always have.
 I have never cashed out a single penny from SL. Even when i was making a profit from my earlier business items. Not one thin dime.
Are you suggesting that those who cash out are doing something wrong? Would you rather we gave it all to LL. If not, then what would you have us do with the money?
 

You said yourself. "
I don't spend anything. I take it out, for goodness sakes, and always have done.
" How does that help the economy of SL at all?
Are we all obliged to add to the economy? If cashing out is good enough for Linden Lab (as seen in their promoting of it as a big plus to joining), it's good enough for me, and many others - and a great many others who wish that their businesses had reached that level. If you really think otherwise, perhaps you'd like to start a thread about it. It's strange that I don't see anyone, including you, objecting in threads where people ask about cashing out. I think you're a voice in the wilderness regarding it.

All of my earnings have gone back into SL, either in rent or purchases.
So that other people can no doubt cash it out.
 I would dare say, that I am the type of person LL wants in SL. Not you. I pay in monthly buying $L and spend every earned $L in SL. They gain from me, never losing.
You are certainly the type of person that those who do SL as a business want in SL. LL wants people to cash out too. They used it as a major selling points for SL

Please show me where that is a selling point? If everyone followed your example and never spent a single $L the SL economy would collapse.
It's a selling point because, not only
can
it be done, but it
is
being done. It wouldn't work if everyone did it, of course, but that doesn't stop it being a major selling point, a desirable thing for users who are so-minded to aim for, and a big plus for LL concerning SL.


 

 

It's not my fault that you have haven't managed to make your SL business turn a profit. You've had years of enjoyment from doing it at a loss, or you would have stopped pouring money into it ages ago. Imo, you've been paid in full (in enjoyment) for what it cost you through the years, so you won't have a financial loss when SL2 arrives. What was it? Hundreds of US$? Over how long? many years? Very cheap enjoyment/hobby :)

ETA: One more thing. You're holding up as worthy of merit the fact that you never cash out and instead you use all money within SL. But you already said you've only made a loss in your business, so you haven't had the opportunity to cash out. That means that you not cashing out isn't worthy of merit at all, because you had no choice. I wonder what you would have done if your business had been successful and you'd had the opportunity ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Drake1 Nightfire wrote:

Who are you to determine what value someone places on an item? Nothing you have posted here has been a fact, it has all been opinion. Your opinion. News flash, you don't get to make decisions for everyone else.

No I don't get to make decisions for everyone else, and I haven't tried to do so. I've merely stated the realities. That's all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have to agree with you on this so called loss issue. I see it funny, first off that these same people complaining about technology moving forward are the same people that have always put down those who could not afford the hardware to keep with SL's updates. I guess an opinion changes when it fits the person's own situation. That is what i have seen all over this forum for years.

I myself have invested over thousands of dollars into SL, but guess what? It was MY choice to do so, no one made me so when the time comes and objects cannot be transferred then it was of my own choice, still. Come on people. If you buy a car and you have it for 10 years, do you cry over the fact you can't use it anymore, or do you purchase another or find another means otf transportation? Phil has very valid points, everyone and anyone that has paid for things in SL has had to know at one point it wasn't going to be available forever.

For you creators (not so much hobby creators as they fall under the category of people who use SL as a past time) did you relly think that SL was going to last forever? I mean if you are balking over whatever "investment" you made for YOUR business that hangs off someone else's actual business, maybe you need to take a RL business course in risk and management.

The creators that are going to come out and say this is their only means of income need to take that RL class as well. If you are disabled and receiving disability benefits, Why then you should not be making any money on the side, now should you? I hear that is quite illegal in the U.S. check with the Social Security administration. If you are out of the U.S. I don't have a clue on benefits such as those, but using SL as a sole means of income or even part is really a bad decision. Take an online course in businees, sell on other venues, act like an adult.

I look forward to a new platform and all the thousands of USD that I have paid out was worth the years of using the objects, renting the land, whatever you want to call it.

This is of course, my opinion, but seems there is a lot of factual points in it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Atma Constantine wrote:

If you are disabled and receiving disability benefits, Why then you should not be making any money on the side, now should you? I hear that is quite illegal in the U.S. check with the Social Security administration.

That's not factually true.

