Linden Lab is building a NEW virtual world

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2861 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Mony Lindman wrote:

Thank you. I hope they will think about all the details ..

There are also a lot of full perm animations made by animators who are no longer in SL so they can not make any modifications. And some other animators probably would not know how .. I hope there will be some "tool" to convert these bvh anims to whatever format will be used, or maybe LL could convert them upon moving them.. and then we must only pray that they will fit to all those skeletons..

Well, as Ebbe pointed out earlier, there can be all kinds of issues with just porting things over, namely products that might break, or merchants that aren't here anymore, as well as many other issues. Maybe, as a creator, I refuse to use the New SL because I can not agree to the TOS. Then I'd be pretty mad if LL just ported all my animations into the New SL without my approval. I, personally, would not expect to see animations in this new SL from long gone creators in the old SL. That said, there are more and more animators every day, and even more people who love fiddling around with it. There will be more than enough people to ask to make whatever might be missing.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Drongle McMahon wrote:

"Also Intercontinental boating should be made possible.!

If there are oceans, there could be ocean currents too, and hurricanes, and a Bermuda Triangle.

And on land, let's hope there will be proper terrain instead of just heightmaps, so we can have caves, tunnels and mines.

Sometimes all of SL can feel like one great big giant Bermuda Triangle.  ;)

"I know I rezzzed a house here last night....now where the heck did it go........."

Which would bring up another bucket list item:  Inventory Back Up.

Yes but the animations I have are paid already, while the new ones I would have to pay again .. These animations are my capital, I invested about 2 million lindens in animations and when I say "invest" I do mean that till now I considered them an investition, a very good one and .. long term ..

For me , and for many others who use animations in their builds , the transfer and the use of these animations in the new world is vital.

The only logical solution would be to invest in all new servers. Lets face it, their current servers (aside from the ones opened up in the last year or two) are barely chugging along as it is. It would be equivalent to taking the original servers from beta and trying to run the current incarnation of SL1 on them and not expect problems from the get go. But hey, I could very well be wrong, and it would not be the first time that a company failed to do what is logical in favor of saving a few dollars.

~~Torlok

Mony Lindman wrote:

Bet solution would be to do it like High Fidelity : sims hosted on the user's computer. Then with the money i save not having to pay tier 1 or 2 months i could buy a kick ass new computer and host a lot of sims on it
:)

This would not be a good solution in most instances, and disastourous in others. Take, for example, sims dedicated to housing and rental land. The sheer number of scripts running at once would be taxing on even the most up to date, high end personal computers. If you want proof, go to a club that the sim resides on one of the newer servers. Even it chugs, lags, and sometimes crashes due to the load put on it. Now take into account that NO personal computer has the power of a server, and you are looking at constant crashes and downtime for sims.

~~Torlok

• Lindens

Count Burks wrote:

Mister Altberg,

I am what your company refers to as a "Key customer" and am curious as are my colleagues, what Linden Research does have in mind for the Estates of Second Life as this migration will have a serious impact on our business.

Migrating databases and inventories is one thing. The estates did make serious investments in Second Life and have been providing you with a steady flow of income for years.

In the year 2007 Linden Lab did put up a big plaster of an advertisement on its website stating: "Come to Second Life and start a Real Estate business". Linden Lab gladly took the millions of USD$ in investment. I did not hear a word yet from you how you intend to treat all the Estates which put in a lot of labor and often cover for you.

I am looking forward to your thoughts and ideas, many are looking forward to hear that.

Count Burks

Hi, it's very early as we're still mostly dealing with a lot of lower level technical things right now and don't yet have fully fleshed out business models etc. But there is no doubt that it will be important to enable entrepreneurs that provide services on top of our platform that solve things for certain communities, segments, markets, etc. I believe our success depends on it otherwise we won't scale as well. There will be plenty of time to discuss these things and we look forward to doing that when we get a bit further along. It's still very early...

I think that many of us have forgotten that WE have a much longer history with Second Life than Ebbe. Some people on this thread have been here from the beginning or close to it. Not many new kids on the block will even bother to read this thread; they have no investment.

Now Ebbe seems to be a pretty good guy. True, he  is a "company man"; that is part of his job description after all and he wouldn't be playing his role if he was otherwise. He IS talking and that is something we haven't really seen in a long time. (True LOL he hasn't answered any of MY questions, but still he has given us a lot more info than we had.)

Linden Lab is building a new world.

We can choose to be part of it or not.

This SL 2.0 revelation is a much better scenario than other end games of the TOS of August. I personally am fairly pleased and you know I was not quiet over all of that.

