Sign in to follow this  
WanderleiMMA

How do I import clothes from secondlife into blender?

Question

Hey all you sexy ass people!

I've got singularity veiwer and blender.  I've already imported an avatar from second life into blender.  I'm able to import things into veiwer but I don't know how to import clothes and other objects.

4 answers to this question

You can only export things that you are the creator of - you can't export something someone else created even if you have full permissions on it. Shapes work somewhat differently because they're just a set of slider values.

• Like 2

In general, we do not export clothng from SL.

You can export an avatar shape that you have full permisions to. See: http://blog.nalates.net/2013/04/23/second-life-shape-export/ That is then used for Fitted Mesh modeling clothes.

For what we call 'System Clothes' we have templates that we use to design the clothes. These templates are actually UVMaps for the avatar. You can get them from the SL Wiki.

There are no base shirts, pants, or skirts made by Linden Lab. Third parties do sell base mesh kits in the market place. But, those are made in Blender, 3D Max, or Maya. The point of those kits is to save you all the modeling work. All you need do is texture them.

If you are the creator of the avatar shape and not  just modded an existing one, then you can also export the shape with the Singularity viewer as obj format (wavefront). I just don't have the menu in my head to tell, what you need to click.

Most mesh clothing creators only sell mesh models for use in SL and provide a UV and AO map you use to create the textures for them in a graphics program swuch as gimp or photoshop.

Some though also offer a version that includes a .dae file.  With these you get a notecard that gives you a website address and password where you can download the file onto your own hard drive and import it into Blender.  These are generally a lot more expensive than the first  kind.

Lastly, at least one popular creator and maybe more, only sells the models but if you go to their website you can purchase the .dae file for RL money.  These too are a lot more expensive then then buying just the models.