Also... not so sure the prople fearing this move are the same people who push for others to upgrade. I think its much more than the issue has some people from all camps, now on varying sides on this topic.

 

My concerns are user based:

  • I want what I jump to to have at least the scale of community I see here.
  • I want to be able to make a neko avatar again, and a furry - this was why I never moved to InWorldz. By the time they claim they had the ability for me to get a neko... their moment in the spotlight was passed.
  • I don't look forward to the expensive process of buying land again - and not being able to fund it by selling my old land. And I'm particular about the nature of where I buy so I'm nervous about what will be the nature of what they offer... This is one of many reasons why I never jumped to Cloud Party... because I'm not into skyboxes.

But I agree technology needs to move forward. And I've already said why I feel LLs needs to be the one behind it.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You must have conviently missed where i said i was making a profit with an earlier business...

"I have never cashed out a single penny from SL. Even when i was making a profit from my earlier business items. Not one thin dime."

You are still pushing your beliefs as facts, they are simply your opinions, which like a$$holes, everyone has.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Pussycat Catnap wrote:


Atma Constantine wrote:

If you are disabled and receiving disability benefits, Why then you should not be making any money on the side, now should you? I hear that is quite illegal in the U.S. check with the Social Security administration.

That's not factually true.

Also... not so sure the prople fearing this move are the same people who push for others to upgrade. I think its much more than the issue has some people from all camps, now on varying sides on this topic.

 

My concerns are user based:
  • I want what I jump to to have at least the scale of community I see here.
  • I want to be able to make a neko avatar again, and a furry - this was why I never moved to InWorldz. By the time they claim they had the ability for me to get a neko... their moment in the spotlight was passed.
  • I don't look forward to the expensive process of buying land again - and not being able to fund it by selling my old land. And I'm particular about the nature of where I buy so I'm nervous about what will be the nature of what they offer... This is one of many reasons why I never jumped to Cloud Party... because I'm not into skyboxes.

But I agree technology needs to move forward. And I've already said why I feel LLs needs to be the one behind it.

 

It is true unless you are on the "Ticket to Work" program with SSDI. I have disabled friends that collect benefits and have gone to a hearing with one particular friend. SSI is a state level program for those who do not have enough work quarters paid into the Social Security Administration and their rules are even more strict.

To me, I have seen a lot of people on various threads being the same people that have made remarks to those that could not even log onto SL without better hardware. Isn't that sort of the same concept? You can't use your inventory if you can't log on. The reason I amke that comparasion is because some people will NEVER be able to get the hardware to support SL, so at least moving to a new and hopefully, improved VW, those fearing will have a new place to reside in.

Your points make a lot of sense and are understandable. I have tried other VW and none compare to SL at all, not to me anyways. I don't look forward to the expense of buying things that won't transfer, but I realize it is not my decision to decide that and if it hinders the new platform then that is LL's call. People seem to be acting like they thought their virtual belongings would last until dooms day and to me that is just not reasonable thinking.

I, like you hope to keep my visual identity as close as possible, but if it doesn't happen right away, it may down the road.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Drake1 Nightfire wrote:

You must have conviently missed where i said i was making a profit with an earlier business...

"I have never cashed out a single penny from SL.
Even when i was making a profit from my earlier business items.
Not one thin dime."

You are still pushing your beliefs as facts, they are simply your opinions, which like a$$holes, everyone has.

Yes, I had forgotten that bit, but I do remember you saying it. But you didn't make much of a profit so it was easy to spend inworld. What if you were making thousands of US$ each and every month. What would you have done with it then? It would actually have been quite hard to spend it all inworld. If nobody cashed out, what would happen to all the money that's put in?

Anyway, this isn't about the morals of cashing out. You're the first person I've seen who tried to make cashing out sound like a bad thing to do, and I've been in this forum, and its predecessors, for many years. The bottom line is that each of us does with our SL earnings what we want to do with them, and there is no right or wrong to it. Everyone, except you it seems, accepts that some people cash out, and that cashing out isn't a bad thing at all or a wrong thing to do. You're arguing a lost cause - a cause that has nothing to do with this thread.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Atma Constantine wrote:


Pussycat Catnap wrote:


Atma Constantine wrote:

If you are disabled and receiving disability benefits, Why then you should not be making any money on the side, now should you? I hear that is quite illegal in the U.S. check with the Social Security administration.

