I'm not allowed to log into a shared account our team has created. Does different IP block its use?

AndrewJonathanFine

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3754 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Hi,

My team is trying to develop a photoshoot using multiple avatars.  I'm in charge of dressing them properly.  We created at least one test account to share, but it seems only the account creator can use it.  Is the log in tied to a specific computer?  How could we log in from a public library, for example?  Or is there some workaround?  Or is sharing an account, even with permission by the holder, no longer allowed?

Thanks in advance,

Andrew

4 answers to this question

There's no way that the system can tell which person is logging in to an account.  If each member of your team has access to the login information, any of them can log in with it, on any computer.  If you are havin g trouble, suspect local limitations on broadband access.  Colleges and corporattions typically restrict bandwidth during peak use times in order to prevent employees or students from using high-demand programs like SL when they are supposed to be working or studying.  Check with your IT department.

AndrewJonathanFine wrote:

Hi,

My team is trying to develop a photoshoot using multiple avatars.  I'm in charge of dressing them properly.  We created at least one test account to share, but it seems only the account creator can use it.  Is the log in tied to a specific computer?  How could we log in from a public library, for example?  Or is there some workaround?  Or is sharing an account, even with permission by the holder, no longer allowed?

Thanks in advance,

Andrew

I don't think there's any mechanism that can detect whether or not two different humans are accessing the same account. I access my accounts from two computers and from multiple locations without problems.

My best guess is that the account creator accidentally sent the other users an incorrect password.

DISCLAIMER: I'M NOT SAYING WHAT YOU'RE DOING IS OR IS NOT ALLOWABLE, JUST SAYING WHAT PROBABLY HAPPENED. VOID WHERE PROHIBITED BY LAW. YOUR MILEAGE MAY VARY.

• Like 1

There is no technical problem that prevents multiple people from having access to an account, if they have the user name and password, and can otherwise log on to Second Life with their computer and internet connection.

Only one person, of course, may be logged in to the account at any given time.

I must caution you that LL holds the person who created the account responsible for that account.  If anyone using the account manages to commit TOS violations and gets it banned, the account creator will be the one held responsible, and they could find ALL their accounts banned from SL.

Read the Terms of Service and be sure you understand your responsibilities before giving out any account information to third parties. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3754 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.