Sign in to follow this  
geko12

How many Items do you have in your inventory?

Right now, I have roughly 83,000.  I've been in sl, under this particular av name, for six years this month.

The largest number of inventory items I have ever had, however, is much, much, much higher than that, lol.  This is about as low as it is going to get for me :D

I'm almost 7 years in SL as well. I always have kept it around 10,000 items maximum and all well orginised in folders since day one. Just ditch all older stuff older versions and so on, lol. And there is a lot of rubbish from LL that i ditched.

geko12 wrote:

And how long have you been using SL?

I've been in SL for over six years (nearing four on the current avi). My inventory peaked at about 10K and a recent purge has it down to 8K. My goal is 3K.

3 years and about 90,000 items. I felt like I should be doing something more about it, but a friend has over 200,000, so I am not so bothered now.

Aethelwine wrote:

3 years and about 90,000 items. I felt like I should be doing something more about it, but a friend has over 200,000, so I am not so bothered now.

Perhaps your friend ought to start being bothered. I was chatting with someone a few days ago who can't log her main avatar in any more. It crashed before she has time to do anything. LL has tried a number of times to sort it out but without success so far. The thing is, she thinks it's because she has about a quarter of a million items in her inventory. She can't stay logged in for long enough to delete stuff. It may not be the size of her inventory but, if it is, your friend ought to start being bothered.

@the OP: 14,666 items and I've been in SL for 7½ years.

ETA: Make that 13,596 items. I just emptied my Trash :)

Someone posted on this forum or another that they have half a million objects in their inventory without problem.

So long as others have more than me without problem then I am happy.

I have tried to reduce my inventory, but life is just too short.

It is bad enough the hours I have spent copying animations into a box and then going through them to see which transfered and which didn't and then copying them across again, waiting to be able to edit again and filling more gaps when building things. Without doing it for boxing things in to storage too.

Getting 600 animations once from inventory into a box without any missing or duplicates takes hours of checking... and waiting to be able to edit the box again. Anyone that has made a bed menu knows just how badly secondlife handles inventory transfers.

Deleting stuff can only take your inventory down so far when you need and use most of it.

Phil Deakins wrote:

Aethelwine wrote:

Perhaps your friend ought to start being bothered. I was chatting with someone a few days ago who can't log her main avatar in any more. It crashed before she has time to do anything. LL has tried a number of times to sort it out but without success so far. The thing is, she thinks it's because she has about a quarter of a million items in her inventory. She can't stay logged in for long enough to delete stuff. It may not be the size of her inventory but, if it is, your friend ought to start being bothered.

@the OP: 14,666 items and I've been in SL for 7½ years.

ETA: Make that 13,596 items. I just emptied my Trash
:)

I've had over 500k before, and typically stick to the 150-300k range(so my current total is, like, a miniscule number for me, lol), and never have those issues. Most of the folks I know with higher counts in the 150-300k range don't have those issues either. Anecdotal as it may be, it could also not be the inventory causing the problem as well. If it was her ivnentory causing the problem, LL would have been able to fix it by now. Corrupt inventories can cause all kinds of problems, regardless of the number of items, and the only way to fix it, is for LL to step in.

Some of my current inventory includes a load of boxes from avs that I had in 2004-2006 and 2007. I got bored really easily with sl early on, lol.

Tari, I sure hope your SL isn't a reflection of your RL! If it is, you may have a child or two buried around the house somewhere that you've forgotten. Do you ever hear strange noises in the night?

;-).

Madelaine McMasters wrote:

Tari, 
I sure hope your SL isn't a reflection of your RL! If it is, you may have a child or two buried around the house somewhere that you've forgotten. Do you ever hear strange noises in the night?

;-).

Lmao, nah. I keep my kid count small, it makes remembering how many there are pretty easy. The lil midgets are so easy to lose, you know.  I have them all lojacked, just in case ;)

Actually, my inventory is rather sorted, though to others it may look like utter chaos, it is organized chaos. I have a bad habit of making multiple copies of things I do not need multiple copies of, now and then. I do go through and delete them when I've got a moment to spare. Such as the bajillion and five "objects" that appear at random(because you know I didn't put them there, nuh uh, no way, no how), and the dreaded "new note"s, and such.

71K, just cleaned out about 7K.  

Here since Dec 2007. 

The important thing is to keep any individual folder under 10,000.

Ever cached 300k+ items after a clear? Good luck with that hahah. The actual point is that the higher the number the higher the chance of corruption and fails are. And then it is good luck sorting that all out, lol.

A little over 40K, in over seven and a half years.