So remember that in many ways he is somehow accountable in many minds for the sins of his predecessors. He should not be judged too harshly or too preemptively. If he is to become a villain in your mind -- let him earn that on his own.

We are NOT responsible for the mistakes made before we entered the arena.

That's my two cents anyway.

Ebbe, I have to ask....after reading this and other message boards you replied to, you have yet to answer the one burning question I have....what incentives will there be for people to migrate from SL1 to SL2? Other than it being "a new shiny SQUIRREL" type of thing?

~~~Torlok

Mony Lindman wrote:

Best solution would be to do it like High Fidelity : sims hosted on the user's computer. Then with the money i save not having to pay tier 1 or 2 months i could buy a kick ass new computer and host a lot of sims on it
:)

Would I be able to compel the inhabitants of my sims I am hosting under such a configuration to make sacrifices to me, construct temples and idols etc?

If so, then sign me up!

Mony Lindman wrote:

If Philip is doing it at High Fidelity , then it must be doable. I dont think he wants to build a world where all sims would crash every 5 minutes.. I dont know how but there must be a way to solve this problem..

High Fidelity isn't really a virtual world like Second Life. It's a networking, conferencing, and social media app employing virtual space and avatars. It's less about creating "not possible in real life" type of experiences, and more about connecting through virtual embodiment.

Think of it sort of like Skype, with cartoons and voxels instead of people.

(Edited for clarity and precision.)

Vivienne Schell wrote:

Beta will be within six months and they do not have a clue on FORMATS? Nor on the visual appearance? Infrastructure? Graphics Engine? Server Software? Database? Legal and community framework? Whatever?

Sorry, but the investor who bought this must be pretty simple minded.

Ebbe said they were aiming for a beta in 2015. What company has ever hit the very beginnning of their target, especially with something as complex as SL? If they manage a beta in 2015, look for it in late December.

If LL does the job right, it'll take months to work out their goals for SL 2, several more months to get the design in place, and then they can start coding. It's a lot of work and LL can't throw hundreds of people at it like Google or Microsoft could. 

• Lindens

Chic Aeon wrote:

I do have a question for Ebbe and THANK YOU for joining in the conversation. I believe that was an excellent move and is appreciated by many.

Has it been decided if folks will be able to be in SL 1.0 and SL 2.0 (I know that isn't an official moniker) and keep their inventories OR will they need to choose a version or make an alt to be in both?

Editing as that may not have been clear from a reply from someone else. "IF a person wants to remain in SL 1 and also be in SL 2 will they be able to have the same inventories (at least as of the time of the move)  -- so similar to the beta grid, a one way copy. " TY.

You will be able to be in both but you won't have a shared inventory as some content can't be the same across the two. 

• Lindens

We don't have all those answers yet. I believe it's important to support entrepreneurs that provides solutions that we can't for various businesses, verticals, markets, languages, etc. etc. Clearly that will only succeed if they can add value and get rewarded for providing that value. We're very early here, still dealing with low level technical stuff and don't have business models etc. all figured out yet. We will bring our ideas forth as soon as we have something and meanwhile I'm all for hearing your ideas so that when the time is right we can start a good dialog. 

Maybe I'll just leave these here for a moment . . . :-)

• Following up on the answer above, do you see the Community Standards as remaining more or less stable?

• Will there still be free avatar accounts? (I assume that accounts will remain anomymous/pseudonymous.)

• if there are free accounts, will there be limits on the number of accounts (I think there are, theoretically, now, but if so it isn't enforced).

• Will there be built-in viewer building tools for things like mesh, comparable to what currently exists for prims, so that more creation can be accomplished in-world?

• Will the new VW feature a version of the LEA, so that support will continue for the arts on the new grid (this is an important question for me).

• The move to make the new world work for Oculus Rift notwithstanding, will the viewer UI continue to be relatively friendly and usable for those using more old-fashioned tech? (I.e., a mouse and keyboard)

• I am delighted and impressed by your answers here -- do you see other forms of consultation with residents in the future? And not just with the high-end land barons or content creators?

Qie Niangao wrote:

Other than invalidating all existing content for which no such agreement could be practically obtained (
creators gone missing
, etc.), this all seems an utter waste of time. It may be the cost of doing business globally, but that doesn't make it less silly.

Interesting point and you should include avatars gone missing. How could anyone expect LL to bring in all the inventories of every sign up in SL history to the new platform? I know people who have left SL for years and returned. How will inventories be deemed "worthy" of adding to the new platform? Will there be a request form of some sorts?

I know you can't answer these but you sparked the sine wave.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2861 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.