Tonks Palfrey

Is the heel-click sound evil?

Question

Tonks.Palfrey wrote:

Should I turn it off?

hehehe For me yes, please. But nevertheless I can live with that (%$$!!!ck) click .

Most people do get annoyed by it. I have sounds turned off most of the time so I don't hear even more annoying gestures so none of it bothers me

Yes I find that sound quite evil, most of the time I have my sounds of so it doesnt bother me.

If I hear one person walking by with that sound its not a problem, but in busy or laggy sims that sound can be pretty annoying.

My main issue with that sound is that it's just like the stock sound clip used in old movies, and in those movies the clicking invariably stops and is followed by a blood curdling scream. I would like the SL shoes if they included the scream.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I know most people hate it, but I don't quite understand why. Ofcourse too loud or inappropriate sounds (like gestures...) are annoying, but a realistic walking sound? It doesn't bother me. Might still be wiser to turn it off, if you go to places with a lot of people.

• Like 1

Yes Please!!!  "It's definitely on my Top Five Things I Hate Most in SL".  Having said that, I did once do a "blondie" and buy a pair of boots and didn't realise they had clicky sounds until someone IM'd me complimenting me on their realistic heel sounds - I died of shame and it's first thing I do when I buy any footwear - check the menu!

:-) What I find interesting here is the number of people (me too!) who usually have sound turned off anyway.  Yet another reason LL should stop trying to get us all to use voice.

YES - Turn it off.

I don't understand why people like that clicking sound at all. It is really a pet peeve to hear it when someone is walking on grass too.

I don't have sound turned off since I like to hear the various sorts of music people have playing. The sound of heels clicking is distracting and takes away from that enjoyment. It is extremely annoying when its a half a dozen and more, like at some clubs.

i dont think it'd be that bad if it wasnt so loud, and if there was a way to detect the surface for being a surface that should click or not.  the real life ones are loud and annoying, the sl ones shouldn't have to be too.

I don't really like the heel click sounds, especially when walking on grass lol, but I don't understand the extreme reactions to it. You would think that the noise was going to make people spontanously combust or something. I have been literally bumped and pushed because I had forgotten to turn the sound off of a new pair of shoes (and for some reason I didn't hear it) Guess it's too much to ask this being an adult site and all, that people would use their words

i don't see the problem with shoe sounds i used to wear a device that had the shoe sound on all the time not ideal if your wearing trainers i stopped wearing it and just use the sounds that come inbuilt in to shoes if they have them and make sure the sound is not too loud most of the time i don't even notice it because i don't have sound on but walking all the time with it on could be annoying to people. if there was a more realistic sound that reacted to tarmac gravel grass sand etc and used the appropriate sound i'm sure that would be more acceptable to the whole of SL

• Like 1

For me I would say turn off - especially in no script zones.  The area I work is no scripts and I sometimes get to screaming point by a clicky heel getting stuck and just going on and on and on and....you get the idea

But I have a favourite pair of boots with a clicky heel that are unmodifiable...how do I turn this off anyone! I want to wear them again

If it has volume control, set it to 10-30% at most. It's an okay effect really, except that most who use it have the sound set to 100% so you can hear it all the way on the other side of the sim. At 10%, it's clearly audible within 3 meters, with the sound dying down real fast at larger distances.

And to not make you look too silly, turn it off when you're on a beach. It's already odd to walk on sand with stiletto's, but it's simply stupid if it also makes a noisy click-click sound!