New upgraded skin - dark patches showing through

Sierra Leirdrow

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 5164 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Hi, am having a skin problem that might turn out to be a graphics setting issue.  Started out with a free skin for first month, no issues or shadows.  Couple days ago upgraded to a more costly skin from a seller recommended on these forums. Everything looked terrific then dark grey-black patches started showing up on cheeks (giant shadows?) then forehead.  Then last night after trying on belly jewelry the whole body got dark streaks in a major way, almost like the underlying muscles were poking through? more than just a lighting issue!  I took the jewelry off and body streaks went away (yay) but then after a while arm streaks started showing up. If I do "change appearance" the face looks fine while in mode, then when back to regular mode face starts degrading and within a few minutes arms too (night of the living dead!). Have tried various tests.

• Original skin back on works.  It is a thick skin with no shading or highlights or much definition (one uniform color).
  • The new skin paired with the matching vendor demo shape, patches.  Tried 2 other sample shapes, no go.
  • Demo skin from another popular vendor, patches.
  • Take hair and everything off, stand under local lights at home with lights on and preferences set to show local lights, still grey patches.
  • Went to 2 different sims, still patches.
  • Restarted computer.
  • Tried regular SL viewer and Beta viewer.
  • Fiddled with "bit mapping and shiny" "shading" toggles and some of the low-med-high rez settings on the graphics menu with no discernible changes.  I don't think I changed any graphics settings before this leaky skin problem started.

Any suggestions would be appreciated, I really like the look of the new skins and am willing to spend a lot of time on adjusting graphics to get it right

3 answers to this question

Strange problem.  Couple things to check that I can think of.  Go to Prefernces/Graphics and check to see if Hardware Skinning is enabled under Avatar Rendering.  If so, turn it off.   The second is in the same location but in the Hardware Options.  See if Enable VBO is checked and uncheck it as well. See if those help.

--Cinn

clear your caches, for both viewers, and also force each viewer to use a different cache folder than the other one.  if you set new locations for both caches that will itself clear the caches.

post again if the problem persists.  i am also having some issues with graphics in the beta but only on attachments and huds.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 5164 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.