Web on a prim: question for the Brits

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 5135 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Now, there's no way we're gonna be allowed to watch iplayer, is there? I can access it, but when I try to watch anything all I can manage to get is the swirly buffering thing, which is still going after 15 minutes. Do you think it'll actually work, if I wait long enough, or is it being blocked somehow? It would be great if it did; would love to watch Doctor Who with my colonial chums

3 answers to this question

I mean, getting video isn't a problem because I was watching live Formula 1 early this morning from the BBC website.

Hmm, does this mean we'll be able to watch to watch the World Cup inworld? Would be great, but wonders if the lag of multiple avs watching will cause buffering that would make matches unwatchable.

*Edit* Can't get Sky Player, it seems. I log in, but at the next screen it doesn't recognise that I have.

Dear Gareth8

I understand your frustration; as a transplanted Brit-American living in Denmark I can't see any of this content either. The BBC iPlayer is not the same as the BBC website. iPlayer (and similar software from ITV, Channel 4, Channel 5 and likely others) does not allow streaming of their programmes outside of the UK (the same goes for U.S. networks). I assume this has to do with telecommunications regulations and licensing issues. Indeed, the BBC can't even put all of its programmes into iPlayer due to licensing agreements with the content providers (see their explanation at http://iplayerhelp.external.bbc.co.uk/help/download_programmes/outsideuk). UK residents (and in many other countries as well) have to pay a TV licence fee (in the UK to support the BBC), so perhaps this is one reason not to distribute content outside of the UK.

I assume all streamed media is going directly to one's IP address, and not through anyone else's (Linden Lab's or the person sharing the media), which is why viewing in  SL would make no difference.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 5135 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.