Hacked account?

Azula Pyrithea

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 5118 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

How do you know if someone hacks into your account?  I received an IM from someone accusing me of hacking into her account-she wasn't even near me, not a friend, and I have no clue how to hack anything.  The next day, I received a screen shot of another avi using inventory items that were 'tagged' as mine in the control panel, as well as an IM from a sl friend who was upset by something I apparently told her when I wasn't even on sl yet that day.  I changed my password, but don't know how to report this, or even if there's anything to report because I can't tell if I was hacked or not...please help.  The only thing I'm able to make out from the screen shot is that the controls are for a 'Stretch Limo' that I received from someone else, opened in a sandbox but never rezzed.  The control box says that "Nightmare Dench has taken control of your computer" along with some words about how the person is a waste of space.  I didn't receive this message when I rezzed the Limo...is the Limo a means to hack others?  I'm just so confused as to what's going on and how I can prevent someone hacking my account or using my account to hack others...

11 answers to this question

Contact with LL. See http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Linden_Lab_Official:Someone_else_has_my_password;_I_may_have_been_the_victim_of_fraud.:

Linden Lab Official:Someone  else has my password; I may have been the victim of fraud.

From Second Life Wiki

Second  Life Wiki > Knowledge Base > Someone else has my password; I may have  been the victim of fraud.
Jump to: navigationsearch
Ll_color_vert_100.gif
Official Linden Lab®  Information: This article is part of the Second  Life® Knowledge Base. You may access and link to this page, but you  may not copy, distribute, modify, adapt, or translate any content on  this page.  This content is subject to the Terms of  Service and is not available under the Creative Commons or any other  license.

Have a suggestion to improve this page? Contact us.

Template:Needs Translation/KB/de Template:Needs Translation/KB/es Template:Needs Translation/KB/el Template:Needs Translation/KB/fr Template:Needs Translation/KB/he Template:Needs Translation/KB/it Template:Needs Translation/KB/ja Template:Needs Translation/KB/ko Template:Needs Translation/KB/nl Template:Needs Translation/KB/hu Template:Needs Translation/KB/no Template:Needs Translation/KB/da Template:Needs Translation/KB/sv Template:Needs Translation/KB/tr Template:Needs Translation/KB/pl Template:Needs Translation/KB/pt Template:Needs Translation/KB/ru Template:Needs Translation/KB/uk Template:Needs Translation/KB/zh-Hans Template:Needs Translation/KB/zh-Hant

/KB

How do I know if my account was compromised?

• If you cannot access your account
  • If you suddenly notice a reduced available balance on the  payment source you have on file.

What should I do?

Contact us immediately!

Here are the steps:

1. Login to the Support Portal. (If you cannot log into your account,  use our Guest Access Log In.)
  2. Click the Submit a Ticket link.
  3. In the Ticket Type Field, select Special Questions  > Basic Account or Guest Login from the dropdown list.
  4. Select My account has been shut off and I don't know why.
  5. Fill in the rest of the fields as directed.
  6. Copy the Tracking Number for your new ticket.
  7. You'll receive an email containing your ticket information.
  8. Call the Fraud number: 800-860-6990

How will Linden Lab resolve my compromised account?

First, Linden Lab will place your account on hold, and investigate  the relevant transactions. This may take a few days in some cases. Once  we have concluded the investigation, we will send you an email  explaining our conclusion and explaining the action that will be taken  with respect to your account. As a reminder, all transactions involving  L$ are subject to Linden Lab's Terms of  Service.

If you are basing your belief that your account was hacked because of what someone saw in a sandbox you may be jumping the gun. It is very easy to get objects to spoof the name of someone else, in chat or dialog boxes. There are a lot of griefer objects in sandboxes and my first guess is this was done by one of them.

In most cases accounts are hacked to gain access to lindens the person owns, or do something with the account to cause that particular account holder problems. Most often when someone relates a strange converstation from IM the user knows they did not make, my experience says someone in the same household got a hold of the account.

An object can not steal or hack your account. There are ways passwords and account credentials can be gotten, but not from an object in SL.

Frankly, if nothing is missing, I would just change my password, DO NOT check the Remember Password box on the login screen, and let it go. Watch your account activity and see if you continue to have these issues. You can also look at your transaction history and see if anything has been bought or sold you did not do.

• Like 1

The object you are talking about is a known griefer tool. It spams your screen until you lag out and crash. I had it used by someone once that wanted a sandbox all to themselves. I had just gone there to open up a merged item from my lost and found from a massive return and knew I would need the space. Those thing can randomly grab an avatar name and spoof it. It doesn't mean your account was hacked, just your name was used. Just let the people that contacted you that this is what happened. That "control box" does nothing and means nothing. In fact, I showed those results to the resident greifer expert at Sensual Stoneworks who went to where I was having the problem and investigated it since she had not seen that before. It is my understanding that she is working on a block for it as well as a way to detect who is really sending it.

I can remember back when I first started SL there was a griefer tool that started when I landed in the welcome area. It was screaming out racial ephithets with my name attached to it so it looked like I was the one shouting out that crap. Griefers will use anyone and anything to get their jollies. Good luck

• Like 1

Thanks so much.  I'm almost positive that this is what happened.  I was told by another friend in sl that this happened to them as well.  I know no one in my rl got into my account, so this seems like the most obvious answer, especially since nothing is missing-inventory, lindens, etc..  As a fairly newbie, though, this griefer stuff is difficult to figure out sometimes and I suppose I just freaked a bit

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 5118 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.