Sign in to follow this  
geko12

Are you a fan of the petite-curvy thigh-gap look?

That's not curvy. That's a trainwreck deformity. 

I'm all for thick avatars with even proportions - I have one myself. But that ^^^^ is just ugly, IMO.

Petite, fine. Curvy, no problem.

Distorted hips just to get a thigh-gap? Hell no. 

I prefer to see actual human proportions on my human SL avatars. Beyond that, I don't care much. It's nice to see a variety of shapes and looks, and it *IS* possible to have this without straying outside what looks natural.

PS: It could be claimed that those aren't human avatars, given the elf-ears. I'm still not fond of the look.

Nope...and nope... Do not like. Will not buy clothes modeled by such shapes for fear the clothes actually look like that(mesh, that is, and I have found some that actually do...so..).

I like human porportions, personally, because my av is a human.

What tickles others' pickles, is none of my concern.

Your question: Are you a fan of the petite-curvy thigh-gap look?
My answer: Oh no!  :smileysurprised: :smileyfrustrated: :smileytongue:

Your question: if not; then how do you prefer your avatar shapes?
My answer: I prefer realistically proportioned human look - on a human avatar.

My answer to this short survey was given to you free of charge. :matte-motes-big-grin: :smileywink:

I wouldn't say I'm a fan of the look, I'm not really a fan of any look. However, Tiany (the first flikr link) is adorable in my opinion, I follow her flickr and think she has great style. I've seen her inworld and she is so tiny! My ava is short, about 5'5, and she makes me look giant lol.  

I don't care if someone is realistically proportioned, I've seen what technically is well proportioned look just off and not appealing at all, while I've seen wide-hipped tiny armed curvy strangeness be pulled off to look amazing. 

Personally I think it looks deformed and downright ugly.  I also think the oversized boobs and butts are too.  I like a correctly proportioned human avatar for myself.  However, everyone has a right to look how they please.

When that look first started to show up in SL i wondered where it came from.  A few months ago though i read an article in the paper written by a psychologist and a MD that was not related to SL.  It was discussing eating disorders and how teenage girls and young women view their bodies.  It seems that many of them want to be model skinny and think that gap thigh look is what they should aim for.  However the article said that it was not possible to achieve unless your body was built with wide set legs, which was not the norm for a human body.  Apparently the teens and young women are starving themselves or taking other measures though in attempt to achieve the impossible, with the result that there has been a rise in eating disorders.

geko12 wrote:

like this: 

if not; then how do you prefer your avatar body shapes?

just curious. 

Slow roasted over an open fire served on a sesame seed bunn with Monterrey jack cheese, lettuce, tomato, onion, mayonnaise and lots of ketchup.  With a nice bottle of Chianti to wash it down.

Tari Landar wrote:

Nope...and nope... Do not like. Will not buy clothes modeled by such shapes for fear the clothes actually look like that(mesh, that is, and I have found some that actually do...so..).

I like human porportions, personally, because my av is a human.

What tickles others' pickles, is none of my concern.

That is just ugly, IMO.

I also do not purchase from stores with models that look like that. If there is even the most remote possibility that my avatar will look anything at all like that from putting on clothing in the ad, I run away as fast as I can, poof, I'm gone and no purchase.

Coby Foden wrote:

Your question:
Are you a fan of the petite-curvy thigh-gap look?

My answer: Oh no!  :smileysurprised: :smileyfrustrated: :smileytongue:

Your question:
if not; then how do you prefer your avatar shapes?

My answer: I prefer realistically proportioned human look - on a human avatar.

My answer to this short survey was given to you free of charge.
:matte-motes-big-grin: :smileywink:

LOL. I was going to post that maybe the gap is there to accomodate those elephant trunk-like thingies that SL males seem to prefer these days, but I don't think I'll bother now that you've pointed out that it's just an underhanded survey :D

Although I'm more of a fan of realism and I might be a minority on here. I don't think it's that bad. Every few years, SL has a "thing". When I first got here it was impossibly long legs, neko, and bling. Then it became frowny mouths and thigh gaps. But I'm thinking those Avis have mesh butts and depending on the butt, it may create a gap.

Eh, to each his or her own I say.

For me ,no.

Mainly because i don't think i could pull it off well..

I'm all for anyone doing thier thing the way they like it.

Some worlds are limited to choices in these areas..

When the reins are off,i think it should be, go for it in as much range as you like.

you only live twice:smileywink:

No.

They look a little creepy, but to be entirely honest, I prefer them over the awful 7'5" t-rex arm monsters of lore

I have an rp alt with a Ghetto booty, v-string mesh boobs and slink hands/feet, and while she's got a lot more curve than these ladies ever will, she's also built to look 'thick'. She's black, so I modeled her off of my coworkers and friends/family, and she looks great.

Obviously not everyone prefers bigger girls, but since I do technically have a degree in art (like, y'know, drawing humans) she's at the very least capable of living outside the world of SL, unlike a lot of these models with E cups and 20" waists. Those poor girls would snap.

geko12 wrote:

like this: 

if not; then how do you prefer your avatar body shapes?

just curious. 

If that is the kind of avatars you like,you go for it..

Don't let people fool you into believing there is a normal zone in second life..

If imagination was filled with a bunch of normal junk,we'd all be running around looking like house wives in the 50's and men looking like they are stuffy azzed congressmen lol

"This is a fantasy world, and we can use our creativity to be anything we want."

That's a standard opening line, and I'm pretty sure most people would agree to it. I certainly do.

But personally, I still hate that shape, on a deep level, so why should i care? The "why" is interesting, and I need to think about that, as I don't have an issue with any other shape in SL. You can be any shape you like, I don't judge and I log in as almost all of them at times and enjoy trying everything out, but this one I will not do. Except briefly for satire.

I'm struggling to explain why, and trying to work it out. I may even be wrong, so bear with me.

Perhaps it's partly because I'm a fashion-makey person and I hate it when a blogger/model presents my work with that look; I feel that they are undermining my efforts, that they don't care enough to get it together and look personable. Yet I have no issue with other non-barbie avvies; be a furry avatar, or realistically proportioned avatar ( I am almost one, and I'm dwarfed by all fashion model avvies and that's ok with me)..I embrace difference but not this difference.

It's also not creative, nor an expression of individuality. It's become a stock standard pull-on outfit, like a uniform.

You call it a "petite curvy thigh gap look" but to everyone else it's (un)popularly called "invisible pony rider" and it's become synonymous with an unfriendly look. And I think that's mainly why I don't like it- it looks unfriendly because to me it's so closely associated with a snarky-faced disapproving-teenager look. I guess I'm revealing a little of my RL age, but  I hate that look, and see it sometimes in my friends kids, and hope I don't see it in my own child's one day.

I have issues with "thigh gap" as an aspiration but that's a separate issue.

I like to see someone fabulous, creative and wonderful. Edgy and confronting if you will. I like a challenge to the overly-sexualised Barbie trope. But snarky squinty thigh-gap child is not the answer just yet, I hope.

The "thigh gap" thing is terribly unhealthy and nearly impossible to achieve IRL unless you are born with wide hips or have some sort of muscular deficiency. Or, simply put, you are starving yourself to death.

People really SHOULDN'T be able to see a gap there. It's not healthy, and it's bad that even on a site where you can be anything, people still aspire to look malnourished.

Probably one of the main reasons I made my female rp alt "chubby" (ie - average female in the US size 10/12). She looks real. Sadly, even IRL she'd be considered an "overweight model". Sad times