Skill Gaming Policy Thread

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2559 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Phil Deakins wrote:

What makes a gaming sim preferable to hang out in that other sims?

Are you stupid, Phil? (I think not)... Obviously, Caspian's partner, Mark, likes gaming and Caspian enjoys hanging out with him while he does it.

Perhaps Caspian should set up a non-pay-in game on thier private parcel, then offer him certain activities in lieu of monetary consideration, should he win big.

...Dres (or maybe they should just go f*ck.)

Caspian Pexington wrote:

Well that sucks. Thanks Florida! ppfftt.

My guy is in Texas and we like to go to this gaming sim to play and hang out. Is there not a way for me to just go there and hang out but not play? Can they not set it up to where it doesn't entirely block me (others) from the sim, but just blocks us from playing the machine? Seems ridiculous to alienate entire states from gaming sims when they could let us hang out and just block us from playing the game or playing but our winnings go back into the pot. 

This is an interesting idea Caspian, to block payment when on a gaming sim if you're not qualified. I imagine it wouldn't be terribly difficult to apply the same logic that prevents the non-qualified from entering a sim to disabling the "Pay" function. But then everything is easy in my imagination.

Be nice, if it actually worked though. I'm in a legal state, but my ISP most of the time routes me through one that isn't legal, sometimes it doesn't. So I can't get onto skilled gaming Sims most of the time. I don't play them that often, but I would like to be able to when I do want to.

Lisa Pye wrote:

Be nice, if it actually worked though. I'm in a legal state, but my ISP most of the time routes me through one that isn't legal, sometimes it doesn't. So I can't get onto skilled gaming Sims most of the time. I don't play them that often, but I would like to be able to when I do want to.

This is Linden Lab and, as such, things not working upon implementation is rather par for the course. Alternatively, if your ISP insists on routing you through other states, either tell them to cut it out or find a new ISP.

...Dres

Madelaine McMasters wrote:

Caspian Pexington wrote:

Well that sucks. Thanks Florida! ppfftt.

My guy is in Texas and we like to go to this gaming sim to play and hang out. Is there not a way for me to just go there and hang out but not play? Can they not set it up to where it doesn't entirely block me (others) from the sim, but just blocks us from playing the machine? Seems ridiculous to alienate entire states from gaming sims when they could let us hang out and just block us from playing the game or playing but our winnings go back into the pot. 

This is an interesting idea Caspian, to block payment when on a gaming sim if you're not qualified. I imagine it wouldn't be terribly difficult to apply the same logic that prevents the non-qualified from entering a sim to disabling the "Pay" function. But then everything is easy in my imagination.

it could be done by adding Skill Gaming to the G M A access list. To get it enabled then user has to declare on signup their RL location. No declaration then no access.  Is a bannable offence to false declare this. The onus then on the user in terms of personal use of the system

LL continue with operator licensing method as per the current policy bc of the way the RL laws are constructed in some jurisdictions of the world

Lisa Pye wrote:

But don't you already declare your RL location when you give your billing information? Specially with a credit card like I used, since the payment Information has to match the card information.

Your billing address is not necesarily the same as the address of your residence.

So IP must be getting taken into account also.

Yes that is exactly right. We like hanging with a certain group of people at a certain place and play greed. We do hang out at other places but there is a reason we like to hang out at this place on particular nights. It's not just for the gaming. It's for the company. I can't exactly say hey everyone, I can't play so let's all go hang out someplace else. 

But yes, if we did decide to play a non-paying game on our own private lot, you can bet your ass he would win something other than money ;) hehe but he can get a piece of this any day of the week lol

Caspian Pexington wrote:

But yes, if we did decide to play a non-paying game on our own private lot, you can bet your ass he would win something other than money
;)
hehe but he can get a piece of this any day of the week lol

Well now, I seriously doubt anyone would be able to beat those odds on a gaming sim... no matter how skilled they are.

...Dres

if that is the case then why cant I go to one of the gaming places,  I have  had payment into a long time, even deleted it as instructed and re entered the info and bought a few lindens, and I am age verfid but have not been able to enter any of the Skilled Gaming area's, I am not a premium member, so other then that why can't I go play,  Also dont live in one of the States that is banned.  Ty

Caspian Pexington wrote:

Yes that is exactly right. We like hanging with a certain group of people at a certain place and play greed. We do hang out at other places but there is a reason we like to hang out at this place on particular nights. It's not just for the gaming. It's for the company. I can't exactly say hey everyone, I can't play so let's all go hang out someplace else. 

But yes, if we did decide to play a non-paying game on our own private lot, you can bet your ass he would win something other than money
;)
hehe but he can get a piece of this any day of the week lol

If that's the case, there are plenty of greedy Greedy tables around that aren't in gaming sims. (If they've been updated, they are legal everywhere. Any that haven't been updated are now illegal everywhere).

