Jump to content

Linden Lab is building a NEW virtual world


You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2230 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Recommended Posts


LordHappycat wrote:

Assumptions only get you so far.

People are so conclusive as to assume what people's emotions are. I'd have to say, you're far off from thinking I'm even remotely angry. If anything, I'm mostly astounded that the community in these forums just take things out of context and still run with them.

 

I have nothing to prove and show. I'm not responsible for your persception. If you wish to believe that I'm angry and if it helps make you sleep better at night. So be it. Because that's what everyone just generalizes when someone comes up with rational thought and is in the minority against the blunt majority.

 

So I recall nothing and with that I'm pretty much done here. I've only acted that reflected one's obliviousness. So, enjoy that to think about. :3

Anger was your plausible deniability card, you should have bucked up and played it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wish the where ready with secondlife nextgen. the waiting is going to be painfull.

But not so in love with inventory that i dont want to move if it cant be in secondlife nextgen.

Only thing i like to see are my textures and sounds from Secondlife inventory.

I hope that land is finaly cheap enough that i can have enough todo finaly something.

I want to be there as soon as possible. But im longer used to more worlds and development of it.

SO i look different to secondlife and see the bottlenecks.

 

Only question to ebby linden, what about the premium secondlife membership and secondlife nextgen.

is the premium also valid for secondlife nextgen ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Richardus Raymaker wrote:

I wish the where ready with secondlife nextgen. the waiting is going to be painfull.

But not so in love with inventory that i dont want to move if it cant be in secondlife nextgen.

Only thing i like to see are my textures and sounds from Secondlife inventory.

I hope that land is finaly cheap enough that i can have enough todo finaly something.

I want to be there as soon as possible. But im longer used to more worlds and development of it.

SO i look different to secondlife and see the bottlenecks.

 

Only question to ebby linden, what about the premium secondlife membership and secondlife nextgen.

is the premium also valid for secondlife nextgen ?

Ok... I need to say this because I started it.. It will not be SL v2.0.. It is a new platform. We and probably LL do not know all the details yet. They won't have an alpha ready for at least a year. Phils project has been in the test phase for over a year and a half with no end in sight. I don't hold out much hope they will be on schedule.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Drake1 Nightfire wrote:

Ok... I need to say this because I started it.. It will not be SL v2.0.. It is a new platform. We and probably LL do not know all the details yet. They won't have an alpha ready for at least a year. Phils project has been in the test phase for over a year and a half with no end in sight. I don't hold out much hope they will be on schedule.

It might actually turn out to be SL2. Not in name perhaps, but in reality. As you said we don't know much in the way of details yet. We do know some details though - that names, money, friends lists, textures, and some 'stuff' will go over. We know that Ebbe commented that, in SL, tier is too high and LL's commission is too low, so we can reasonably infer something from that. However, we don't yet have a name to call is and SL2, which I believe I started, is very easy to type and think by comparison to SL v2.0 or other suggestions that are even longer.

Personally, I do think it will turn out to be another Second Life, regardless of what LL chooses to call it, only a lot better - faster, better graphics, better building tools, etc..

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Phil Deakins wrote:

 

However, we don't yet have a name to call is and SL2, which I believe I started, is very easy to type and think by comparison to SL v2.0 or other suggestions that are even longer.

Well at this stage it really should be called just NGP. It is as short as SL2 and easy to type too. :smileywink:

Calling the new world SL2 may give false ideas to people in general.

 

NGP = Next Generation Platform

("In the spirit of Second Life" as Ebbe said.)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Calling it Next Generation Platform is just about as misleading as it gets since next generation would have a very strong indication of continuity.

Unfortunately it seems like there is next to no continuity as the only thing they have said will transfer is your name and your purse.  – Which is the same I can do go shopping on any website. (purse is ulitmately tied to credit card in this context.)

SLv2 is equally misleading for the same reasons. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Phil Deakins wrote:


Drake1 Nightfire wrote:

Ok... I need to say this because I started it.. It will not be SL v2.0.. It is a new platform. We and probably LL do not know all the details yet. They won't have an alpha ready for at least a year. Phils project has been in the test phase for over a year and a half with no end in sight. I don't hold out much hope they will be on schedule.

It might actually turn out to be SL2. Not in name perhaps, but in reality. As you said we don't know much in the way of details yet. We do know some details though - that names, money, friends lists, textures, and some 'stuff' will go over. We know that Ebbe commented that, in SL, tier is too high and LL's commission is too low, so we can reasonably infer something from that. However, we don't yet have a name to call is and SL2, which I believe I started, is very easy to type and think by comparison to SL v2.0 or other suggestions that are even longer.

Personally, I do think it will turn out to be another Second Life, regardless of what LL chooses to call it, only a lot better - faster, better graphics, better building tools, etc..

