Linden Lab is building a NEW virtual world

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2888 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Medhue Simoni wrote:

Perrie Juran wrote:

Communicaton has improved but still could be better.  There are pros and cons to telling us what they are working on.  But I'm really not sure what you are wanting to know.  I guess they could have told us a year ago that it was going to take a re-write of the MP systems to fix a few of the long standing snafus.  But we do know now they are ready to start implementing this new system.  The transcripts for the TPV meetings are publically posted and available for anyone to read.  I guess someone at LL could write a synopsis and put it in the official blog.  That could make it easier for us.  But outside of this I'm not sure what else you are wanting to know. 

LL tries to run SL like it is some big game company, hiding things until they think the time is right. This is not how things should be done. New features and new tech is not a secret, and doesn't need to be. LL is not going to announce something and all of game media is going to come running. It's ridiculous for them to think this way. What LL has is a developer's world. This means, they should work directly with developers to help to make the platform better. Platforms like Blender and Unity are similar to SL, and neither of them hide much at all. They are both very open about what they are doing. Heck, on Unity's site, you can read about Unity5 and Unity6, when the current version is Unity 4.3. Blender development has been crazy the last couple of years, and every bit of it you can read about. Literally, when a new feature comes out, those of us that make tutorials will have 1 out for that feature the day it is released in the official version. Usually too, people are making tutorials when the features are in beta to get more users using it. I'll also point out that Blender takes it bug fixing extremely seriously, and in all of blender, there are currently less than 150 bug reports, and never varies from there much. With SL, we are still dealing with 8 year old crippling bugs.

What do I want? I want NO MORE SECRETS! Like I pointed out, SL is a world for developers, like Blender and Unity. This means, that the developers need to know things. We need to know what is happening and how things are gonna change, way ahead of time. Even now with the New World, why aren't they talking about it? Why aren't they open about it? We saw the hysteria when it slipped out. It didn't need to happen that way at all. LL has not even sat down with any of us to ask us what we want. The longer I wait to find out what is going on with the New World, the more I think it will be a disaster. When is LL going to learn that we are their biggest asset?

Perrie Juran wrote:

The problem with this quite simply put is Editorial Control.

In an extreme consider what happenned when a Blogger announced that the Second Life Press Corps was told Firestorm was being banned. 

Ha ha! Funny stuff!

Maybe you forget, I'm a libertarian. I find this stuff quite amusing, as they get blown way out of proportion. If I were LL, I wouldn't think twice about such things. Let people create their own drama. If we did have some mass media system, and I was LL's CEO, I wouldn't care at all if people posted crazy stuff, or bashed LL. It's all part of the SL experience, and just produces more hype, good or bad. If statements need to be made by LL, then they'll make them. I don't see a problem at all. Usually, it will be the community that will point out the ridiculousness of most of these things.

I don't have any real background with Unity or Blender but from what I understand they are really not platforms but programs for developing content.  And developing content is only one part of what Second life is about.  Second Life gives you the place where you can put your content on the "ground" so comparing them on things like bug fixes is really about as valid as the way WOW runs compared to SL.

I've been in agreement with some of the things you have harped about LL doing or not doing.  But reallly the only person you are thinking about is you:  What you think is best for you.  That is something we all do.  But what is best for you may not be best for everyone.  If I'm running a Vegan Restaraunt and you order a steak am I obligated to cater just to you?

And yes, I know you are Libertarian.  I was however not aware that Libertarians discard the concept that "Your right to swing your fist ends where my nose begins."  And while I abhor censorship the law does impose penalties for those who commit lible, and I believe rightfully so.  Allowing a 'free for all' can be very dangerous.  That is the breeding ground for Factions and Factions were something the Founding Fathers went to great length to both warn us about and to protect us from.  They are generally self serving and rarely have the benefit of the whole community in mind.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Perrie Juran wrote:

And yes, I know you are Libertarian.  I was however not aware that Libertarians discard the concept that "Your right to swing your fist ends where my nose begins."  And while I abhor censorship the law does impose penalties for those who commit lible, and I believe rightfully so.  Allowing a 'free for all' can be very dangerous.  That is the breeding ground for Factions and Factions were something the Founding Fathers went to great length to both warn us about and to protect us from.  They are generally self serving and rarely have the benefit of the whole community in mind.

