RENAME function

Becca Vichan

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 5105 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

This probably is a question with a short and simple answer, but where did my RENAME capability go? 

I find it wise periodically to do maintenance on my Inventory so that I am able to keep track of things and find them when I want them, etc., and to keep a burgeoning inventory under control.  Hint hint to any people really new to SL - do this on a regular basis to keep yourself from going crazy.

One of the key things is to name your items in such a manner that they appear in a way that you can easily find what you want. Up until yesterday I had been doing famously with this, but be damned, I seem to have lost my RENAME ability.  I know it was there somewhere, very clearly in front of my eyes, and I have used it to good advantage, but now I cannot find it anywhere?

What the heck?  WHERE DID IT GO?  I know it is just a click away, but I don't know where that click is.

Can someone please point me in the right direction here?  There is nothing I can find in SL HELP about this critical function.

Thanks.

Becca

8 answers to this question

Thanks, Nyll.  Right click on the item.  Of course.  See, I knew it was just the "right" click away, ha ha.  Now I am happily renaming my items again. Whooooeeeeee!

BTW for Mac users like myself, "right click" means that you "Control Click" instead.

Becca

• Lindens

@Becca I'm big on Macs, what Mac do you have? More recent ones have mice with right-click — a multi-button mouse is a huge convenience and a great investment.

I use my Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer 3.0 with both Mac and Windows versions of Second Life, and my wife likes her Magic Mouse on her Mac.

As Nyll said, 'Rename' can be found in an inventory item's context menu. However the following cannot be renamed:

• System Folders
    (The ones in italics are Viewer 2 specific, but persist when you switch back to 1.x Viewers.)
    • the top level My Inventory folder
    • within My Inventory: Animations, Body Parts, Calling Cards, Clothing, Current Outfit, Favorites, Gestures, Landmarks, Lost And Found, My Outfits, Notecards, Objects, Photo Album, Scripts, Sounds, Textures, Trash
    • within My Inventory > Calling Cards: Friends and Friends > All
  • Everything in the Inventory Library (though you can rename copies of Library stuff in 'My Inventory', as such copies will be full-perm)
  • Items in Trash (restore them to rename them at their original location in inventory)
  • No-modify items
  • Calling Cards
  • Links to other items (as they appear in the Viewer 2 outfits)

(I might have missed some, but this should about be it.)

Boroondas.Gupte wrote:

No-modify items

• Calling Cards
  • Links to other items (as they appear in the Viewer 2 outfits)

Calling cards can be renamed since they're M/C/NT.

(Inventory links are NM/NC/NT just for the record)

---

As an aside, if someone *really* wanted to then they could "fake rename" system folders in 2.0 by tricking the UI translation (ie "Clothing" would still be named "Cothing" but it could appear as "Things to Wear" for instance).

Kitty.Barnett wrote:

Calling cards can be renamed since they're M/C/NT.

Hmm ... looks like they can be renamed in 1.x-based viewers, but not in Viewer 2. Interesting.

As an aside, if someone *really* wanted to then they could "fake rename" system folders in 2.0 by tricking the UI translation (ie "Clothing" would still be named "Cothing" but it could appear as "Things to Wear" for instance).

Hmm ... I wonder wether visibility of default folders can be set via XUI, too. Might be a cheap fix for VWR-17195.

Torley, I have a Mac iBook G4. I guess it is about 5 years old now, and it has a single click optical mouse.

Yeah, year, I know.  You're supposed to buy a new one everyt 6 months or so, in order to keep up with the latest and to be more "with it."  Well, I am going to the big city on Friday to do just that.  I'll buy one or another of the MacBooks.  I simply must have an updated computer to run SL, though I don't think I can afford a MacBook Pro.  Damn SL is a good site!

Mostly I do word processing, and for that this computer still works great, but SL is about to make me part with a whole lot of RL money where nothing else has succeeded in making me do so all these years.  Actually, I am afraid I will burn this one up if I keep running SL for long.  The cooling fan is on almost constantly, and there is an unhealthy smell ...... Yikes, I hope it doesn't suffer a fatal crash before I get my new machine running!  How COULD I do without SL for more than a couple of hours?

Becca

Boroondas, your answer is far too complicated for little old me, but I am sure it will be helpful to some who have more computer savvy than I do.

Anyway, thanks for your response, and Torley and Nyll too.  All I needed was that "right click" advice.

Becca

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 5105 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.