Imprudence keeps telling me to check my computer clock - not having issues with any other viewer

Metioche

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3570 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

4 answers to this question

hi

your computer has two clocks

one the operating system clock, and two the bois clock.

on start up

press delete or  F1, and some computer you press  F2 to open the bois

once the bois is open you see the system bois clock, check its set ok.

and if you not using the computer alot, the little battiery in side the computer may need to be replace.

hope this help u

enjoy sl

bye

Hi Metioche,

I don't know why Imprudence would be the only viewer to give you that error message. Here's what the Second Life Wiki page has to say about that particular error message...

Computer's clock is set incorrectly

The full error reads:

Unable to connect to Second Life.Often this means that your computer's clock is set incorrectly.Please go to Control Panels and make sure the time and dateare set correctly.

This message has been around a long time and can be misleading. It refers to time-based sensitivities with security certificates, but normally isn't a problem, as you can test for yourself by deliberately setting your computer to the wrong time and trying to login. It should work.

If you're absolutely certain your time is set correctly, you haven't changed your system setup, and Second Life was working fine moments before, it's likely a transient problem with our servers. Check the Grid Status Reports page for news and try to login periodically — often all it takes is patience while we fix Second Life. If you continue to get this problem after logins work reliably again for other Residents, contact Support.

I'm not a PC user, so I'll defer to Jeffrey's theory about the BIOS clock being wrong while the displayed clock appears right.

Good luck!

• Like 1

jeffrey1's solution is a bit complex, but will work. Instead you can use your systems time and date setting tools to change the computer's time without going into the BIOS settings. Your computer system's time and date controls will set the hardware clock in the computer. There is ONLY ONE of those.

Depending on your operating system there may be a software clock. But, if so, it updates from the hardware clock on start up and updates the hardware shutdown, but that style of time keeping is rare... the RTC is implemented in hardware so that it is independent of software and thus unaffected by software crashes.

The most common problem is with the RTC battery, Real Time Clock. This is usually a quarter (US coin) sized battey. When it fails the computer reverts to whatever deafult date and time is built into the BIOS/computer everytime the computer is powered down.

When people reset the time and date, the most common mistake is getting the year wrong. People tend to overlook it.

Check your computers time and date.

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3570 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.