Are there any free shapes

AlmostDejavuu

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3589 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Two sets I would recommend you at least take a look at. While I wouldn't use shapes from either (for reasons of individuality), both sets teach useful things about SL shapes. 

First up are Penny Patton's Vitruvian Shapes, consisting of a set of realistically proportioned and sized shapes. Even if you don't end up using them, it's a good lesson to see how a realistic shape is constructed and how they look compared to the rest of SL.

Second is the Standard Sizing Package. These conform to the slider values for 'Standard Size' mesh clothing. Again, they are a good-to-know guide for getting mesh to fit your body (or vice-versa).

Beyond that it's down to personal taste, and you'd have to be more specific about what you want. At the very least, do you want a male or female av? Tall, short, skinny, buff, curvy, young or old? A few more details and someone will probably tell you their favourite designer for that style.

Most modifiable shapes start off pretty much the same, there are a handful of different bases. They are then modified to look a certain way and sold. The same shape can be modified a thousand different ways. You can grab free modifiable shapes from most freebie places or look for ones on Marketplace and tweak it to look the way you want. If you don't want to modify it then you can shop around inworld or on marketplace and grab as many free shapes you want and try each one to see which one you like best.

Here is an example of a free shape that I modified twice to have 2 different looks. Done by using the sliders when you go into "edit shape", renamed, & saved. I paired the 2 different shapes with 2 different skins to show how skins look on different shapes. I don't have pics of the full body, but ofcourse you can modify that also.

skinshape1.jpg

Best thing you could probably do for yourself is pick up the standard sizing kit that was already pointed out and then tinker with it. Especially if you want to wear a lot of mesh. That way you won't be going nuts over yourself trying to fit things. That's not to say that you won't find the oddball hip placement that squashes your waist like a boys and bulges out your rearend like no tomorrow but that's what Demos are for! 

I've never bought a shape. My first skin purchases had shapes inside them and when I learned about tinkering I started to individualize my own look. I went from a nearly 8ft tall amazon to a more curvy 5'6 in the last 3 years. I am -still- tinkering with my shape to this day, though not so much anymore, just little things here and there depending on what find I've stumbled across. It surprises me to look through old outfits and shapes that I've tinkered with to see the changes I've wrought on my poor Lumi lol.

Kelli May wrote:

Second is the
. These conform to the slider values for 'Standard Size' mesh clothing. Again, they are a good-to-know guide for getting mesh to fit your body (or vice-versa).

I highly recommend starting with a standard sizes set of shape dials. Its only 9 dials that its particular about. If your shape has 9 (8 for female) dials matching 8 or 9 from ne of the standard sizes - you will have a LOT less headaches later on if you end up buying mesh clothes.

So its a good thing to do, if you're in the starting stage and not yet attached to a look.

Even if you have no interest in any mesh clothes you've seen so far, best to not lock yourself out of what you might see in the future.

The shapes from the standard sizing package have HORRIBLE proportions... But they can be fixed.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3589 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.