Textures and Inventory

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3590 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Ok I am not sure how to word this.

I have vendors and items.. I put things in storage so to speak... so I does not take up space in myh inventory. Well now I cannot find some of the stuff.. so I rezzed it out and right clicked to get the texture.. but it is not located in my inventory proper...so I cannot find it..... I am wanting to use another vendror and need that picture....

OI will be adding the name of that texture for my item..... in the vender will it still owrk or does it need to dray from my inventory.. the same with my item textures........ for all my items... do they need to be kept in myh inventory.. will it effect the copies of the poeple who buy my stuff?

I guess I may have to retake the pictures......sigh

Someone help.. I have not a clue how inventory it tied in to all this and the inventory cache thing.. what does that do.. I mean I lost half my textures to boot.. for my items...UGH:matte-motes-sour::matte-motes-stress:

Your inventory is on SL's asset servers.  When you upload a texture to SL, that's where it goes, identified by a unique key (UUID).  It stays there unless you delete it. When you do that, it's gone from your inventory forever.  You can't use it any more. 

Your inventory cache is a local copy of your inventory, saved on your own computer.  It is there because it is much faster for your viewer to grab and use any asset from your own computer than to ask the servers to find it.  Any time you make a change to your inventory -- the inventory that is on the servers -- your viewer updates your local cache too, so that your should always be working with an up-to-date copy.  So, if you delete a texture from your inventory, it is also deleted from your cache. 

There are two ways to recover.  One is to upload it again, assuming that you still have the original that you made with Photoshop or whatever.  The other is to hope that someone, somewhere in SL, has saved your texture in her inventory.   If you can do that, and if the person either gives you a copy or gives you its UUID, you're back in business.   (EDIT: As Amethyst says, "someone ele" could be your own texture organizer.  If you moved the texture into  a rezzed object's contents-- not "onto" its surface --, then you can move it back.)

Ironically, if you "saved" the texture by displaying it on a prim somewhere and then deleted it from your own inventory, you'd still need to find someone else to give it to you again.  This is a little hard to understand until you think about it for a bit.  The texture still exists in SL as long as it is somewhere.  In order to display it on a prim, the servers have to still have to know what it is.  Thousands of textures that you see in SL were left behind by former residents. Unless you find someone who has their UUIDs or has the textures in their own inventory, though, you can't use them.

Just a note in general on textures in your inventory. You got the "you need the texture in inventory for the texture picker to find it" message :D.

SOMETIMES however the texture picker doesn't find it even when it IS in inventory. I have had that happen many times, one just a few days ago. I KNEW I had it and eventually I found it with searching for obvious naming possibilities.

ALSO  there are occasions when the database loses your items (textures included). This has happened to me a few times and friends as well. NONE of us DELETED the textures.

So keeping backups packed in world or on your computer if they are your uploads is a very good plan.

Just saying.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3590 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.