Linden Labs asking for personal information?

JohnathanLuke Larkham

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2551 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I received an inquiry on my account from Quercus Linden that is basically requesting my identity in full.  They want my full name, social security, and a copy of my legal identification.  While this was received on my account page as an open case, from a Linden, I'm still suspicious and wary to fill out the information.

The request begins with:

"Based on your volume and/or amount of process-credit requests, Linden Lab is required by applicable law to obtain, verify, and maintain information identifying you as our customer."

Has anybody else received a request like this before?

Edit 1:  Thank you for the information.  I do appreciate it.  A friend of mind, however, is not so sure it is legit.  I will be contacting Linden Labs ASAP.

Edit 2:  Again, thank you for all the information.  A call to Linden Labs billing has given me peace of mine.  It is legit.

11 answers to this question

One way to get a better feel for what's going on is to read http://community.secondlife.com/t5/Commerce/New-Resource-Tax-amp-Account-Documentation-FAQs/ba-p/2486253

Linden Lab is indeed required by the IRS to report large cash flows, as part of the federal effort to combat money laundering on line.  If you have any qualms about responding to their request, however, I suggest that you follow their advice: "If you receive a request for documentation from Linden Lab and have additional questions, please open the request in your Case History in the Support Portal and reply to the Case."

• Like 4

Yes.   I received a similar request from LL a couple of months ago.   It's all perfectly above-board, and if you want to cash out, you don't have much choice other than to comply.    In fact, I think if you don't comply within a month, they'll suspend your account until you do.

• Like 3

I received the same notification last 9th of june, and finally i sent the requested information (real id documents and i filled a us goverment form), This is the only way to unblock process-credit requests i guess.:matte-motes-not-even:

I too just received such a notice.  My credit requests (3 in a year) have been well under their legal threshold.  The level of personal information required is disturbing and extensive.  It is not clear what it means to be place "on hold" if I do not comply.  I have requested clarification of my options and hope to hear back shortly.  I also do not know what they are using the information for.  If it is tax related I need to understand that as I am not an Employee of LL nor am I a contractor (people that normally provide personal identification in the form of passport or drivers license. 

Once I understand more (how are they securing and using this information, what options do I have if I decide not to comply, what does "hold" mean. 

I've been a resident of second life for over 7 years.  This is the first time I've been requested to provide this level of personal information - I do not do so lightly. 

I know this is an old  post, BUT my experience was not as above i was asked these "personal questions" dating back 18 yrs... was never asked to give my SSN or fill out via 3rd party  a 1099 per tos cause they don't want to be responsible for the info.......   Also  NO ONE at LL knew about this when it happened to me in hmm jan 2014... billing  or customer service....  all told me  that  they never heard of this i was phished,   even when I told them this was through the SL web site an  message from a LL employee  all  b4 I could get my 181 bucks out...    like I told all of them  .. I've own sims  ect.. I have put way more into SL than the pocket change i was taking out..  but like some others here my question is  if this is the new process then why LL know NOTHING about  esp at the time  and how is the info safeguarded?   seems my experience did not go as umm smooth as the others..  I mean being told I am crazy LL does not do this an it would seem they knew all the time ... if so why such a secret? really? why?   I just happen to run across this  thought I'd add my 2 cents.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2551 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.