Need help taking off scripts

Umaeril

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3575 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi I got a message saying I have too many scripts and huds on and something about getting my avatar to 9MB (which is odd because it was at 3MB).

I am not sure what to take off. I don't even know a good place to go to stand and arrange my clothes. Every place I go there are people. There was this very nice quiet sandbox and today it is full of cars and people flying around. I am hesitant to sit there and disrobe and fiddle with my clothes because people come up to me (however my speaker is disabled and if they are talking I can't hear them >_< ). 

So how do I take off the scripts (not even sure what they are). I know what HUD stands for, and yet I do not know what it does or how to make it less, per the automated request that I got? Also, where is a good private place to go and change my avatar? Thanks so much in advance. 

First off, such warnings are sent by objects owned by land owners to encourage you to reduce the script usage on their land. They aren't an official warning from LL and you don't have to obey them. If you ignore them, however, you might get kicked off the land in question, but you won't be banned from SL. So respect the advice and warnings, but don't panic too much.

A lot of items you wear can contain scripts. They are short pieces of code to add controls or interaction to an object. Common examples include resize scripts designed to change the size of hair or other attachments, animation scripts that run the animations in your AO, or scripts that change an object's appearence by applying textures or colours.

A HUD is a Head-Up Display. It refers to any object that attaches to your screen rather than to your avatar's body. They usually control things like Animation Overriders or combat systems.

So, what can you do? Remove any objects with excessive scripts, or remove the scripts from the objects. Does an object you are wearing have resize controls? It'll probably have a 'delete' option in the menu to remove the scripts. Make a copy to keep in inventory and delete the scripts in the one you wear. Do you wear a combat HUD outside of RP areas? Take that off. Work through the attachments you have and eliminate anything you don't actually need. But mostly, don't panic about it too much unless you've been asked to leave somewhere you like because of it.

eta: for somewhere quiet to go... some stores offer changing rooms, usually a skybox high above the store accessed by a teleporter. I have my own place, but if it's laggy I look for an empty mainland sim with some deep water and hide there.

Thank you very much Kelli May for your advice. I will try to find a spot and carefully go through and see what I have on. I have some sparkles on and I bet that is what is doing it. But I can take them off for now.

I'll look under the ocean, lol.  Why is finding a spot so hard. I guess I could be premium and then I would get a house maybe. Idk how it works but I'll read about it. 

Thank you! 

Thank you Syo Emerald. 

I found a spot under the ocean, haha! Thank you for letting me know I don't need premium to get a house..

But where are these quiet spots I wonder. 

Sadly another question: 

How can I make my avi's boobs smaller they look like giant boyant footballs. I am wearing something called MOUJIN: Carmen avatar model shape. 

Right-click on avatar, edit shape. Go to the torso tab and reduce breast size. You might want to adjust cleavage and buoyancy, too. If it won't let you edit your shape, it's because the shape is 'no mod'. Some creators sell their products with permissions set so you can't change them; I avoid buying anything like that. If so, you'll have to either put up with it, obtain a shape with better boobs, or make one for yourself.

Another tip: if you do change a shape, use 'save as' or create a copy first rather than just 'save', just in case you prefer things as they were.

Perfect, I did that with some help actually from a friend online. So that is done. I have removed the script heavy items like the golden sparkles I had on. I'll use them judiciously. 

I has more questions. :smileyhappy:

Is there a way to see a closeup of my face to do the makeup and stuff I want to add please? She keeps turning this way and that way. 

The shape I have seems very adjustable, so I like it. I am sure it is not a "mesh". Can I buy any non-mesh skin for it? Is it best to buy a shape and a skin at the same time together? 

What does "petite" mean in the context of shopping for items please? 

All shapes are adjustable in the same way and the same amount, but its always nice if you got one that you like. Skins and shapes can be exchanged in any way, they are completely seperate from each other. The combination of a shape and a skin defines how your avatar looks like. Some skins look strange on some shapes, but wonderful on others.