Actually, Libertarians don't believe in violence, unless for self defense. That said, many people are a bit too liberal with lible. And, as many libertarian philosophers have pointed out, you can't own your reputation. Reputation is something that exists in other people's heads, and you can't own other people's perceptions. I think Walter does a nice job in this video explaining the libertarian view.

Medhue Simoni wrote:

Perrie Juran wrote:

Actually, Libertarians don't believe in violence, unless for self defense.

In that case we will use a "non violent" analogy.  'Your right to plant a garden ends where my property line begins."

Medhue Simoni wrote:

That said, many people are a bit too liberal with lible. And, as many libertarian philosophers have pointed out, you can't own your reputation. Reputation is something that exists in other people's heads, and you can't own other people's perceptions. I think Walter does a nice job in this video explaining the libertarian view.

I'm glad to see that at least you did not say that Lible didn't exist.

Perrie Juran wrote:

Medhue Simoni wrote:

That said, many people are a bit too liberal with lible. And, as many libertarian philosophers have pointed out, you can't own your reputation. Reputation is something that exists in other people's heads, and you can't own other people's perceptions. I think Walter does a nice job in this video explaining the libertarian view.

I think the real point of this comes down to 2 things. 1- should jealous people be put in cages for their lies? If not, then why would we write laws to do this? Maybe counselling would be better. 2- In a free market environment, if you are going to spend your precious time making up or entertaining gossip, you'll be spending less time actually doing something productive. Hence, as a long term plan, it's not logically something people should not want to spend their time doing.

I also think it is much less of an issue today, because the internet allows all of us to much more transparent and express ourselves on a more even plane.

Medhue Simoni wrote:

Perrie Juran wrote:

Medhue Simoni wrote:

I think the real point of this comes down to 2 things. 1- should jealous people be put in cages for their lies? If not, then why would we write laws to do this? Maybe counselling would be better. 2- In a free market environment, if you are going to spend your precious time making up or entertaining gossip, you'll be spending less time actually doing something productive. Hence, as a long term plan, it's not logically something people should not want to spend their time doing.

I also think it is much less of an issue today, because the internet allows all of us to much more transparent and express ourselves on a more even plane.

1) In the United States and most Western countries, libel is a civil offense, not a criminal one. In these countries nobody is "put in cages" for it and in fact laws concerning libel are largely to carve out exceptions so that certain people can't be sued for it.

2) In a free-market environment anything that people will pay for is productive. Gossip is and has been big business for as long as people have paid for information. It's not very useful, but then neither is an animation overrider in the grand scheme of things.

Medhue Simoni wrote:

Perrie Juran wrote:

Medhue Simoni wrote:

I was having trouble in RL finding a new job.  As it turned out a previous employer was making false statements about me, essentially accusing me of being a thief. Tell me, why shouldn't I have recourse against him?

I might not own my reputation, but guess what, it still is my reputation.

Dont like the idea of an email I got today, saying theres an extended annual maintenance schedule each day at 7am.  This will be almost certain to end in chaos by half way through the week.:matte-motes-sour:

I have  never known an annual week long restarts & inspections, unless I  missed them over the last 6 years?

Have my suspicions that this more like a "Stock Check", like how many grids are empty, how many people frequent them, should they remove a few hundred grids, is it worth still keeping SL1 going, if its starting to lose $, as people start to cut back on spending until 2015 and what is going to be on the table for us in the new Beta SL2 version?

Creators are still building new Aircraft, when , really they have no idea, or at least an educated guess, that there builds, will be able to be transfered over? Why would any resident buy a new aircraft that may only be available to use for another 6-9 months, then probably lose it if the inventory cant been migrated?? Dont make business sense to me ?

Michaelatv Destiny wrote:

Dont like the idea of an email I got today, saying theres an extended annual maintenance schedule each day at 7am.  This will be almost certain to end in chaos by half way through the week.:matte-motes-sour:

I have  never known an annual week long restarts & inspections, unless I  missed them over the last 6 years?

Have my suspicions that this more like a "Stock Check", like how many grids are empty, how many people frequent them, should they remove a few hundred grids, is it worth still keeping SL1 going, if its starting to lose $, as people start to cut back on spending until 2015 and what is going to be on the table for us in the new Beta SL2 version?

