Second Life 2.0 - suggestions - what you wish?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3550 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

IMHO

Second Life 2.0 needs:

- new opensource scripting language, possibly python.

- new format uploads for music and images: animated png or animated gif, mp3 and “module format music”

- custom mesh skeleton rigging and animating, i want the possibility to create NPCs that moves with a skeleton.

- standards restrictions for uploads, an accessory can’t have THOUSAND vertices. There are already restrictions and costs for stuff you put on land, but not restrictions for stuff you wear.

- possibility to upload new media formats, i want to sell my books on secondlife, i want to upload a pdf and simply have it like a book to people to read inworld.

- i want to upload games made in blender and sell it.

why? i want more interaction, more stuff to do and to share, i want to go on a land and fight zombies that moves like zombies and not laggy pieces, i want to create a 3d adventure land, where npc talk and move naturally.

And yet LL are still to announce SL2 on the SL website, I find this very strange!

LL running around 3rd party sites giving out info but not on the site they own i.e the SL Blog

Edit to add

I think I will have to email LL direct to ask why they have not announced this on the blog since many people in SL don't speak English and there is growing confusion within the non English community in SL!

edit to add,

I have now emailed Linden Lab Direct with my concerns regarding this issue and i await a reply^^

Morphs - Blend Shapes - Shape Keys

I can't stress this enough!

We don't need clothing physics if we have morphs, cause we can bake the physics into the mesh, and then play it using morphs. This is on top of all the other cool things we can do with morphs. They are really a must have today.

Bree Giffen wrote:

We need a virtual world that engages all of our senses. The Oculus Rift will give us sight and sound but we need taste, smell and touch! Think of it! It would be stupendous.

Although this sounds good, the reality of it is more likely to be horrendous than stupendous. Oculus users are already dealing with "rift sickness". Add taste, smell and touch, each with their own delays, asynchronicities and palette limitations and you've got a recipe that'll need more than Pepto-Bismol to keep down.

I really think LL needs to reconsider implementing the Mesh Deformer.

All the work for it is done and paid for.

It works completely different than Fitted Mesh so no reason they can't work side by side.

It makes custom mesh avatars work with all the Editing Appearance sliders.

With a few more options added Mesh Deformer 2.0 could be a game changer.

Here is a quick mesh head I made demonstrating how the mesh deformer allows the mesh head to be adjusted with all the Editing Appearance sliders.

This does not just work for custom mesh heads but all body parts or full custom mesh bodies.

The mesh deformer also automatically works with avatar physics and all animations and animation overrides.

Just rig your custom mesh body or body part to the normal skeleton bones and adjust the weights as we been doing for years.

In the mesh upload window select a few extra options and then upload you mesh.

That's it!

I want what I have wanted for the better part of 10 years.

A decent new user experience that actually teaches newbies how to function and includes avatars that look reasonably decent. COme on LL the new Mesh starter AVs are horrible. SKins that look like plaster walls.

Yes Phoebe, you are on to something there. Also I personally believe that Abbe Linden is really a Martian hired by the Kremlin to spread communism in SL. OMG red under the bed, quick, better run!!!

1. Vouchers to replace SL1 land with SL2 land

2. Vouchers to replace the lost value of inventory so I can replace my considerable investment in SL1 towards SL2

3. A user interface that does not split the world in to "Noobs" and "Someone finally told me how to get Firestorm and omg its so much better" users.

4. How about not screwing over the user base every 18 months?

SimonTemplar Bernard wrote:

I wonder how I am gonna type with a rift headset on

You drill some holes onto the Oculus display screens. A bit similar way as in this example:

Pinhole-glasses.jpg

Problem solved!

This amazingly innovative tip has been given as a free service to all Oculus Rift users. :matte-motes-big-grin:

[Edit]

If more transparency is needed just enlarge the holes by using a bigger drill.

they need to greese up the economy imho

fix mp search

all products should be demo

all inworld product should be clickable by the owner to leave a MP rating/review

heavier sales tax on MP than inworld sales

rating/reviews should be incentivised with cash back from the increased sales tax to both the creator and purchaser

figure out some scaled tax to disincentivise relisting older products

Coby Foden wrote:

You drill some holes onto the Oculus display screens. A bit similar way as in this example:

Pinhole-glasses.jpg

Problem solved!

