What would you do? (A pre-Caffeine rant against the latest rumor)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3583 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Rant begins here:

So, you've lived somewhere for years, invested time and money in your home.  You spent money within the community to support the merchants and contribute to the local economy.   Participated in events to support the community.

Then one day word comes down that there are plans to raze your home to the ground, burn all the clothes you have bought from local merchants, destroy your planes, boats, cars, motorcycles and all the things you have invested thousands of dollars in.  All for some glorious new idea.  But they would like you to stay, start over, invest thousands more to rebuild everything you already had.  All for "the common good".   What would your response be?  What would you do?

So I wake up this morning to this.  According to a recent post on the Phoenix Project blog, this is exactly what LL's latest "Great Innovator" has in mind for us all.  Rise up and revolt SL Residents, because it's pretty revolting.

http://www.firestormviewer.org

Now I won't attempt to delve into this post bit by bit, please read it and decide for yourselves. Jessica Lyon tries to be a real Rah Rah cheerleader, though from her " I will do my best to keep my opinions out of this post while promising I will voice it sometime soon..." preamble. it make me question if her heart is really in it.   For me it comes down to one main point.  "Possible" Loss of inventory.

I have been in SL for a little over five years.  Doing business with SL and it's creators, spending by my count nearly $9,000 for clothes, toys and tier.  Now suddenly SL decides to say screw you, it means nothing to us.  We are going to make a new platform.  And all the things you have acquired, that's all gone.  If you want to stay you will have to start over from scratch.

As it is now LL, you want to make changes, add things that no one really wants, but that some techno geek thinks would be cool.  So you disrupt things for months at a time, and screw the users.   The mesh and pathfinder roll outs come immediately to mind.  (Mesh roll out, and mesh can;t cross sim borders?  It took months to fix that.  And I have noticed most regions have Pathfinder disabled. If it's so great, how come? And how about the new fitted mesh.  On-Line users have a different experience with that, it totally screws up their screen.  Remember "Join On-Line", LL's last brain storm?)

After 5+ years here is what I have learned.  The SL viewer keeps getting worse and the TPV's generally give most users what they want.  That's why they are vastly more popular than the official viewer.  They listen, you shove your "Improvements" down our throats. Instead of giving us a stable, secure platform that works, you want to add B.S. gadgets and gimmicks, thought up by some REMF nerd that's probably never been in-world. 

I can't see into the future. I speak for no one but myself.  But if you deem it necessary to wipe out everything I have worked to build for myself here over the last five years, force me to start over, it won't be SL where I begin again.  So for me the bottom line is, if my inventory is gone, so am I.  (And I'd suspect so are MANY others.)

And, just like when I first came here from a different on line world, I will convince my friends and family to move too.  I know you don't really care, and that's the problem.  You want to make a new world and to hell with all the user's who have been here supporting you for years.  Not that you've EVER seemed to care...........

P.S. - Did it ever occur to you folks at LL that the best way to get new users is to keep the users you have happy? 

P.P.S. - Other On-line world operators (I know you have people monitoring blogs and spying in SL), this might be your big chance to pick up a lot of new customers.

Rant complete - massive Caffeine ingestion beginning.

There is a big difference between us.

You see your SL as an investment.

I see my SL as entertainment.

I spend a little money for it and I will continue to do this as long as I become entertained. If that is in this SL or the next SL doesnt matter for me. I find your over dramatic posting funny. :) So maybe you get aware that there are different points of view I have my doubts though. :)

Nova Convair wrote:

I spend a little money for it and I will continue to do this as long as I become entertained.

If you substitute "spouse" for "SL" that sounds a lot like the different views my wife and myself have on marriage.

Maybe it IS time for V2.

"The queen of diamonds let you down, she was just an empty fable; the queen of hearts you say you never met"

DesperadoReprise wrote:

Nova Convair wrote:

I spend a little money for it and I will continue to do this as long as I become entertained.

