Should I join?

xBamfo

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3580 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello. I am curious if I should come into Second Life at where the current state of the game is. I've been looking around the forums, am surprised to see that there are threads that are recent, but also that there is a new second life being developed.

So, with the new one being developed, and this version being quite old, what is the current state of the amount of people inside SL, and would it be a good idea to join up at this period of time?

Is it a good idea? Or is it basically like parachuting onto a collapsing building?

SL is in the same state now that it was before the news of the new development was announced. The same people are making the same things, putting on the same activities, showing the same creativeness and artistry. It will be for years to come. So, sure, come on in, enjoy YOUR Second Life!

The new virtual world being discussed in these forums is supposedly open for beta testing sometime in 2015.  Since they just started to work on it, it probably won't open for beta testing until late in that year (and possibly later than that) and will be in beta one year. Personally I think these estimates are very optimistic and assume everything works relatively well right out of the gate.

When it is out of beta it will probably take at least one year to be populated by regular people that are not creators.  When it  opens for beta it will have zero content and nothing to do.  It will take a minimum of two years from opening until there is even a small percentage of the content and things to do that SL has now.

In the meantime, SL will remain open and will continue to operate even after the new world opens.  You will have a choice when the new world opens of staying in SL (which will continue to operate as LL has no plans at this point in shutting it down and won't unless the population shrinks so much that is not worth maintaining), migrating to the new grid, or having an account in both.  Posts saying SL is a lame duck is just the opinion of some people.  It could very well be that a lot of people don't go to the new grid or even that the new grid will fail if LL doesn't do it right.

Only you can decide what to do, but if it were me I'd go ahead and join and experience what a virtual world where anything is possible pretty much.  While the new grid will be different, but in many ways similar, and there will be a learning curve for everyone, including people who have been in SL from its start,  it won't be completely foreign.  By then you'll have two years or more of experience and should adapt to the new grid fairly easily IF you decide to migrate or open an account there.  You also will be able to join the discussions, with at least some knowledge and experience in virtual worlds, that the CEO of Linden Lab promises to have with SL residents concerning how the new grid will be designed and work.

Of course it's up to you, but what have you got to lose if you do join?

Amethyst said it all here, in a very good post. So read her well and think about it.

Also, please always take everything you read in forums with a grain of salt. While some people try to discuss matters in a honest way, some other people just want to make noise for whatever reason. And more: most people in SL don't even care about the forums unless they have some problem they need help with.

CharlieMack wrote:

This has got to be one of the better (if not best) non-hyperbole answers or comments concerning the new Second Life.

Down to earth and logical.

Thanks Amethyst

I'm agreed!

And I'll add that as a midbie who fondly remembers her noobie days in SL back in early 2008, joining now allows you to enjoy the wonder that is still SL and in two years, enjoy that wonder all over again in SL2. But this time around, rather than being one of the late arrivals, you'll be a pioneer!

Come on in, the water's fine!

;-).

Madelaine McMasters wrote:

CharlieMack wrote:

This has got to be one of the better (if not best) non-hyperbole answers or comments concerning the new Second Life.

Down to earth and logical.

Thanks Amethyst

I'm agreed!

And I'll add that as a midbie who fondly remembers her noobie days in SL back in early 2008, joining now allows you to enjoy the wonder that is still SL and in two years, enjoy that wonder all over again in SL2. But this time around, rather than being one of the late arrivals, you'll be a pioneer!

Come on in, the water's fine!

;-).

I guess my 2004 rezdate makes me an oldbie :)

COme on in there is a whole huge world full of things to explore and do. People to meet and wonders to behold.

THe next world is at least 2 years away many of us figure it longer than that. Why not have fun now. 2 years is a long time.

"parachuting onto a collapsing building? It's more like paying up front for a first class cabin on the Marie Celeste.

Instead join me and I will show you a better life NOW - don't wait two years for disappointment. It may never happen.

Don't waste your money on stuff that will be out of date before you have had time to enjoy it. Make a commitment to my better world and I will take away all your money . . . worries.

Father "if it's free it's worth what you paid" Jim

A point that no one has mentioned might be to join SL now to see if you like it. The new system, I'm sure, will work under the same premise as the current system...including Griefers, Trolls and Bots. :matte-motes-sunglasses-3:

Considering that SL is free, I'm not sure why you are even hesitating:matte-motes-big-grin:  What have you got to loose? I'll tell you - missing out on seeing the great creativity that has flowered in Second Life over the years. There is so much you can do in SL - whatever you are interested in there'll be someone else there doing it already. SL really is what you make it!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3580 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.