Brand New User Rookie Question

Gaaelyin7Ajalon

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3604 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Hope this doesn't sound too elementery but I'm not very social media or computer savvy!

I downloaded the Second Life program which lets me get into the Knowledge Base and other tutorials including being able to post this question.

But I can't access the SLURLs or destinations.  When I click a Destination it says I need to "associate Second Life with a program"

Do I need to download the Second Life Viewer separately from the initial Second Life program?  I thought the Viewer would come with the Program - I just want to make sure before I download something that isn't necessary.

But basically - I can't get past the Welcome Page.

Thanks so much for any help you can give!

Gaaelyin7

4 answers to this question

You're trying to enter Second Life from your browser, aren't you?  Don't do that.  Just find the SL icon on your desktop and double click it to launch the viewer.  (YES, you definitely need to download and install a viewer.  Without a viewer, you can't get into SL, no matter what you do. I'm only slightly confused by your wording, though.  The viewer IS your one and only "initial Second Life program".) The login screen will open, so you can enter your username and password.  Then you're IN.

A SLURL is a peculiar kind of URL.  It only makes sense in the context of SL, which means that you either have to already have your SL viewer running or you have to teach your web browser how to open the viewer.  If you really want to do that, read http://wiki.phoenixviewer.com/slurl_proxy

Otherwise, enter SL the way most of us do -- from the icon on your desktop.

BTW, welcome to SL, Gaaelyn!  :)

• Like 2

Gaaelyin7Ajalon wrote:

Hope this doesn't sound too elementery but I'm not very social media or computer savvy!

I downloaded the Second Life program which lets me get into the Knowledge Base and other tutorials including being able to post this question.

But I
can't access the SLURLs or destinations.
  When I click a Destination it says I need to
"associate Second Life with a program"

Do I need to download the Second Life Viewer separately from the initial Second Life program?

I thought the Viewer would come with the Program - I just want to make sure before I download something that isn't necessary.

But basically - I can't get past the Welcome Page.

Thanks so much for any help you can give!

Gaaelyin7

Yes, in order to do anything in the 3D "world" you need to download a viewer, which will be a standalone program. I'm not exactly sure what you downloaded but it sounds like it's only giving you access to the web services like the forum.

Just to clear things up a little more...

You did not "download the Second Life program."  You created a Second Life ACCOUNT.  That's great, that's Step One.

Now you need to download and install the "viewer," the program that lets you get into the main Second Life world.  Do that at the Download link at the bottom right corner of this very web page!

Once you have installed that, log in by opening the viewer and entering your user name and password.

After you've entered Second Life, you will ALSO be able to use SLURLS to log your avatar in to a specific location right from your web browser...or, if your viewer is already open, the SLURL will pass the teleport offer to your viewer and you can teleport your avatar there.  Your current problem in being unable to use a SLURL arises from the simple fact that your browser is looking for, and not finding, the viewer software.

For a step by step description of what it's like to start Second Life, see this blog post: http://acrossthegridwithlindal.blogspot.com/2014/04/getting-started-in-second-lifean-update.html

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3604 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.