Leaving Reviews...

BettiRaige

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3577 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I am new here,  but I was on Imvu for over 6 years..   and one of the things I was 'famous' for was leaving great reviews.

What I notice here is if you buy something In World,  you can't leave a review.    This 'seem's like an easy fix as far as the programming thing goes..  so why have they not fixed this.     I tend to buy things based on the feedback I see in the reviews,  and I'm finding that a LOT of Realllly Amazing items don't have any.    

I'm sure the merchants would LOVE for this get fixed.   

ALSO...  Why are things like hair offered in 5 shades of the same color?   I like the style of the hair,  but I do not NEED 5 shades of white/black/red..   It would be more efficient if they offered one in EACH color.    I see some merchants offer this option, but not all.   Is there a reason??    I was thinking maybe it's a way for the merchant to get you to buy more colors.. but for me,  it would free me up to buying more STYLES from that merchant.    

Products must be purchased on MP to leave a review.  This is not IMVU and it is more complicated than you imagine to allow reviews of inworld purchases.  Merchants would have to use a specific vendor supplied by LL, and they would probably charge a fee and we don't want that.  I want to use the vendor of my choice with the features I want, and vendor systems vary.

With hair, your preferences are not everyones.  I prefer getting the color I want in various shades as the shade I wear varies depending on the outfit and what shade looks best with its colors., A lot of others like it too.  Just delete the ones you don't want, or shop in a hair store that you have to buy each color and shade seperately.

as Amethyst said, IMVU is very very very different from SL.

IMVU is so standardized that it was easy to have that sort of implement in place. But with the way SL is, the only way you could leave in world reviews would be for each creator to have a guestbook out in front of their store that pulled up messages received from buyers. However most people would never see these, they'd be likely targets for griefers, or the odd bored or angry customer.

If you really want to leave reviews, buy the item from the marketplace and leave reviews there.

Amethyst Jetaime wrote:

Merchants would have to use a specific vendor supplied by LL, and they would probably charge a fee and we don't want that.

It wouldn't *have* to be that way.  Though I did ask the question in the merchants forum a long time ago when Direct Delivery (next phase) was being discussed (even though DD phase 1 STILL is not finished) and the consensus from merchants was pretty much that since the review system is too easy to game, that they didn't value it anyway, thus inworld reviews onto MP wouldn't be worth it.

It could be done by something as simple as providing a field in the object edit dialog that linked that object to the MP item, then allow the buy event to trigger a relationship in the MP database such that the purchaser could then visit MP to leave a review.

That's what's missing at the moment, there's nothing triggered by the buy event.

(It would still be easy to game though) :)

Boxed items from a vendor would be even easier to implement as it would only require calling an API from MP to allow a reference between the vendor item and the associated MP item such that the pay event would trigger the script as normal but would just include the function to poke MP database with the flag that the item had been bought.

DD phase 2 was about producing an API for others to use hence why I asked the question when I did a long while back.  DD phase 2 seems to have gone very dead though and as I said, they haven't even finished phase 1 yet and I doubt they ever will now.

It's all moot but it could be done both ways but simply no appetite from either LL or merchants.

Thanks for the words of wisdom..    I get it.    This place is so huge, and while I did get 'some' training on Imvu.. the experience here is far more detailed somewhat complicated.   But I love every minute of it.    I feel like I 'gradutated' and out grew the other site,  and though it may be difficult sometimes,  the learning process is certainly rewarding.     

Since I really love leaving reviews on Amazing products, I will take the advice and purchase at Market.    I love the demo options,   but some merchants do not offer them.. which kind of sucks because they are rather expensive..    (Boudior)    

As far as the packages of 5 shades of the same hair color goes.. it drives me crazy,  but I will choose the ones I love and toss the others..  (gosh how I hate to throw away money)   But controlling my inventory is a goal  I take very seriously!  

Whoa no no nonon

Instead of tossing things, just stuff everything you don't want into a box, name the box "hair" and take it back into your inventory. That way you can have 50 hairs you don't use in just one box. Don't toss stuff just because you aren't using it now. You never know what you'll get into down the road on SL and having those 'useless' hairs at your disposal later on will be helpful.

