(Noob Issues) modding problems with furry avatar eyes and hiding fur fluff

wintersonnet

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3538 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello second life users! I recently joined second life and bought a curious chinchilla avatar model with a nala the lion mod kit. Everything appears to be working fine but I am having issues with the eyes. I have these really thick black lines covering up my eyes that I cannot seem to remove. It appears to look like an issue with the eyelashes but I am not sure seeing how I just started modding yesterday. Also, the curious chinchilla has some slight cheek fur located under each ear. I cannot seem to remove them from my head which is causing a problem since the textures for the skin are being condensed onto the furry part of the cheecks and is messing up the look of my character. If you happen to know what is going on with my avatar please let me know, I would greatly appreciate it. If you want pictures of my avatar issues just friend me and I wil send some pictures to help you understand.

Thank you so much for helping a noob!

winter sonnet

When editing anything that has multiple parts, you need to make sure you're selecting the correct part when retexturing an object. With those chinchilla heads, there is multiple pieces that need to be edited with the textures. You'll probably want to take out a new head since you most likely just slapped the texture on there (gathered from the fact that you have not removed or at least made the cheek fur transparent, as well as overwriting the transparent eye shine :3) 

Take out a new head, Edit> select Face> and put the textures on those. You have the nose/muzzle Left/muzzle Right/ and the jaw which is loose, you don't want to overwrite the texture that has the teeth and tongue or the transparent eye shine texture.

With the cheek fuzz, you'll want to select faces and put them transparent, in the texture tab put the transparency to 100% (easiest method especially since you're new and don't understand the intricacies of editing linked yet) Or, edit linked, select each cheek fuzz and unlink. make sure before you unlink each time that 'edit linked' is ticked and you're selecting the correct part to unlink otherwise you'll just end up making a mess and have to pull out a new head and start over :3

You're welcome! :matte-motes-little-laugh:

Modding tutorials? I've no idea lol. There's pretty much anything goes with your imagination and capability :3 Really all there is to it is trial and error, I'm always learning new things (even 3 years later) and it applies to just about everything to do with SL. 

Most modkits you get will actually tell you how to do something specific to the design that they went for, helping you to recreate it; also, getting into avatar groups like KzK, DsD, Utilizator, maybe Hello Grymmy, I think the Chimera group you can find some help in also (that's a mall you can go to specifically for purchasing mod pieces and whatnot) Though I'm not a fan, Symbiotic also has a mod mall, though I don't know about their group. You'll also get more help in goups like those than you would in these forums. While I don't label myself as a furry, (more a shape changer) I love getting info and learning new things as new avatars come out. 

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry to jump on your thread but I am having problems as well. I can't seem to find a place where i am allowed to add textures. Is there a certain place i can go to take objects out of my inventory to mod them? Also do you hav to connect the flappy jaw to the chinchilla head before adding textures? Thanks =)

The shop that sells that avatar is in the middle of a giant sim sized sandbox.

Its highly likely that someone in that sandbox will know how to deal with specific issues people are having with that avatar. I believe there is a connection between ownership of the shop and that sandbox (but not sure).

Also as a sandbox, it probably allows rezzing objects for editing them.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3538 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.