Does it matter if SL DOES die?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3588 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

So if the new platform goes ahead and they expunge SL would it really matter?

Surely we have reached the limit of things to do on SL as it is?

Go dancing, flying, build and make clothes. Or RP or even grief. All has its limits.

The new platform might be 100 times better, and everyone will be too embarrassed to come on SL. Just like nobody uses the very silly but once popular Delphi Forums anymore.

All things run their course. Perhaps SL has run its. You have had the good times, now it's maybe time to let go.

It can live on in memories, but nobody "needs" it to go on.

KILLAKEBAB wrote:

So if the new platform goes ahead and they expunge SL would it really matter?

Go dancing, flying, build and make clothes. Or RP or even grief. All has its limits.

The new platform might be 100 times better, and everyone will be too embarrassed to come on SL. Just like nobody uses the very silly but once popular Delphi Forums anymore.

All things run their course. Perhaps SL has run its. You have had the good times, now it's maybe time to let go.

It can live on in memories, but nobody "needs" it to go on.

Killakebad: I think you will find this thread useful where much has been discussed about the matter:

Linden Lab is building a NEW virtual world

KILLAKEBAB wrote:

If you have found a limit of things to do on sl...I feel bad for you. There really is a lot more out there than people realize. You're limited more by your imagination than anything else in sl.

I've been here for quite a long time. I've still yet to do everything I want to do, nor have I found a limit...yet. Perhaps that day will come, but I honestly doubt it.(for me) If ever I were to get bored, and I have mind you, I leave for a while, come back with fresh eyes(bit of a pun for me, considering I've only one, lol), and go at it again.

Not even really going to comment on the rest-aka new world/grid/whatever, that discussion is absolutely everywhere already.

KILLAKEBAB wrote:

Exactly. 

Totally unrelated to the 'announcement', but seeming like as good a time as any, I decided to take a break from SL just this week. I haven't been 'feeling' it for a long time now so I let my parcel go and packed up after saying a couple goodbyes for now. 

I'll still peek in on the forums to keep up with the big 'happenings', but after 5yrs, eh - it's kinda lost its luster for me.

I've been in SL 8 years in August and haven't been bored even one day or run out of things to do or to create. 

You've been in SL just a few days , unless this is an alt and you are too chicken to post under your main.  If you seriously have run out of things to do,then you must not have much imagination.

Don't get me wrong, I am not against SL2 and look forward to experiencing it.  But as far as SL1 is concerned, it will only have run its course when there are not enough residents to make it worthwhile to maintain.  I suspect that not everyone will move to SL2 for a variety of reasons including, not liking change, not being able to have their entire inventory there, their friends don't make the move, they are attached to their homes here, to name a few.  Of those that do, many will maintain their SL1 account for a while to come or for a long time. 

So yes SL does matter to a lot of people.

KILLAKEBAB wrote:

It's a little more precarious than that. If SL1 goes away before SL2 succeeds, there could be a very long "winter" of virtual worlds. Some share of SL's population would find its way to some OpenSim based worlds for a while, but without LL's marketing (such as it is) to keep feeding it, that would dwindle away to irrelevance soon enough. Then there's whatever The Social Rift ends up being (if anything), and the long wait for Philip to make of High Fidelity something other than Distributed Davos with bllinkers.

The disappointing thing is that we can and must "let go" of this generation of virtual world technology. We'd not be so sanguine about "letting go" of the Internet, would we?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3588 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.