That's not factually true.

Also... not so sure the prople fearing this move are the same people who push for others to upgrade. I think its much more than the issue has some people from all camps, now on varying sides on this topic.

 

It is true unless you are on the "Ticket to Work" program with SSDI. I have disabled friends that collect benefits and have gone to a hearing with one particular friend. 


On disability and earning money on one's own:

http://www.ehow.com/info_8354080_can-people-disability-allowed-work.html

- My best friend from childhood has mild-autism and speach problems, owns a business, and is on disability. I've never understood the details of how that all came together without conflict but the link above gives some hints.

If earnings go above a certain amount, disability goes down, but can come back later.

Its not that you cannot earn anything, but that if you start making enough to support yourself, things get complicated. My friend has spent a lifetime of drifting above and below that border and losing then regaining disability - because the conditions my friend has makes for a person who is very difficult to deal with outside of text at a distance...

(Of course the dollar amounts on that link, here in San Francisco, won't even buy you the time of day...)

SL is actually ideal for people in this border to work on their own schedule. People who are able minded but not able bodied.

 

I'll grant that who is claiming 'hardship' in a platform transition can sometimes or even often be at odds with who claims an inability to keep up with SL's demands is 'just too bad' or an issue. Its just that its not all the same players on the same sides.

That said... one of SL 1.0's big problems is that its code, being so old and then hacked into the new - might be more system restrictive than a potential SL 2.0 would be IF AND ONLY IF they keep that in mind in making SL 2.0... As in... if they optimize SL 2.0 well, it might age better.

But that's all very much a guess on my part. Or maybe a pipe dream. A sort of "OMG guys, please do it right this time." Not that you can blame them too much for getting it wrong back in 2003 when competing examples were limited to some already aging MMOs and things on the scale of WoW, Minecraft, etc, had yet to come about...

 

I can accept that my new avatar might look different. Kind of hope it will actually because we all know the SL 1.0 base avatar is deeply flawed... (/sigh)

Though the new mesh replacements make me FEAR what SL 2.0's base avatar might look like... LLs idea of 'hire a professional 3D modeler to make a new avatar' and my idea of that same phrase are apparantly not compatible.

(the new base avatars are vastly better on some levels, but then it breaks down in the details... and they all lack aesthetics... which is subjective so that's "just me"...)

 

My 'move over' will depend heavily on my ability to quickly create a look I like, and to get some land.

- the rest of the inventory I can deal with over time. But if I can't get me a tail, cat ears, whiskers, and cat eyes... it'll be hard to jump.

I think that's what will hit us all most when the time comes... what will become everyone's list of say... 3 to 10 things about their avatar that they cannot do without some kind of replacement for...

 

But the core original point Phil makes in this thread is one I agree with: the tech is old, and LLs needs to get out in front before somebody else does. I just have different conclusions for what I believe will occur if they fail to do so.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Coby Foden wrote:

Loss-or-no-loss.jpg

 

That car was clearly very badly damaged before the rock hit it, as can be seen by the state of the front end, which the rock didn't hit. So the owner very definitely had his/her full money's worth out of it. Imo, s/he is now trying to get even more back from it by perpetrating an insurance fraud :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

:"the tech is old, and LLs needs to get out in front before somebody else does."

Rubbish. LL runs the latest and greatest server software and the best hardware available. The client software beats whatever hell is possible out of OpenGL. Blizzard´s WoW is inferior to LL software by all means, except stability - but only due to the limited gameplay WoW has to offer. Naw, you´re on the wrong track.

Some people should accept that you cannot have a professional 3D editing suite in multiple user realtime. It´s simply impossible. Or do you think that Cameron rendered Avatar on a home PC using a DSL connection?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Phil Deakins wrote:


Coby Foden wrote:

Loss-or-no-loss.jpg

 

That car was clearly very badly damaged before the rock hit it, as can be seen by the state of the front end, which the rock didn't hit. So the owner very definitely had his/her full money's worth out of it. Imo, s/he is now trying to get even more back from it by perpetrating an insurance fraud
:P

The rock bounced.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...