Linden Lab is destroying Second Life (PLEASE READ!)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3581 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

kiramanell wrote:

Amethyst Jetaime wrote:

I suggest you go back and read what Ebbe actually said.  The world is not coming to an end anytime soon.

Not so sure about that. What if ppl heard tomorrow that the real world only had 2 years to go?! I bet ppl would consider that *extremely* close.
:P

Just because SL is a virtual world doesn't mean 2 years isn't equally near. 

If the real world had only 2 years to go, would you kill yourself immediately so you don't have to wait till the end? SL is still here and will be for several more years. Nobody will die when it's gone (I hope). There's no reason to panic about it now. (Wait a couple years and then panic. :smileywink:)

Two years is unlikely anyway. I'd estimate (based on over 30 years in software development) that if LL does the job right, it will take at least three years before SL 2 is released. Even then it will be an empty world, so figure another year or two before people have built it up enough for most people to be interested in it.

Note: Doing the job right means starting from scratch -- new design, new requirements, new code. The current code base has over a decade of kludges. It can't be trusted & shouldn't be reused.

Madelaine McMasters wrote:

Parhelion Palou wrote:

If the real world had only 2 years to go, would you kill yourself immediately so you don't have to wait till the end?

I'd probably start killing other people, knowing that the worst they could throw at me is a two year sentence.

;-).

And after a year, when they figure out how to keep the world from ending?  Oops.

Parhelion Palou wrote:

Madelaine McMasters wrote:

Parhelion Palou wrote:

If the real world had only 2 years to go, would you kill yourself immediately so you don't have to wait till the end?

I'd probably start killing other people, knowing that the worst they could throw at me is a two year sentence.

;-).

And after a year, when they figure out how to keep the world from ending?  Oops.

Wait, you think it'll take LL three years to deploy SL2, but that they might be able to turn the current one around in one?

What a dreamer you are!

... I'm coming after you with fireballs, Par!

;-).

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3581 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.