BettiRaige wrote:

Thanks for the words of wisdom..    I get it.    This place is so huge, and while I did get 'some' training on Imvu.. the experience here is far more detailed somewhat complicated.   But I love every minute of it.    I feel like I 'gradutated' and out grew the other site,  and though it may be difficult sometimes,  the learning process is certainly rewarding.     

Since I really love leaving reviews on Amazing products, I will take the advice and purchase at Market.    I love the demo options,   but some merchants do not offer them.. which kind of sucks because they are rather expensive..    (Boudior)    

As far as the packages of 5 shades of the same hair color goes.. it drives me crazy,  but I will choose the ones I love and toss the others..  (gosh how I hate to throw away money)   But controlling my inventory is a goal  I take very seriously!  

In my experience, you don't pay more for hair that is sold in packs of different tones in the same color than you do for hair sold as one color one tone.  Its easier for the creator to sell them that way as they don't have to make so many individual packages. 

BettiRaige wrote:

ALSO...  Why are things like hair offered in 5 shades of the same color?   I like the style of the hair,  but I do not NEED 5 shades of white/black/red..   It would be more efficient if they offered one in EACH color.   

I like packs that have one of each color (black, brown, dark blonde, light blonde, red, etc...) Some places call them "naturals" or "undecided".

When they have 5 different shades of the same color such as "light blondes", it's fine for me because I may like some of the different shades, but I can see your point.

Let's say a pack of light blondes costs 300L but you only want one color such as platinum blonde. Then why not be able to buy that for just  50L. Is that what you mean?

I have seen promos or sales where you can get a whole fat pack (all possible colors) for between 50L -300L, which makes it better. But I do see what you're saying.

I loooooove the stores with the "Naturals" packs too!!  Most of the time, I prefer black hair on my avatar.  But the black pack is almost always 2 blacks and then various whites and greys that I will NEVER use.  I do often wear dark browns as well and most generally the naturals pack has more of what I would actually wear and change my look with.  I often find these Naturals Packs run around $50L more than the standard single tone packs, but I am ok with that because I assume they are putting in some extra effort for my picky tastes <3 !

Thank you for all the feedback.    I will look for those fatpacks,  with all the color options!    I did notice some offer this and its awesome.   I will TRY not to purge the stuff I feel like I don't need... because I am new,  and I don't know what will come later when I will need them.    Great responses..   I truly appreciate them!

PS.   If anyone is intersted I am on Facebook with the same name.    Seems there is a whole comminity of people there, sharing ideas,  amazing photography and links to Blogs!   ..

It comes in 5 shades of the same colour because:

- It takes literally no effort to make those similar textures

- It forces you to spend more if you want any different colours

This is why I like Magika and Ploom, all Magika stuff are essentially fatpacks and Ploom at least offers an "a little bit of everything" pack for a slightly higher price.

BettiRaige wrote:

ALSO...  Why are things like hair offered in 5 shades of the same color?   I like the style of the hair,  but I do not NEED 5 shades of white/black/red..   It would be more efficient if they offered one in EACH color.    I see some merchants offer this option, but not all.   Is there a reason??    I was thinking maybe it's a way for the merchant to get you to buy more colors.. but for me,  it would free me up to buying more STYLES from that merchant.    

Different perspectives, it's WAY more efficient for the merchant to add lots into one box than one each.  There's an overhead in making things available for sale.

Further, you may want to consider that from the merchants perspective, they've bundled in lots of shades at the same price with no extra charge.  While you may see a pack of "browns" that costs L$200 and includes say 8, while from the customers perspective that may feel like each should be individually available for L$25, from the merchants perspective, you're buying "brown" which costs L$200.

Different views that's all, buy from merchants that suit your buying preferences is the best you can do.

I appreciate the different shades of "red" since red can go from ginger to blood to wine. I wear a more blood red, I have a friend that goes ginger. One option would be to look at mesh hair that uses a hud, like Catway and Truth. Then you only have the one "hair" in your inventory and the hud. At least that way, if you decide to change your hair color, you have the options on the hud since, especially at Catwa, it's not about color groupings but about shades, light, med, dark, and fantasy.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3577 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.