This amazingly innovative tip has been given as a free service to all Oculus Rift users. :matte-motes-big-grin:

[Edit]

Have I ever told you that you're brilliant?

I had a few ideas for the MarketPlace.

1. Everything can be demo at Demo Islands in Skyboxes in SL.
      Only one person can be in a Skybox.
      Demos only last about 5 minutes before they automatically self delete.
      Each Demo Island may be made up of hundreds of SkyBoxes and you can not Teleport someone to your the Skybox you are using neither can you rez or build anything or run scripts.

2. Limit the number of times an item can be sold on the MarketPlace before it is automatically unlisted.
       This will get rid of the problem of people putting things up for sale and then leaving SL for good clogging up the MarketPlace with old outdated not supported items.
       To relist the item make it super simple just one or two clicks for the merchant on the MarketPlace.

3.  After say six months to a year if an item on the MarketPlace has not been purchased at least once it is automatically unlisted.
       Again it could be relisted by the just a few clicks of the mouse by the merchant.
       This would again help get rid of a bunch of items that are just clogging up the search results.

Madelaine McMasters wrote:

Coby Foden wrote:

Pinhole-glasses.jpg

Problem solved!

[Edit]

Have I ever told you that you're brilliant?

Thank you Maddy!  :matte-motes-bashful-cute-2: :heart:

I might invent some other equally awesome idea in the future for the benefit of the community. :matte-motes-nerdy: :smileyhappy:

i kinda see relisting as a problem, or at least not being able to sort by a true creation date. im not sure how it could be fixed tho, maybe a stepped sales tax might help, like the longer an item is listed the the less the sales tax there is. idk lol

1. GUI-based simple script functions. Swinging door, sliding door, touch for sound, object rotation, etc etc. All built into the build menu with simple check boxes and number inputs. So that for basic scripting you never have to touch a line of code. More advanced stuff would obviously require actual scripting. But the basics would be there for us noobs.

2. Better sound and sound options. Again, GUI based sound scripting with controls for reverb, delay, range, volume, looping, etc.

3. Larger parcels with lower tier and higher land impact. If the game is written properly using new and modern techniques and technology these things *should* be possible.

4. A second UV map channel for either layering decals or baking lightmaps.

5. Better terraforming and terrain painting tools.

6. Features included to somehow make SL more of an actual game. How that can be done, I dont know lol.

7. Oculus Rift support from the get-go.

8. A dedicated viewer supplied camera object for making videos. Capabilities for dolly shots, crane shots, what have you.

9. If voxels must be included to build with, please do not make them the only building option. They will always look bad. An expanded and optimized primitive(as in prims) building system will work fine for most things, and mesh is confirmed already.

10. Simplify the permission system so that merchants dont have the headache caused by the whole current process.

11. Viewer-level support for proper vehicles and vehicle physics. I'm talking built in functionality.

12. Better sim crossing(somehow).

I could probably go on and on but I'll spare you. :)

Bree Giffen wrote:

I seriously don't want any more attachable hands, feet, heads, boobs, wieners, etc. Just make the avatar have them all and make them look good!

sSig_agreed.gif

Indeed so, the default avatar should be so good that there is no need for body attachments to hide the ugly default one. Yes.

Coby Foden wrote:

Pinhole-glasses.jpg

Problem solved!

[Edit]

jejejeje (:

like this you mean??

maxresdefault.jpg

Phoebe Avro wrote:

And yet LL are still to announce SL2 on the SL website, I find this very strange!

LL running around 3rd party sites giving out info but not on the site they own i.e the SL Blog

Edit to add

I think I will have to email LL direct to ask why they have not announced this on the blog since many people in SL don't speak English and there is growing confusion within the non English community in SL!

edit to add,

I have now emailed Linden Lab Direct with my concerns regarding this issue and i await a reply^^

I don't find it strange since it's not SL2.

Why announce in a second life forum or site about another virtual world that is not second life?

ETA: A good place to be updated on new products is probably here where you can sign up :smileyhappy:

http://lindenlab.com/products

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3550 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.