In the 15th post on this thread, which is the official SL forums, I called it SL2. So, DIBS!!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Coby Foden wrote:


Phil Deakins wrote:

 

However, we don't yet have a name to call is and SL2, which I believe I started, is very easy to type and think by comparison to SL v2.0 or other suggestions that are even longer.

Well at this stage it really should be called just
NGP
. It is as short as SL2 and easy to type too. :smileywink:

Calling the new world SL2 may give false ideas to people in general.

 
NGP =
N
ext
G
eneration
P
latform

("
In the spirit of Second Life
" as Ebbe said.)

t would also be meaningless to those who haven't learned what it means. And I really do think the new one will be another SL only much better. I don't think it will be so drastically different.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Gavin Hird wrote:

Calling it Next Generation Platform is just about as misleading as it gets since next generation would have a very strong indication of continuity.

Unfortunately it seems like there is next to no continuity as the only thing they have said will transfer is your name and your purse.  – Which is the same I can do go shopping on any website. (purse is ulitmately tied to credit card in this context.)

SLv2 is equally misleading for the same reasons. 

They said more than that. They've said that textures will go over and an amount of 'stuff' will go over, as well as social stuff.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Drake1 Nightfire wrote:


Phil Deakins wrote:


Drake1 Nightfire wrote:

Ok... I need to say this because I started it.. It will not be SL v2.0.. It is a new platform. We and probably LL do not know all the details yet. They won't have an alpha ready for at least a year. Phils project has been in the test phase for over a year and a half with no end in sight. I don't hold out much hope they will be on schedule.

It might actually turn out to be SL2. Not in name perhaps, but in reality. As you said we don't know much in the way of details yet. We do know some details though - that names, money, friends lists, textures, and some 'stuff' will go over. We know that Ebbe commented that, in SL, tier is too high and LL's commission is too low, so we can reasonably infer something from that. However, we don't yet have a name to call is and SL2, which I believe I started, is very easy to type and think by comparison to SL v2.0 or other suggestions that are even longer.

Personally, I do think it will turn out to be another Second Life, regardless of what LL chooses to call it, only a lot better - faster, better graphics, better building tools, etc..

In the 15th post on this thread, which is the official SL forums, I called it SL2. So, DIBS!!!

lol. Maybe so, and maybe, just maybe, that was the first forum use of SL2. Whether it was or not, I thought of it on my own - not that it was difficult to think of lol.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Coby Foden wrote:


Phil Deakins wrote:

 

However, we don't yet have a name to call is and SL2, which I believe I started, is very easy to type and think by comparison to SL v2.0 or other suggestions that are even longer.

Well at this stage it really should be called just
NGP
. It is as short as SL2 and easy to type too. :smileywink:

Calling the new world SL2 may give false ideas to people in general.

 
NGP =
N
ext
G
eneration
P
latform

("
In the spirit of Second Life
" as Ebbe said.)

 

:matte-motes-big-grin:

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Phil Deakins wrote:


Drake1 Nightfire wrote:


Phil Deakins wrote:


Drake1 Nightfire wrote:

Ok... I need to say this because I started it.. It will not be SL v2.0.. It is a new platform. We and probably LL do not know all the details yet. They won't have an alpha ready for at least a year. Phils project has been in the test phase for over a year and a half with no end in sight. I don't hold out much hope they will be on schedule.

It might actually turn out to be SL2. Not in name perhaps, but in reality. As you said we don't know much in the way of details yet. We do know some details though - that names, money, friends lists, textures, and some 'stuff' will go over. We know that Ebbe commented that, in SL, tier is too high and LL's commission is too low, so we can reasonably infer something from that. However, we don't yet have a name to call is and SL2, which I believe I started, is very easy to type and think by comparison to SL v2.0 or other suggestions that are even longer.

Personally, I do think it will turn out to be another Second Life, regardless of what LL chooses to call it, only a lot better - faster, better graphics, better building tools, etc..

In the 15th post on this thread, which is the official SL forums, I called it SL2. So, DIBS!!!

lol. Maybe so, and maybe, just maybe, that was the first forum use of SL2. Whether it was or not, I thought of it on my own - not that it was difficult to think of lol.

Doesnt matter, i called Dibs. :matte-motes-wink-tongue:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

S


Phil Deakins wrote:


Gavin Hird wrote:

Calling it Next Generation Platform is just about as misleading as it gets since next generation would have a very strong indication of continuity.

Unfortunately it seems like there is next to no continuity as the only thing they have said will transfer is your name and your purse.  – Which is the same I can do go shopping on any website. (purse is ulitmately tied to credit card in this context.)

SLv2 is equally misleading for the same reasons. 

