Capturing the Avatar info from a "Web" object

JP Lane

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 5153 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Hello,

Does anyone know if it is possible to capture the avatar name or ID when this avatar is surfing on the web inside an object.

When the avatar touches the object I know it is possible to get this information. But when he is surfing on internet thru an object this still possible? If so what is the command?

thanks a lot,

16 answers to this question

It's a web browser running, streaming the web content directly to your viewer and not going en route via LL. So how should that be possible? It's basically the same as parcel media. So no way to get that data. In fact, this is the least piece of privacy I expect from that feature!

• Like 1

JP.Lane wrote:

Hello,

Does anyone know if it is possible to capture the avatar name or ID when this avatar is surfing on the web inside an object.

When the avatar touches the object I know it is possible to get this information. But when he is surfing on internet thru an object this still possible? If so what is the command?

thanks a lot,

Not a command, a proxy server can do that. Just have to find a way to link the client with the prim with the proxy. Can't be difficult.

• Like 1

Ansariel.Hiller wrote:

And how should the proxy server do that? And why should somebody connect to SL using your proxy (if that's what you meant)?

You can setup a proxy quite easy, then log the session. If you set the starting page of the proxy to some interesting site, perhaps host that too, I'm sure some will click further.

#edit# Talking about HTML on a prim

Message was edited by: Vick Forcella

But this proxy then would capture the avatar name or ID? What I dont understand is if the "web" streammed inside the prim doesnt know who is click how can the proxy log the information about the avatar.

This can be very useful for collaboration or e-learning tools.

JP.Lane wrote:

But this proxy then would capture the avatar name or ID?

Use a touch event or something like that, perhaps a proximity radar. Note the time of the event. Note the starting time of the proxy session. Assume both are the same avatar. So connect the in-world info with the proxy info.

Ansariel.Hiller wrote:

For that kind of implementation you don't need a proxy server. Your web server will get that data already. And also this still won't work if more than one avatar at the same time is using the shared web content.

A normal webhost links to outside websites. As soon as a user click an outside link the connection with the webhost is lost. A proxy is a gateway and stays connected with the user and the outside internet.

It is indeed difficult to handle more then one avatar. For each avatar a new session must be started making it hard to connect the avatar with the logged proxy session.

Yes thats what I wanted to do. A sign-up session so that a avatar has access to a specific content. So that would be possible only with llTextbox or trying the work around suggest by Vick.

Thanks a lot for the insights Ansariel Hiller and Vick Forcella!

And almost at the same time, another avatar touches the object and initiates another session. But bad luck, the order the session on the webserver is reversed because of the different routes taken through the Internet. And voila, big problem! So to be serious: If there is no way to synchronize the order of the clicks and the request on the webserver, it's useless.

The in-world webpage on a face is in-fact client side. The only parts that are streamed are actions done to the page, thus why when you type in a input field it slowly updates on other clients which are also viewing the same prim. If you haven't tried, create a script in php to dump $_SERVER vars and have different users compare the REMOTE_ADDRESS that shows up. They will be different and it will be your IP. This thus proves that it is possible to send client specific variables over each HTTP header, at the discretion of the avatar through some settings panel. Also avatars can override the autoloading feature for webpages. I say, send object as well as agent data over headers, just like a standard LSL http_request sends headers including names, keys, and locations.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 5153 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.