I try to keep the root inventory free, and every now and then I ditch duplicate LMs, unpacker scripts and other clutter. I could still drop it by a good 10K if I took a good look at what I use regularly.

I'm at 45K though I am currently working on clearing out old stuff I don't even realize I have, mostly clothes. Had a max in the 80K range, but to be fair I was moving my textures from one organizer to a different system. I've been here 6+ years.

As for your friend. I might suggest, if LL didn't though they usually do, that she clear her cache. That will actually empty out her inventory and force new connections between everything. She may have to do it a couple of times though. You don't have to be logged in to do it. You can get to the preferences just opening the viewer.

geko12 wrote:

My goal is 3K.

Wowza!  I used to be able to stay at 5K, which is my current goal.  3K - I'm impressed!!!!

Czari Zenovka wrote:

geko12 wrote:

My goal is 3K.

Wowza!  I used to be able to stay at 5K, which is my current goal.  3K - I'm impressed!!!!

I first started thinking about the "cost of clutter" a few years ago, after reading articles on the subject. On a visit to Pixar, I got to see the stark contrast between the minimalist decor of Steve Jobs' office, and hoarder's dream that was John Lassiter's. Lassiter was a founder of Pixar and the director of Toy Story. This just confused me, as both men were operating at genius level.

I've come to the conclusion that I'm a clutter bug. This wasn't terribly evident when I was married, as we were still in the accumulation phase of our lives, with an empty house to fill. After my divorce, I moved back home with my parents, and eventually kicked them out of the nest to live on their own. They refused to take all their stuff with them, so I'm stuck dusting it off every other spring.

There will come a day when I can't remember where I've put everything. No wait, that day came and went long ago. I'm tired of buying stuff I know I already have because I can't find it. My solution up 'till now was to buy dozens of those things on sale and spread them everywhere, so I'd never have to look for them again. Now you can't take a step in my house without running into a tape measure, a pencil, a pair of pumps or reading/sun glasses.

But now I can't find bra that doesn't have paint on it. So I'll have to dress like this...

Maddy50

For those who take an interest in such things, my band size is 32 and my cup size is +1 diopter.

2 years my main had 300k, was mostly hold several of his groups builds,  so whole sims worth of crap and he was born in 07.   then this one. she's at 48k.   the main I am doing a purge on friday on my next day off. so he'll be down to only important crap.

I can give you a few tips from an inventory managment class I took in SL.

1. Do a search for pose stands. You only need one.

2. Do a search for thank you. Do you really need all those thank you cards you get?

3. Search animations and toss all those bag holding animations. You can't use them again so toss them.

4. Search scripts and get rid of the give contents and hover text scripts.

5. Move all your landmarks from individual folders to your landmark folder then dump the duplicates.

6. Mesh clothing. What size are you wearing? Do you plan to change the size of your avi? Get rid of the extra sizes or box them up. Then make a box and put all those boxes in boxes marked Clothing, Hair, etc.

7. Do you need your plants and houses right where you can get to them or can you box them up and the pull them out when you need them. If you can, box them up.

8. In your clothing and objects folder, you can check the properties. If it's 2010 or before when you acquired it, toss it. We tend to buy the same kind of thing so you probably have something just like it in your inventory.

9. If you have textures, get an organizer. There are several free ones on the grid. Put your textures in an organizer then delete them out of your inventory or box them up.

Just those few things will clear out at least 5k items if not more.

Been in SL since 2006 and have 128k right now in my inventory. 

Yes, my textures (a bit over 100k now)  are in organizers, I only keep what clothes I wear in folders,  the rest are in boxes, etc. Anything else that I can, I box.

I build sims and have continued to build them since my first one in 2006.  I have copies of all the sims i've built boxed, one sim to a box with boxes inside the box.  I need to keep them because clients invariably lose the copies they get and then call on me when they mess something up to replace it.  I've even had people take sims I've built down then ask me to restore them after time has past.  I guess i could get rid of the very old ones, but keep them for posterity lol.

After I finish the sim i'm building now, i will box up a lot of the things and reduce my inventory by quite a bit, but it will go back up eventually when I build another sim, then i'll repeat the process.

I've never had trouble crashing or noticed any difference in performance from when my inventory was a lot less.  When I clear my cache it takes on the worst days no more than about 15-20 minutes to reload my inventory.  I just log into a empty water sim so it loads faster.

~ 7.5 yrs, ~ 11.5 k items in inventory.

But, a few k of them are links, often to the same actual item, but thats how the appearance tab saves outfits.

Links count 1 each in inventory, just like items.  But do they have the same impact, when trying to rebuild your cache?