Login Tracking

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3598 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I know there are ways for people to track when your avi logs into SL via your avatar name(a pseudo friends list) but can someone know your IP address( I know this is possible) and be informed whenever that IP address logs into SL?

Hello, yes there where/are ways to get an IP number, for example when you login the music stream ...

But ! the given IP number is not the number of your PC, it is the IP of your Service Provider. Depending on your country and other things that isn´t much information.

The IP number one would get from me is in another district and via air 35 miles/50 km away. And each time my router resets connection i get a new one.

Monti

CoyoteJack wrote:

be informed whenever that IP address logs into SL?

Nope.

There's no way to guarantee that the IP address that's been collected will remain with the targeted account, and no way to test incoming IPs into Second Life.

You might be thinking of online status monitoring, which is possible with only a few lines of LSL script. Without the users IP address, it's possible to tell when a specific, known avatar logs in and out of Second Life with some level of certainty.

I understand how you can get a avis IP address via streaming, voice, sim owner etc.

Also I understand that someone can track when a chosen avi name logs into SL via the avi name.

To try and clarify my question, tho Freya may have answered it; if someone knows my IP address(its static), can they track when that IP address logs into SL.....say Im logging in an alt.

I was clear when I answered the first time:

Nope. IP addresses can't ever confirm alt status. This doesn't stop idiots believing that it does.

Even if IP addresses could be used this way (in some fictional universe, where NAT and other technologies didn't exist), and even if they had Account A's IP address, they could only determine Account B's IP address when it logs in if you logged Account B into a location where IP address scanning happens. It's perfectly possible for you to log in at some scanner-less location, and they'd be completely unaware.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3598 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.