Abandoned Puppeteering Project... (Avatar Ragdoll Physics.)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3334 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello, I just wanted to bring a technology under the attention that has been put on hold for a long time, the Puppeteering Project

So, it's interesting to see that Linden Research has been toying with the idea before back in 2011. Only, from what I read on their Wiki, it was put on hold because 'Project in hibernation so that developers have time to devote to projects that increase Second Life's stability and performance'... Okay... Linden Research has been at that for a little more than 3 years now, are they still not done with that or is Project Puppeteering completely abandoned? 

Ragdoll Physics has been in software and games as early as 1998 so why not in Second Life. I guess one could argue it would bring a lot of problems and technical difficulties but the Lindens have been testing it, so I suppose it is not that far from possible. I just hope they haven't forgotten the project and can maybe be supported into giving it another try because I know plenty of situations where this would be a welcome addition.

The biggest example would be Combat Sims, sure, one would argue its usefulness but it does add to the immersion. (And I bet it would get the option to be disabled.) I imagine it being triggered when Linden Damage is enabled on the Parcel and the Avatar's health reaching 0%. The body stays longer and turns physical, gloriously flailing across the ground with the energy still left from whatever velocity it had upon dying.

'course, Other things would be for Gestures and funny items and gadgets, I know people love funny gadgets since I try to specialize in making such stuff for my Marketplace store and they sell pretty good.

So yeah, that's my two cents on the Project, I just hope it won't get stowed away and forgotten. I'm not begging it to be reinstated even though I would want to, I just wish to hear what happened to it and what the further plans are.

Additional sources: Jurassic Park: Trespasser Wiki, Second Life Avatar Puppeteering Website. (Yes, a whole website dedicated to it, from the looks of it written by one of the devs.)

that project really died by the end of 2007, at the time there was not a great interface for it. High Fidelity has a much more practical implementation of the idea. it is not imediately clear how well this could be retrofitted to Second Life, the same degree of interactivity would be impeded by its architecture.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3334 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.