There are many many skin stores in Second Life. I suggest to visit a few and browse the marketplace, but try a demo version of the skin, before you buy it, because you really want to see how a certain skin matches your shape.

With the camera controls you can turn your camera view to see your avatar from the front. However, if you want that your avatar stands still, your best option is to search the marketplace for a free posestand. A posestand is an object that you can drop down to the ground and use it. It will bring your avatar into a static position, which makes it easier to take a closer look.

The word "petite" in the context of shopping means that a certain product is only made for a special avatar brand, usually very tiny faries, which need clothes and objects especially made for them, to fit their mesurements.

Wow tiny fairies! That sounds very cool. 

Thank you so much for your help. I got a nice skin and dress and have experimented and got rid of the scripts and I think I am doing well now. 

I really appreciate all the help and advice I got here, thank you all! 

Rather than going to a quiet place, try the opposite. Go to an adult sim, nude beach, everyone will be naked, nobody will care.

Next, not all shapes are modify so it's possible that you won't be able to edit yours. One reason not to buy or use no mood shapes.

Script counters that count memory alone are usually wrong (i won't explain here why) and placed by paranoid land owners who have found the latest thing they can use for discrimination. When mesh render cost is exposed to LSL (if ever) then I'm sure that will be the next one used.

How does one quote people here?

Thank you Sassy Romano. How does one know what is fashionable and what is out of date? Also, thanks for the tip about removing scripts, interesting. 

Regarding saving an outfit, I have a lot of trial outfits saved. If I remove them (remove a saved outfit) does that remove the items too, so that I can no longer access them? My inventory is a mess, trying to fix it. 

Just above the reply edit field is a quote button but it's a bit crap, it's very much an all or nothing.

As to what's fashionable and what's not, all I can say is have a look around at what others are wearing and to be honest, grow a thick skin, nothing of what anyone says is fashionable or not has any relevance as long as you're happy and you can bet that anyone that's sniggering ALSO wore the same stuff when they were knew, I know I did and I was happy and looked fab (to me) :)

Just let your SL evolve at whatever pace you want it to, it's your SL afterall.

Unless you actually delete items in inventory, nothing is removed.  Removing an outfit just means unwearing the items that's all.

Ok I found the quote button now, thanks so much, lol.

I agree about what is fashionable and what is not, thank you for reminding me that really I need to go with what I like. That is very important and I forgot for a moment. :) Thank you for that. *nods*

And now...a different question.

There are some threads that show up outside of this forum, when I look at the forum descriptor and for example there is The Vanity Thread...but I do not see that thread in here. Why is that please? Sorry to be such a newbie. 

The Vanity Thread and others are very old threads. Before you click on a subforum (for examle the lifestyle forum) you get displayed the newest thread and the thread with the newest reply. If the newest reply is made in the Vanity Thread, then this thread appears there. But if you enter that subforum you get a display with all threads sorted from the date they were created with the newest on top of the page. That means very old threads won't appear there.

Neato wow, thanks so much, I had no idea they were subforums, lol. *idiot*

Anyhow, back to the avatar. I have gone several places on the "Destinations" list. One landed me in the middle of a dance floor. How do you extract yourself from situations like this? It is difficult to walk, I am not very used to not running into things. I guess my computer is slow. I suspect it is very bad manners to walk thru people (right?) so what do they expect if they put you in the middle of a dance floor anyhow? I jetted out of there. 

Could my computer be slow due to what I am wearing? I do have this "walk" that someone gave to me, it animates how I walk I forget what it is called, could that slow down my computer? Plus these destinations seem graphics intense. Maybe I am limited by my computer. 

The thing that influences your walk is called an AO (Animation Overrider) and don't worry, its not the cause of your lag problem. That the destination guide drops you in the middle of a dance floor is probably not the best way to start, because then your computer as to load not a huge (and probably very detailed and texturerich) part of the club, but also many many other avatars, which can slow you down, if your computer and/or internet connection can't handle that much information at once. This problem happens to everyone every now and then, but how often and how soon depends on your hardware and connection.