They said more than that. They've said that textures will go over and an amount of 'stuff' will go over, as well as social stuff.

Stuff such as bits and inflated egos? 

It would be scary if flat square textures would not carry over. However useful they will be remains to be seen till we know the details of the runtime and graphics system. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I actually saw those statements by Ebbe the other day when I was looking for something else he said. He contributed a fair amount to this thread and it was while I was reading his posts that I noticed them. His wording about stuff made it sound like a fair amount would go over and not just odd bits and pieces.

It's all of Ebbe's comments that lead me to think that the new one really will be a much better SL - SL2.- and not something that so radically different that it won't be recognised as SL.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Drake1 Nightfire wrote:


Phil Deakins wrote:


Drake1 Nightfire wrote:


Phil Deakins wrote:


Drake1 Nightfire wrote:

Ok... I need to say this because I started it.. It will not be SL v2.0.. It is a new platform. We and probably LL do not know all the details yet. They won't have an alpha ready for at least a year. Phils project has been in the test phase for over a year and a half with no end in sight. I don't hold out much hope they will be on schedule.

It might actually turn out to be SL2. Not in name perhaps, but in reality. As you said we don't know much in the way of details yet. We do know some details though - that names, money, friends lists, textures, and some 'stuff' will go over. We know that Ebbe commented that, in SL, tier is too high and LL's commission is too low, so we can reasonably infer something from that. However, we don't yet have a name to call is and SL2, which I believe I started, is very easy to type and think by comparison to SL v2.0 or other suggestions that are even longer.

Personally, I do think it will turn out to be another Second Life, regardless of what LL chooses to call it, only a lot better - faster, better graphics, better building tools, etc..

In the 15th post on this thread, which is the official SL forums, I called it SL2. So, DIBS!!!

lol. Maybe so, and maybe, just maybe, that was the first forum use of SL2. Whether it was or not, I thought of it on my own - not that it was difficult to think of lol.

Doesnt matter, i called Dibs. :matte-motes-wink-tongue:

That doesn't work over here :D

Ah, you probably did use it first with reference to the new platform. It had been used long before though, as a search on it shows, but, with reference to the new platform, I'll concede it to you. When I first used for the new platform it really was my own creation; i.e. I also thought it up all by myself :)

Nevertheless, in the post I replied to, you didn't claim it. You claimed first use of "SL v2.0", which is quite different of course.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...

 

Ok so, that was some read, I skimmed  quickly through at least  60 pages though. Secondlife is going to be sharing it's Linden family with a new  baby  platform awwww. I  Hope it aint gonna be called  or end up the Afterlife cos I'd rather stay here.

I don't really know much of SL's capabilitys /functions/technical building,  despite being registered a long time, I havn't ever been an intense user, I think I arrived at a time where despite not really giving a damn about griefers personally, they did ruin it for a lot of  newbies, I had many I showed this place hoping we could get into this game, but they didn't come back, cos of lack of understanding of the bigger picture,  and being repeatedly crashed because of  just being met by script kiddies (most who were probably 30+ LOL)  not letting them explore, and get into it,and sometimes they didn't  always realise that they just thought the game was full of bugs, that to  the numerous ridiculous voice chat trolling and other antics.
I believe some call those times the good old days eheh.

 So I hope the new baby will provide some protection at least until people settle in! Perhaps they can get given a  protective shield for a certain time before the games begin LOL

I was looking at a sims video on youtube with my daughter who wants the  new release of the game... and was thinking if only SL had that kind of  quality in the actions of the avatars.... and the little tasks jobs they do.... a more realistic manner, that would be a big improvement.

I suppose I welcome a new platform because it would selfishlessly suit me to be in from the beginning, and not having any land commitments  etc here.

 

Question folks:

If you were given the opportunity to name the new platform what would you suggest to Linden family it be  called?

 

I intended this as a general reply but I must have pressed something else as it says it's a reply to someone.. so just ignore that?

 

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites


ConnieG Sorbet wrote:

 

Question folks:

If you were given the opportunity to name the new platform what would you suggest to Linden family it be  called?

Exploria

Why? Surely when it will open we will be exploring it a lot to see what it is all about.  :smileywink: :smileyvery-happy:

 

. . . . . .

Hmm.. wait, wait... that name's been already taken by some RL resort.

I have no more suggestions. :matte-motes-frown: :smileysad:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

My concern is that many of us have a good deal invested into your company via L$ purchases of products. Yet now you are saying things like our expensive AOs will become useless, and we may even lose items that have sculpts and flexi prims (since prims are unknown still). This is also to include high end dance HUDs with MOCAP. Will Linden LAbs recompensate those of uis that have lost REAL money investments into these expensive items. Since I do not want to shell out another $100+ dollars to rebuild an inventory. If these things are truly going to break, and we are going to be losing all this invested trust, then I for one will not continue with SL.