If you substitute "spouse" for "SL" that sounds a lot like the different views my wife and myself have on marriage.

Maybe it
IS
time for V2.

"The queen of diamonds let you down, she was just an empty fable; the queen of hearts you say you never met"

If you compare SL to marriage, maybe a break would be just the right thing for you.

Syo Emerald wrote:

DesperadoReprise wrote:

Nova Convair wrote:

Maybe it
IS
time for V2.

If you compare SL to marriage, maybe a break would be just the right thing for you.

Isn't there a word for analogy in German? Perhaps the concept doesn't travel well.

"don't you wonder why?"

All my stuff.. my wonderful stuff.. I love Nimue's stuff.. What's it gonna be like without all my glorious STUFF!!!??? :matte-motes-oh-rly:

The New and Improved SL platform will be like going to avatar heaven??? I've always been told that you can't take it with you... sighnsss.. I'm really going to miss my fabulous, wonderful stuff... But not to worry. The Second Coming won't take place for a long while and we won't ascend to the lofty realm of the New SL for a millennium or two (SL time) ... me thinks :matte-motes-big-grin-wink:

Nova, you took the words I was thinking as I read the rant, and posted them before I could.

SL is for me, and for most of my friends, entertainment.  And compared to other forms of entertainment such as going to the movies, or dinning out, a really good bargain.

The ground work for SL was laid back when our computers were running Windows 2000.  Time for an update, if you ask me. The process of doing it is fraught, and lots of room for failure.  But rotting in place is not a good long term strategy.

Lynda Baran wrote:

I have been in SL for a little over five years.  Doing business with SL and it's creators, spending by my count nearly $9,000 for clothes, toys and tier.  Now suddenly SL decides to say screw you, it means nothing to us.

. . . . . .

And, just like when I first came here from a different on line world, I will convince my friends and family to move too.

The-end-is-nigh.jpg

How about if some other company instead of Linden Lab made a really awesome new virtual world? If it really was amazing in all respects compared to the present Second Life surely it would attract lots of present SL users, perhaps the majority would go there.

Would the users scream at the new company "Oh why did you make this world! Now all our assets in Second Life are totally useless as you lured the majority of SL users to come here with all this awesomeness. Shame on you. You should have never done this terrible thing to us!"? Surely that would not happen. But now as Linden Lab has announced that they are going to make a better world, there is terrible outcry by some users. Why is that?

If Linden Lab would not do it, somebody else would do it - most propably. If Linden Lab made the new world there is a slight change that some old SL assets can be used in the new world (not promised though, not denied either). If it was totally different company it could be that nothing from SL could be used there. Which is a better a better choise?

Coby Foden wrote:

Lynda Baran wrote:

I have been in SL for a little over five years.  Doing business with SL and it's creators, spending by my count nearly $9,000 for clothes, toys and tier.  Now suddenly SL decides to say screw you, it means nothing to us.

. . . . . .

And, just like when I first came here from a different on line world, I will convince my friends and family to move too.

The-end-is-nigh.jpg

How about if some other company instead of Linden Lab made a really awesome new virtual world? If it really was amazing in all respects compared to the present Second Life surely it would attract lots of present SL users, perhaps the majority would go there.

Would the users scream at the new company "
Oh why did you make this world! Now all our assets in Second Life are totally useless as you lured the majority of SL users to come here with all this awesomeness. Shame on you. You should have never done this terrible thing to us!
"? Surely that would not happen. But now as Linden Lab has announced that they are going to make a better world, there is terrible outcry by some users. Why is that?

If Linden Lab would not do it, somebody else would do it - most propably. If Linden Lab made the new world there is a slight change that some old SL assets can be used in the new world (not promised though, not denied either). If it was totally different company it could be that nothing from SL could be used there. Which is a better a better choise?

They can make a better world, and they can probably attract new not-from-SL clientele to it (which I think is the ultimate goal), but the question is how invested people in SL are in their present VW. As a business owner, to survive, I have to be and go where my clientele is. But if it was just me as an individual resident, I would chose my bird in hand.  I am not that interested in new and shiny. 