There are different ways to try to minimize lag. Mostly by adjusting graphic settings and such. Others will probably be able to give you a bit more details on that. One simply solution is to avoid highly crowded places and to give things time to rez proberly. If you use the normal search function rather than the destination guide, it will be unlikely that you get teleported right on the dancefloor.

Well if a TP like that lands you in the middle of the dance floor that's their fault, they can set teleport routing to avoid that such that you have to walk from an arrival point to the venue.  If you land there, tough, not your fault, just walk off to the side, no drama!

If you find movement slow then it could be a number of things, including a slow PC but we can't say without more info.  Please go to the Help, About Secondlife menu option in the viewer and copy and paste the CPU and Graphics section.

The walk replacement is an animation overrider, it's unlikely to be the issue.

If I'm dropped in the middle of a crowd, I have two strategies. One is to dial the mini-map in very close, and use it to guide myself past the other green dots. It lets me move about accurately in busy areas before other avatars have rezzed - very useful in busy areas like sales and infohubs with a crowded landing point.

If things are laggy I cam out and look for something to sit on. This works especially well in clubs, which often have seating around the edge of the dance floor. I just have to be careful exactly *what* I sit on at some places.

Thank you for all of the replies! I am especially eager to learn about the mini map. Does that map mean I don't have to use the arrow keys to move? It is very slow and awkward using the keyboard.  I tried another viewer called Singularity, only the controls are odd and it looks really complicated. Maybe it is worth trying again?

Also, it seems I missed 3 people who said hello to me at the club. I guess messages come at you fast. How do you keep them organized? Or....oh anyone can see you talk, I forgot.  I have to get used to talking to strangers, lol, 

Sassy Romano wrote:

Well if a TP like that lands you in the middle of the dance floor that's their fault, they can set teleport routing to avoid that such that you have to walk from an arrival point to the venue.  If you land there, tough, not your fault, just walk off to the side, no drama!

If you find movement slow then it could be a number of things, including a slow PC but we can't say without more info.  Please go to the Help, About Secondlife menu option in the viewer and copy and paste the CPU and Graphics section.

The walk replacement is an animation overrider, it's unlikely to be the issue.

Ok here is the CPU and graphics info, thank you for looking at it! 

CPU: AMD Athlon II X2 250 Processor (2999.99 MHz)

Memory: 2816 MB
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 64-bit Service Pack 1 (Build 7601)
Graphics Card Vendor: ATI Technologies Inc.
Graphics Card: ATI Radeon 3000 Graphics

Windows Graphics Driver Version: 8.17.0010.0024
OpenGL Version: 4.0.9836 Compatibility Profile Context

libcurl Version: libcurl/7.24.0 OpenSSL/0.9.8q zlib/1.2.5
J2C Decoder Version: KDU v7.0
Audio Driver Version: (none)
Qt Webkit Version: 4.7.1 (version number hard-coded)
Voice Server Version: Not Connected
Built with MSVC version 1600
Packets Lost: 0/0 (-1.0%)

Thank you to the other replies, sorry if I missed an individualized reply to each but I read all the answers and am very appreciative of all the help. 

So I found out what happens if you Copy and Wear. It takes everything off and voila nude again! Luckily I had my outfit saved and could quickly put it back on. Hehehe. 

Your computer is a bit low powered, but it should work ok in low or medium graphics settings.

One way you may be able to get a performance boost is to look at the network bandwidth settings. By default I think it puts people on 500mbs. If you have a faster connection you should be able to increase that.

I recommend looking up helping haven and Caledon University .in search, they are both friendly areas with people that enjoy helping people who are starting out in SL.

I use Singularity, find it the simplest for my purposes.  Whatever viewer you choose, join the inworld support group for it, as they can answer any questions you have about it.  Firestorm also has regualar little mini-classes on their viewer now.

I keep track of IMs because the IM window keeps tabs on how many I have waiting. Local chat I am likely to miss but I dont get a lot of those anyway. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3575 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.