Is the heel-click sound evil?

Tonks Palfrey

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2086 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

On 3/8/2010 at 11:25 AM, Viktoria Dovgal said:

My main issue with that sound is that it's just like the stock sound clip used in old movies, and in those movies the clicking invariably stops and is followed by a blood curdling scream. I would like the SL shoes if they included the scream.

Hahahaha!  Viktoria, you need to meet my friend Madelaine...

@bethanyharris21,

Sounds always come from an object (well, except for voice, music and media, and the notification sounds that come from your viewer.)  A heel click sound is usually in the shoes themselves, but it can also be in a little invisible object that you wear separately.  A lot of shoes allow you to turn the heel click on or off in the shoes' menu.  Left click the shoes and see if a control menu appears.  If there is no menu, or no sound option in it, try taking the shoes off.  If the click is still there, then check your attachments to see what you're wearing that could be making the sound, and detach it.

If the sound is in the shoes, but the shoes don't include a way to turn it off, you can throw away the shoes and buy better ones.  If the shoes are modifiable, you can try this:

• Obtain, or create and upload an SL-compatible sound clip that consists of nothing but silence
  • Rez the shoes in world from your inventory (don't wear them, drag them out onto the floor)
  • Right click the shoes, select Edit, and look in the Content tab of the Edit window. 
  • Find the clicking sound file there.  Note its name
  • Rename your silent sound file in your inventory with the same exact name
  • Delete the click sound file in the shoes
  • Drag your silence file and drop it into the shoes
  • Take the modified shoes back into your inventory

(I suggest this rather complicated procedure rather than simply deleting the sound file and its accompanying script, because every time I do that, the darn object still keeps making the sound.  There are ways to prevent this, and Rolig Loon will probably chime in here with the correct solution, but the above is my clumsy workaround.)

And yes, I know that this is a necro'd thread from eight years ago!  But I simply had to respond, because...I LIKE the heel click sounds, darn it!  I like them in RL too, they say to the world, "Here comes Lindal, and she's looking hot in her $200 pumps today."

1 hour ago, bethanyharris21 said:

I want to turn off the heel sound. Can you please help me where I can find that option?

This thread is eight and a half years old, but fortunately the answer is the same as it would have been way back then .....  If the script in your shoes does not have that option, you can only hope that the script in them can be modified or removed.  You will have to either remove the sound command from the script or remove the script itself.

EDIT:  Since Lindal mentioned a more complicated solution, I should probably point out that most scripters these days do not put a sound file into things like shoes.  That refer to the sound by hard coding its UUID in the scrips.

Edited by Rolig Loon

3 hours ago, Rolig Loon said:

This thread is eight and a half years old, but fortunately the answer is the same as it would have been way back then .....  If the script in your shoes does not have that option, you can only hope that the script in them can be modified or removed.  You will have to either remove the sound command from the script or remove the script itself.

EDIT:  Since Lindal mentioned a more complicated solution, I should probably point out that most scripters these days do not put a sound file into things like shoes.  That refer to the sound by hard coding its UUID in the scrips.

Oh, poopies.  Those sneaky darn scripters.  Present company excepted.  Could you post your Script Killer Script again, please?  If that would help?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2086 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.