Carl Thibodeaux wrote:

I got a random question. The list on the policy isn't updating...

But, Say i find a skill gaming sim such as this..

1e945f4b7fdd298162eef127eb575a57.png

Even if the policy page isn't updated.. is it safe to play here as its been switched over?

I don't see why not.  After all, if it wasn't approved, it wouldn't be listed as such.  Its not being on the list on the site simply being an oversight, is not outside the realm of possibilities... it is being managed by LL, after all.

...Dres

Dresden Ceriano wrote:

Carl Thibodeaux wrote:

I got a random question. The list on the policy isn't updating...

But, Say i find a skill gaming sim such as this..

1e945f4b7fdd298162eef127eb575a57.png

Even if the policy page isn't updated.. is it safe to play here as its been switched over?

I don't see why not.  After all, if it wasn't approved, it wouldn't be listed as such.  Its not being on the list on the site simply being an oversight, is not outside the realm of possibilities... it is being managed by LL, after all.

...Dres

That's an interesting point.  You can own a Skill Region (I'd guess for the purpose of renting) without being an Operator.  The FAQ do make a distinction.

I own a region and would like it to be converted to a Skill Gaming Region. What do I need to do?

• Submit a support ticket and pay the applicable maintenance fee.
  • Skill Gaming Regions will begin rolling out in late July, 2014.
  • Once your region has been designated a Skill Gaming Region, you will need to become an approved operator if you would like to operate games of skill on that region. For more details, please review the Skill Gaming Policy and application.

A question here would be if LL will tolerate a Skill Region Owner allowing an unapproved  Operator to set up shop.  I'm certain the Region owner would make it clear in their covenant.  They'd be foolish not to.

How **bleep** LL will be about someone unknowingly playing an unapproved game on an approved region we will have to see.

ETA:  Looking a little further, The Official Policy states:

5. Skill Gaming Regions

1. Each Region Owner of a Skill Gaming Region assumes responsibility for verifying that all Skill Games operated in its Skill Gaming Region are operated by Operators approved by Linden Lab through the Skill Gaming application process. Linden Lab will maintain a list of Operators.

never posted on this forum, just hope with this publication alert the LL to the reality of the moment and the new TOS.

First, the LL should look at the avatars, not as puppets but as persons who are behind them.
Right now we have operators with years of games in second life, denied for reasons without any foundation, and worse, no answers to possible defense, after spending a few thousand dollars on lawyers.
We all know that LL is the law in second life, but according to the law, all people should have access to the accusations, to be able to defend themselves if they feel unjustly accused.

The new law on games of skill is being a failure, not because it is poorly made, but, to be being misapplied.
Listen to people who are "this side" of the games certainly have more favorable paths to all in the application of this new law.
Work to Years in second life, and costs see the games in second life to end, and in turn, a second life to fall apart due to poor implementation of this new policy.

"...everything can change when it recognizes the error..."

(translated by google)

I absolutely agree that if Applicants are being rejected, after spending thousands of dollars on legal advice etc etc, then the least they deserve is an explanation as to why and how their application failed.   Although it does seem really unfair, its also not surprising.   There was always that possibility that some would spend a lot of real money, only to be rejected by Linden Labs.   Its a case of "you pays your money and takes your chance" but at the very least they should be entitled to, and expect, an explanation.

Virtual Rae wrote:

never
posted
on this forum
just hope
with this publication
alert the
LL
to
the reality
of the moment and
the new
TOS

First, the
LL
should look at
the avatars
not as
puppets
but
as persons
who are
behind
them

Right now we have
operators
with years of
games
in
second life
denied
for reasons
without any foundation
and
worse,
no
answers to
possible
defense
after spending
a few thousand
dollars
on lawyers

We all know that
LL
is the law
in
second life
but
according to the law
all people
should
have access
to the
accusations
to be able to
defend
themselves if they feel
unjustly
accused

The
new law on
games
of
skill
is being
a failure
not
because it is
poorly made
but
to be
being
misapplied

Listen to
people who are
"
this side
"
of the games
certainly
have
more
favorable
paths
to all
in the application
of this new law

Work to Years
in
second life
and costs
see the games
in
second life
to end
and in turn
a
second life
to fall apart
due to poor
implementation of this new
policy

"...everything can
change
when it
recognizes
the error..."

(translated
by
google
)

Can you point or link to any first hand accounts of this happenning?

I wouldn't be surprised if it did. 

But we 'love' the rumour mill.  ;)

Scary Jester wrote:

why are regions full of games still on the grid not even with a stamp of approval on the land or the owner/operators

If the list is not being updated as sims and games and owners are approved, how is one to know whree its ok to game or not.

As far as I can see, LL is not providing a list of the Skill Gaming SIMs.

But you can always check "About Land."  It will clearly state that it is a "skill gaming region" for region type if it is registered with LL.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2559 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.