Is Second Life only Role Play?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1020 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Kelli May wrote:

There are other clues. Ginger cats are far more often male than female. Calico and tortoiseshell cats are almost always female. This is down to the way red coloration is expressed on the X-chromosome. 

I didn't know that, but our small sample size lines up. We've had two gingers, both male, and one tortie female (who stole the hearts of every male in the house, feline or otherwise, and who will always be missed).

You were dead-on with the 'faking it' comment, too. :-)

Dillon Levenque wrote:

Kelli May wrote:

There are other clues. Ginger cats are far more often male than female. Calico and tortoiseshell cats are almost always female. This is down to the way red coloration is expressed on the X-chromosome. 

I didn't know that, but our small sample size lines up. We've had two gingers, both male, and one tortie female (who stole the hearts of every male in the house, feline or otherwise, and who will always be missed).

You were dead-on with the 'faking it' comment, too. :-)

Your sample bears out the genetics. It's genetically impossible to have a tortie male cat unless it's XXY which is both very rare and sterile. Female gingers need the gene on both X & Y which can only happen 1 chance in 4 when both parents posses it. 

</sad cat lady>

eta: I 'owned' a tortie queen who was charming, beautiful and petite but as vicious as a mile of rusty razor-wire. Fuss her anywhere above the neck and she would melt. Touch her anywhere else and she'd fasten onto your hand like the world's cutest little bear-trap. She hunted like Bear Grylls on a starvation diet, dragging whole, live, adult rabbits (which outweighed her 2:1 or better) though the catflap to release them squealing and maimed on my living room carpet. Baby rabbits she'd eat on the doorstep outside. And she'd eat everything: skull, eyes, teeth, feet, fur. Everything but the lower intestine. She was a beautiful holocaust of anything that went 'squeak' in the night. 

If they are male, then as far as I understand cat coat genetics, they're either XXY or chimeric . A tortie coat requires the red-tone allele dominant on one X, recessive on the other. Without two X chromosomes, they can only express either red-dominant (ginger) or red-recessive (non-ginger).

The other option is a chimera: an individual merged from two embryos, one male, one female. Ironically this is more likely in cats than XXY. When you throw in the small litter size it seems even more likely. The three cats were, in fact, five cats :)

Kelli May wrote:

If they are male, then as far as I understand cat coat genetics, they're either XXY or chimeric . A tortie coat requires the red-tone allele dominant on one X, recessive on the other. Without two X chromosomes, they can only express either red-dominant (ginger) or red-recessive (non-ginger).

The other option is a chimera: an individual merged from two embryos, one male, one female. Ironically this is more likely in cats than XXY. When you throw in the small litter size it seems even more likely. The three cats were, in fact, five cats
:)

Wild.

All three are manxes but have shown no health problems.

The Mom was very young, only around six months at the time....an indoor cat that got out one night.  (She had never tried to get out nor did she ever try again).

We've noticed an increase in 'stray' manxes in her neighborhood since that time.  A manx Tom must have moved into the neighborhood.

Kelli May wrote:

RobertThorp wrote:

Very true. It is harder to fake gender in RL, but I have known of it being done. I know of one guy (NOT ME!) who met a good looking girl in a bar. One thing let to another, and eventually he found out that she was really a he.

So take everything, particularly SL but also RL with a grain of salt.

No one who passes that well in RL is "faking it".

It depends upon how much the person being deceived had to drink.:matte-motes-big-grin:

Marybeth

WORDPRESS

FACEBOOK

• 7 years later...
On 6/15/2014 at 8:03 PM, sarastip said:

I just joined Second Life today out of curosity. I know that role play is a big part of second life. But is second life only role play? Is everyone on Second Life role playing all of the time or are there places where people are expected to be themselve and not playing someone else?

Second life really has no “enforced identity” areas so asking those uncomfortable and potentially privacy-invasive questions is up to the individual.

Having said that, is there really anywhere on the internet that one can verify another’s details w 100% confidence?

Governments still send information and extend voting privileges to dead people, so this probably has a way to go.

My advice is always that if “real” matters, Facebook might work better than SL.

If you discount all the “alt” accounts on FB of course…

giphy.gif?cid=5e214886798abc9fa545470b0d

Edited by Amanda Crisp

3 hours ago, Amanda Crisp said:

Second life really has no “enforced identity” areas so asking those uncomfortable and potentially privacy-invasive questions is up to the individual.

Having said that, is there really anywhere on the internet that one can verify another’s details w 100% confidence?

Governments still send information and extend voting privileges to dead people, so this probably has a way to go.

Amanda you are replying to Sarastip who hasn't logged in since 2017, my dear.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Amanda Crisp said:

giphy.gif?cid=5e214886798abc9fa545470b0d

Don’t think she’ll answer you anytime soon…

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

Can we just lock these old threads after they have been idle for a certain amount of time.

Seriously.

Why? They are not time sensitive that I can see. Do we really need resident forum police dictating when, where and who is allowed to post what and where? It is getting tiring watching threads get closed down and locked because some wannabe forums mods want to control what goes on in the forums.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Why? They are not time sensitive that I can see. Do we really need resident forum police dictating when, where and who is allowed to post what and where? It is getting tiring watching threads get closed down and locked because some wannabe forums mods want to control what goes on in the forums.

Amanda just accidentally answered a question asked seven years ago by someone who hasn't logged in since 2017. Does that seem like a good use of forum space?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

Amanda just accidentally answered a question asked seven years ago by someone who hasn't logged in since 2017. Does that seem like a good use of forum space?

Well I doubt LL is running out of space for forum responses and in any case, the response just as relevant now as it was then. Who knows, the possibility exists depending on the OP's notification configuration, that she might even come back to take a look and as a result, stay around and log in world. Stranger things have happened.

12 hours ago, Lucia Nightfire said:

Where do they find these threads?

And why should "new" people be allowed to necropost on them?

theworldmayneverknow-idk.gif

Probably just from searching the forums and finding something they feel comfy with that can connect them to the community without jumping in like gangbusters.. hehehe

I'm just guessing about the second part of that..:D

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1020 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.