weird translator bar I can't get rid of

Belladonna Eberhardt

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 5130 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Here's a picture of an oddity that has started to appear from time to time for no apparent reason.

crazy_translator_bar2.png

See it in the upper left of the screen? Whenever I type anything anywhere - chat, IMs, search inventory, anything - that bar pops up and tries to translate into whatever language that is. Japanese? Chinese? Korean? does it matter?? No!  I can't figure out what I'm doing to make it appear and the only way I can get it to go away is to relog.

Anybody know what it is and/or how to get rid of it? Thanks!

Im not sure about anything! It just started magically appearing sometimes...and only when I'm in SL. I have no idea how are why or what or where it came from, it's not always there.I've tried right clicking on the thing to see if I can get more info or turn it off and nothing happens. There's no discernable way to access options on it. I'm not convinced it part of the viewer, it might be something with Windows 7, but who knows?? I've done a Google search and can't find anything on it but then again since I have no idea where it came from I may not be searching the right terms. I didn't know where else to turn and all of you are sooo helpful I thought this was my best bet.

Vick I'm not wearing a translator and I don't have RLV enabled. And I checked both just to be sure since I am a flake lol.

I'll try Bob's suggestion when I get home tonight and reinstall the viewer. Can't hurt. Thanks for your answers so far everyone.

If it still appears after the new installation, you should have a look in the Windows task manager to see if there is some strange programm running. Because on the screenshot itself it appears to have it's own input textbox - and that is not possible for an inworld object.

It doesn't have it's own text input box. It inputs the text from where you're putting in text in SL...chat bar, inventory, search box, etc. As you input it shows the text in that box in the upper left, but you can't change it there, though you can select one of the characters beneath it for your translation. It'd actually be a neat tool if I needed it. Or had any idea how to make it stop when I didn't need it.

No I'm pretty sure it doesn't have anything to do with Emerald, but because the OP is using the Emerald viewer my thought process is the Emerald team would know more about how to get rid of it and other such 3rd party stuff, and more about their viewers user settings/where this 3rd party device would be on the OPs computer so it can interact with the Emerald viewer etal than I do.

What i'd suggest is go to the Emerald Support website, you'll see four names listing their support staff who are inworld... get ahold of one of them giving the screenshot.  I'm thinking this is embedded in your Emerald user settings; they can tell you how to do a complete uninstall ('just' an uninstall won't get rid of the temporary settings most programs leave behind) which ideally will trash this translator along with everything else.

http://modularsystems.sl/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=5&Itemid=10

you'll note they have people inworld, and an email addy to get ahold of their support team, and an inworld support group.  The logic being, who knows better than how to deal with something that effects the Emerald viewer better than the people who created it 

Using a process of elimination, this seems a HUD of some sort, try taking all your attachments off one at a time to see if taking an attachment off gets rid of this also (in case this translator HUD is somehow invisibly bundled with some other attachment you are wearing)

It looks like a hud to me. Can you right click it and go into edit? If so, find out its name, find it in your inventory, detach it and delete it. It may also be something you are wearing that is attaching the HUD when you do something or type something specific, or it could be an item you are sitting that has permissions to attach a HUD.

Hello Belladonna, if you do not see this translator with the Second Life Viewer 1.23.5 (136262) Oct 14 2009 12:08:26 (Second Life Release), try completely uninstalling the Emerald Viewer, How do I fully uninstall and reinstall Second Life?

Please make sure the Emerald Cache, User Settings and content of any Windows Temporary folders are also deleted. Reboot your computer.

Then download the latest Emerald Viewer, save the programme to your Desktop and install.

Has it gone ?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 5130 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.