Lynda Baran wrote:

Rant begins here:

So, you've lived somewhere for years, invested time and money in your home.  You spent money within the community to support the merchants and contribute to the local economy.   Participated in events to support the community.

[...]

What would your response be?  What would you do?

You spent money to support the merchants? You mean you didn't actually want the things you bought?

You participated in event to support the community? You mean you didn't actually want to take part in those events?

Why on earth have you been in SL if you only used your time and money for the benefit of others? You've been doping it all wrong. You ought to have been enjoying it as a passtime, hobby or entertainment. Perhaps you'd better start finding ways of getting some pleasure out of SL while there's still time. Y'know - like everyone else does ;)

My opinion is that they are now using SL as a scapegoat and all the monies we've put into it are going to finance the other project. Working out the kinks here to know what to do better there. And I'll even go as far as to say that the next version of SL (or whatever it is) won't be free. Subscriptions will be mandatory.

I am seeing the viewpoint of both sides. I just celebrated my 7th rez day about a week or so ago, and while SL has always been a form of entertainment for me, in 7 years I cringe to even guess how much money I have invested in my things and tiers, of course. I mirror the feelings of whoever it was (sorry, having a bout of CRS today) who said "WHAT ABOUT MY GLORIOUS STUFF????" I agree this is probably going to take quite a while to even happen (someone said SL eons, so that's what about a year or two in RL?? lol). I am looking forward to seeing this shiny, new world, and I guess I'm even looking forward to an entire new world to shop for!!! (Although I really will miss my stuff.....lol) 

It will be a long time before its ready to support a population like SL has, or indeed before there is much content there.

Seoondly, SL is not going anywhere, unless it becomes unprofitable, which it won't unless a large number of people migrate to the new platform.  Some may, some may not because they can't take all their stuff with them. So i see no need to panic unless and until that happens.

As far as taking your stuff, you probably won't be able to unless it is compatible with the new tech and you created it yourself.  You don't own the things you have bought, only the right to use them in SL under the terms the creator has set for the item using permissions or a license.  If LL allowed everyone to take their stuff with them, they'd be violating the IP rights of the creators, unless they got the creator's permission.  Even so, you can bet LL will charge a fee which may make it a moot point for many people.

Let me give my take as a guy who logged into SL about 10 years ago. I quite frankly am shocked it lasted this long.

Is this going to be a rough transition? YES without a doubt it is going to be painful to everyone. I promise you do not want to see what a 10 year old inventory looks like. Particularly for someone who at one point was a content creator. Alot will simply not come with me.

I have read in several places now in Ebbe's own words that my L$ and my Avatar name/identity WILL go with me. That and my RL family who have been here with me since the beginning are all that really matter.

My family and I helped build this original world of SL. It was a grand adventure and an amazing thing to behold taking shape over 10 years. When I told the family about what is coming I got a reaction I did not expect. They are fired up and excited about being back in SL for the first time in quite litteraly YEARS. Inventory? who cares. Any personal snapshots from way back can be saved to our computers. Memories will not be lost. Stuff? meaningless.

We still have each other and we have a whole NEW virtual world to explore, help create and build anew.

PS: Maybe I will finally be able to find something in my inventory.

It's a virtual world. Not a real one. Technological limitations have made this world stagnant. Next time don't dump $9000 in to something you neglected to research. Also nothing lasts forever. It's been a decade. Times are changing and bigger and better things are hopefuly coming.

"Out with the old and in with the new."

"I can't see into the future. I speak for no one but myself.  But if you deem it necessary to wipe out everything I have worked to build for myself here over the last five years, force me to start over, it won't be SL where I begin again.  So for me the bottom line is, if my inventory is gone, so am I.  (And I'd suspect so are MANY others.)"

No one is forcing you. They stated that they would keep the light on for as long as the power bill is paid.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3583 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.