Creators are still building new Aircraft, when , really they have no idea, or at least an educated guess, that there builds, will be able to be transfered over? Why would any resident buy a new aircraft that may only be available to use for another 6-9 months, then probably lose it if the inventory cant been migrated??
Dont make business sense to me ?

What doesn't make sense is people posting without knowing what on earth they're talking about. I'm not going to educate you. After all this time you really should have grasped the basics by now.

loose conection.jpg

They are just cleaning up this mess.

And I don't know where anyone got the 'annual' from.  That was not in the Grid Status notice.  I'm not aware of them doing this before though really it doesn't sound like a bad idea.  Unless someone may be misinterpretting the phrase 'scheduled maintenance.'

Yep, you missed the weeks we've had them, we've had a few. In fact we had some that were really, really nasty. Well, for some people they were really, really nasty, others may not have noticed as much. There is nothing "annual" about it, though. They usually arise when something's gone haywire and they cannot properly pinpoint precisely what, or possibly equipment upgrades/maintenance, etc...

Perrie Juran wrote:

I was having trouble in RL finding a new job.  As it turned out a previous employer was making false statements about me, essentially accusing me of being a thief. Tell me, why shouldn't I have recourse against him?

Well, if they are falsely accusing you of a crime, then that would be lible. I said that was wrong and can be prosecuted for. That said, you are making a bunch of assumptions just getting to that line of thinking. 1 of those assumptions is that you need a job, or have some right to a job. This could only be an issue when jobs and opportunities are scarce. So, the real issue is not the gossip, or accusations, but the amount of oppression keeping the amount of jobs and opportunities low.

Yeah, it is your reputation, which also means that you might want to defend it.

Medhue Simoni wrote:

Perrie Juran wrote:

Well, if they are falsely accusing you of a crime, then that would be lible. I said that was wrong and can be prosecuted for. That said, you are making a bunch of assumptions just getting to that line of thinking. 1 of those assumptions is that you need a job, or have some right to a job. This could only be an issue when jobs and opportunities are scarce. So, the real issue is not the gossip, or accusations, but the amount of oppression keeping the amount of jobs and opportunities low.

Yeah, it is your reputation, which also means that you might want to defend it.

This is where, from my point of view, you are making a lot of assumptions, the primary one being that I am making assumptions.  As I pointed out, I actually know experientially about this.

• 1 month later...

Madison Gardner wrote:

I would like to know what will happen to the privately  owned sims and grandfathered sims.  Do they get brought over to the new arena?  How will they be handled?

Also the gold members.  what will happen to the rights of the gold members who invested in second life in the begining of bata?

Nobody has any rights, merely privileges temporarily accorded them by the powerful.

Madison Gardner wrote:

I would like to know what will happen to the privately  owned sims and grandfathered sims.  Do they get brought over to the new arena?  How will they be handled?

Also the gold members.  what will happen to the rights of the gold members who invested in second life in the begining of bata?

You haven't yet understood what LL is doing. They are not creating an upgrade to SL. They are creating another virtual world. SL will continue after the other one is launched, so the answer to your question about sims is nothing. Nothing will happen to them. They will continue as normal.

I've no idea what a gold member is, or any 'member', so I can't offer anything about it.

LlazarusLlong wrote:

Perrie Juran wrote:

I agree, LL is not a person.  But what we do have now is a person at the helm who appears to be in this for the long haul.

I have heard rumours that he is leaving on 1 April 2015 to take up a position with a "less flaky" [sic] organisation.

I guess then that the joke would be on us.  ;)

• 2 months later...

Hello there, my first post in any SL Forum, hope it is not de-placed :)

So...my Account is about 8 years old, will we be able to keep our names? Or do we all gain the "Resident" Name.

Without decreasing the efford of the resident in sl, but i really would appreciate to let others see my actual SL age there.

If it starts from 0 for everyone, it feels more like loosing something.

I dont mind about my avi itself, anything i have now in SL i could rebuild or rebuy. And even it may cost some money, i will be willingly pay it aslong as SL2 is really a way better than SL itself.

But my Name is to me a important part of my identity i gained, and i dont want to miss it.

I mean, i spend a lot of time in SL, i guess that should be rewarded.

Thanks for listening, and sorry if i wrote in the wrong forum.

I am just worried alot.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2888 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.