I would like to point out SL has competitors, and I am sure many users will do as I will, and may end up pulling their friends. That is how I crossed from IMVU to SL, and a good deal of us left one for the other. IMVU is dying because they do not pay attention to real concerns of a thinking user base. Stop catering to the lowest common denominator and really look into ways to preserve a happy user base instead of bleeding us for all the money you can then reinventing the system to bleed us again.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


XNyanNyanX wrote:

Will Linden LAbs recompensate those of uis that have lost REAL money investments into these expensive items.

Linden Lab will not compensate anything what you have spent. They have clearly stated that in their TOS.

You have agreed to the TOS; you have knowingly taken the risk of possibly losing everything at some time.

If you haven't read the TOS (i.e. agreed blindly without reading) that is no excuse for not knowing the rules.

 

http://www.lindenlab.com/tos

1.2 The Service exists only as long as and in the form that we may provide the Service, and all aspects of the Service, including your User Content, are subject to change or elimination.

Linden Lab has the right to change, limit access to, and/or eliminate any aspect(s), feature(s) or functionality of the Service (including your User Content) as it sees fit at any time without notice, and Linden Lab makes no commitment, express or implied, to maintain or continue, or to permit open access to, any aspect of the Service. You acknowledge that your use of the Service is subject to this risk and that you knowingly assume it and make your decisions to participate in the Service, contribute Content and spend your money accordingly.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I am aware of the ToS, and that they can change certain features, but the fact they are going to potentially do changes that will in essence render an entire inventory useless nearly is rather a tad over done. I would much prefer backwards compatibility. They do not need to allow the prims and sculpts to be generated in SL, but allow the ones in existence to still work. 

I feel this goes beyond a mere ToS event, this is a major change, basically a whole new system. Not even Second Life so to speak. Calling it SL2 does not change it is entirely something new. It should not be to hard for a compatibility coding. If such was not possible people could not get nintendo games for the PC to work with emulators. I am saying they should not say "possibly" or "potentially" but should say "We work to keep our user base from losing all they have invested years and money into." Not a damn cold ToS link basiccally telling me to screw myself.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


XNyanNyanX wrote:

I am aware of the ToS, and that they can change certain features, but the fact they are going to potentially do changes that will in essence render an entire inventory useless nearly is rather a tad over done. I would much prefer backwards compatibility.

They can even "pull the plug" at any time, for any reason, or for no reason at all. Without any compensations to anybody. They have clearly stated it, it's their world and their rules. We can argue that "it's not fair". But it will not change anything.

What they are doing now is:

 

• Keeping the present SL running as long as it is profitable for them. (For a company that is sensible thing to do.)

• Developing new platform without letting backwards compatibility to prevent new better things to be developed.

What other options there would be really to remain as the leader in the business of virtual worlds? Sit on their hands and one day find out that some other company has built a new more advanced virtual world that attracts the masses? In my thinking that would be a slow suicide for Linden Lab.

 

Often strict backwards compatibility will get in the way of true advancement. Sometimes it is just not possible to develop new things and keep backwards compatibility.

Surely, lots of present SL content will not be imported into the new platform due to incompatibility.

That's how things are.

Backwards-compatibility.jpg

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites


XNyanNyanX wrote:

I am aware of the ToS, and that they can change certain features, but the fact they are going to potentially do changes that will in essence render an entire inventory useless nearly is rather a tad over done. I would much prefer backwards compatibility. They do not need to allow the prims and sculpts to be generated in SL, but allow the ones in existence to still work. 

They aren't getting rid of prims and sculpties in SL.  The new platform will be separate and co-exist along side of SL... so you will lose nothing.

 


XNyanNyanX wrote:

I feel this goes beyond a mere ToS event, this is a major change, basically a whole new system. Not even Second Life so to speak. Calling it SL2 does not change it is entirely something new. It should not be to hard for a compatibility coding. If such was not possible people could not get nintendo games for the PC to work with emulators. I am saying they should not say "possibly" or "potentially" but should say "We work to keep our user base from losing all they have invested years and money into." Not a damn cold ToS link basiccally telling me to screw myself.

No one is telling you to screw yourself.  But, if you truly feel as if you're being screwed, you've got no one but yourself to blame for your feeling that way.  SL isn't going anywhere any time soon.  The new platform is just that, a whole new platform... you can either choose to use it or continue using SL.  LL has no obligation to you, nor anyone else, to keep SL open indefinitely... you'll have to rely on their statement that they intend to do so as long as it remains financially advantageous, which is actually how it's always been.

In other words, don't panic.  The situation is not as dire as you seem to think.

...Dres

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2230 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share


×
×
  • Create New...