Has Second Life Changed?

MeljaneW

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3598 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have recently returned to the world of Second Life.

I havn't played since 2007

I have a question to ask...when it comes to clothing creation & skin creation are people still using programs such as Photoshop? or has it all changed to fitted mesh?

as I've noticed in the marketplace alot of adverts avertise fitted mesh

If I choose to design myself some clothes using photoshop will I be laughed at?

hope this all makes sense.

Thank-you

It has changed, in that there is now mesh, as you've come to realize. However, there are plenty of people who still create system clothes, like you've mentioned here, and plenty of people that still buy them.  As long as the work is good quality, few people will laugh at you. Those who choose to..well I have nothing nice to say about folks like that, so I shall say nothing, other than just ignore it ;)

Hello Meljane,

yes Second Life has changed since 2007 in many areas, not just fashion.

Mesh has been around for a few years now and texture quality has increased since then. But not everything has changed to be mesh...and that wouldn't even be possible or useful. Textures are still needed for everything. If you are good at creating textures, then you still have a market. There are also products that are still made with programs such as Photoshop, for example skin, make up and very thight fitting clothes such as lingerie and of course tattoos.

Things that aren't being continued by most creators due to declining demand are those clothes that are made with prim attachments, because often mesh is doing a better job there. Long boots for example or miniskirts.

Seems I started when you quit SL... 2007. (^_^)

Clothing creation, or all creation in general, still has no rules in my point of view.  On any given day, I'll wear an outfit that's made up of default textures, alpha masks, prims, sculpts, and mesh.  What ever looks good, is good.  I don't care how it's made. (^_^)

Yes, mesh and fitted mesh does offer a range and quality which surpasses older methods, but, that's not to say that the older methods still don't have the potential for excellent results. (^_^)

As for being laughed at?  People will laugh anyway. Brush those people off as jerks and do what you think is best.  Don't let jerks spoil your fun. (^_^)y

I'm feeling your pain.  :)  I recently returned, too, and am blogging about that and other things. You left a lot longer ago than I did, though, and it must be even stranger.

I have seen a lot of people still wearing system clothes. I don't know about the methods for making the skins but I do know the quality of skins has greatly improved since the last time I was here when orange seemed to be the rage. Since 2007? Skins will be totally different in looks, if not methods.

As for mesh, I'm not convinced it is such a great thing. At least with glitch pants I could sit down in a skirt without it poofing up and making me invisible. https://sla2z.wordpress.com/2014/06/10/alphas-add-avatars-and-appliers-oh-my/

Syo Emerald wrote:

MajelAuberjonois wrote:

As for mesh, I'm not convinced it is such a great thing. At least with glitch pants I could sit down in a skirt without it poofing up and making me invisible. 

What in the world are "glitch pants"?

Worn under skirts to cover when you move/sit/whatever. They usually cover at least part of the legs and any other body parts you want covered under a skirt.

Until mesh, they were part of all skirts and dresses. Or at least, nearly all.

Tari Landar wrote:

Syo Emerald wrote:

MajelAuberjonois wrote:

As for mesh, I'm not convinced it is such a great thing. At least with glitch pants I could sit down in a skirt without it poofing up and making me invisible. 

Worn under skirts to cover when you move/sit/whatever. They usually cover at least part of the legs and any other body parts you want covered under a skirt.

Oh. I have been in SL since 2010 and never noticed or saw them.

Syo Emerald wrote:

Tari Landar wrote:

Syo Emerald wrote:

MajelAuberjonois wrote:

Oh. I have been in SL since 2010 and never noticed or saw them.

The term "glitch pants" is very SL centric but not every designer uses it.

It refers to a pant or underpant layer colored to match a dress or skirt to hide butt or legs popping through a prim skirt or dress.  Here's an example from the MP of a designer using it.  It's not a 'special layer,' just the way a layer is used.

I don't know who originated the term.  In a big way they serve the same purpose as Alphas.....covering a huge glitch in the way clothes work in SL. 

I'd bet you've seen the term....just never made the association.

That's a very good example of 'glitch pants' lol!

Whenever I think of those pantlayers I think of the horrible way it can go wrong lol. 

Or, old, OLD style skirts where the pantlayer was the waist bit and a few coned prims stuck out like fanblades.

Others have given a good explanation of "glitch pants".

I will add a few points:

"Glitch" referred to a glitch in the technology of making skirt from prims. Sometimes the avi's rear end, leg, or other part would stick through the skirt. To hide this glitch, the avi could wear pants on the pants or underpants layers that was identical to the skirt.

Glitch pants are not necessary on system skirts. For all their other faults, system skirts did not have that glitch, so you could wear regular panties under a skirt. But you should wear something, panties or glitch pants, because it is very easy to "upskirt" a woman on SL. When we sit, the position of the legs is controlled by the script in the seat, so it is not always possible to sit in a "lady like" manner. That is, our knees could be far apart. Also, unlike RL, there is light under our skirt to everything is visible.

In spite of the faults, many of us still wear system skirts. We just have to make sure we adjust the butt size of our avi and wear good looking panties :)

Marybeth

Wordpress

Aeromia wrote:

That's a very good example of 'glitch pants' lol!

Whenever I think of those pantlayers I think of the horrible way it can go wrong lol. 

Or, old, OLD style skirts where the pantlayer was the waist bit and a few coned prims stuck out like fanblades.

When I started SL (2007) I knew several girls who swore by her clothes.  Always had lovely textures.  Personally I think still better than a lot I see being done today.

I don't doubt it. every single bit of layer/mesh/prim has its uses and when done well, it can create stunning effects. Tis why I don't want to throw away the good things I've collected over the years. I can't just restrict myself to one type and toss everything else. 

Aeromia wrote:

I don't doubt it. every single bit of layer/mesh/prim has its uses and when done well, it can create stunning effects. Tis why I don't want to throw away the good things I've collected over the years. I can't just restrict myself to one type and toss everything else. 

Also started in 2007 and although I have just really come back in world after leaving in 2010, I am the same way. I still have most of my clothing, jewelry, etc that I collected throughout, from many many designers, since I tend to shop on looks rather than staying loyal to any particular designer as well. The real exception would be shoes, where I am still a Stilletto Moody groupie to this day and have multiple pairs to this day.

I do it with outfits too, and formalwear. If I like a gown or dress in one color I probably like it in most of the colors it comes in, and I've bought more than one. And with most of my club wear, I do a lot of mixing and matching. Blouses, jeans and whatnot. All the time. It's the whole reason I've gone with a hybrid avie now with rigged mesh head and regular body, so I wouldn't have to clean out my entire existing closet. Because, of course not. No I refuse to!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3598 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.