"Scripts Run" killing me :(

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3603 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Aloha,

since 2 - 3 mth I have a problem with sailing in SL. My gestures (used for trimming the sails) often don't work. I gotta hit the corresponding F-key repeatedly until something happens. But my stats are quite ok, I don't suffer any lag or anything out of the ordinary. It's just that my boats won't accept gestures anymore. I tested my connection (all ok), re-installed Linux and Singularity fresh, my PC is clean and healthy.

So wtf is causing my gestures to not work? Yesterday I found on closer inspection that "Scripts Run" in stats window (ctrl-shift-1) is almost always on 100%, never lower than 99.6%. Can that be the cause of the problem? And how do I get rid of it/fix it??? In the example photo I just took, I'm in an almost empty and unlaggy Premium sandbox and have nothing on myself but an AO and the Pharrel Happy Dance. So I guess it can't be my avi.

Oh, and I also tested Firestorm viewer ... same problem there.:smileysad:

happy_002.jpg

100% scripts run??? OMG!!! Help please ... HELP!!!

Before you ask here's my system info:

Singularity Viewer (64 bit) 1.8.5 (5846) May 16 2014 04:35:39 (Singularity Alpha)
Release Notes

Grid: Second Life

Built with GCC version 40405

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU         650  @ 3.20GHz (1197 MHz)
Memory: 7920 MB
OS Version: Linux 3.14.7-1-MANJARO #1 SMP PREEMPT Thu Jun 12 06:45:07 UTC 2014 x86_64
Graphics Card Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
Graphics Card: GeForce GTX 260/PCIe/SSE2
OpenGL Version: 3.3.0 NVIDIA 331.79
RLV v2.8.0 / RLVa v1.4.10a

Viewer SSE Version: SSE2
libcurl Version: libcurl/7.24.0 OpenSSL/1.0.0g zlib/1.2.6 c-ares/1.7.5 libidn/1.28
J2C Decoder Version: OpenJPEG: 1.5.2
Audio Driver Version: (none)
Qt Webkit Version: 4.7.1 (version number hard-coded)

Orca Flotta wrote:

Aloha,

since 2 - 3 mth I have a problem with sailing in SL. My gestures (used for trimming the sails) often don't work. I gotta hit the corresponding F-key repeatedly until something happens. But my stats are quite ok, I don't suffer any lag or anything out of the ordinary. It's just that my boats won't accept gestures anymore. I tested my connection (all ok), re-installed Linux and Singularity fresh, my PC is clean and healthy.

So wtf is causing my gestures to not work? Yesterday I found on closer inspection that "Scripts Run" in stats window (ctrl-shift-1) is almost always on 100%, never lower than 99.6%. Can that be the cause of the problem? And how do I get rid of it/fix it??? In the example photo I just took, I'm in an almost empty and unlaggy Premium sandbox and have nothing on myself but an AO and the Pharrel Happy Dance. So I guess it can't be my avi.

Oh, and I also tested Firestorm viewer ... same problem there.:smileysad:

100% scripts run??? OMG!!! Help please ... HELP!!!

</snip>

Scripts Run %

This is a new stat in the Viewer Statistics panel. Kelly Linden says this reports what percent of scripts are getting a chance to run each frame. 100% means all scripts got a chance. 90% means 90% got a chance. That doesn’t mean they actually ran. They may be waiting for an event. But they did get to check if the event fired.

http://blog.nalates.net/2012/09/18/sl-news-week-38/

I'm not sure something else to suggest but you are looking at a SIM stat....and for this stat 100% is a good thing.

eta:clarity

@ Perrie: thanks, good to know. I thought it meant scripts are taking 100% of the time, leaving no time for other stuff to run.

@ Arton: no, I guess not. I took extra care not to have any F-keys assigned to any of my "party gestures". And when I'm sailing I deactive them anyway and only have one set of racing gestures activated. It always worked great until ~3 mths ago.

So, what can it be? Connection maybe?

Orca Flotta wrote:

@ Perrie: thanks, good to know. I thought it meant scripts are taking 100% of the time, leaving no time for other stuff to run.

@ Arton: no, I guess not. I took extra care not to have any F-keys assigned to any of my "party gestures". And when I'm sailing I deactive them anyway and only have one set of racing gestures activated. It always worked great until ~3 mths ago.

So, what can it be? Connection maybe?

I know this is a bit of a generalization, but Scripts are the last thing to run, in the SIMs 'spare time.'  So when a SIM has no Spare Time left a script can take forever.  That's kind of the general principle.

What little info I've ever seen on Gestures not working said connection problems.

Gestures can get 'corrupted' but that usually causes a log in problem.  You land at 10,10,10 when you log in.  That's when I learned about it...helping a friend a while back with odd log in problem.

It appears to be almost no info on Gesture problems unless there's some JIRA's.

You say "when a sim has no spare time ...". Hm, that can't be the reason in my case since the whole fleet seems to have no problems running all the scripts. Only little Orcsi fails. :smileysad: Just a couple days ago it happened in a very unfortunate moment: Orca was leading the pack (ya, she's not a bad racer) and reaches the last marker. From there on it's all downwind into the finish. So gesture: +55, spin up and swoosh, yay another win .... Only it didn't happen, Orca was like glued to the spot and watched helplessly as all the other passed her on speed. :smileymad:

Anyhoo I guess it must be my connection. ISP gave me a test account, I did some speed tests local and international and also a traceroute. Looked pretty normal but in world everything goes a bit better now. Not 100% tho, but getting there.

Thx for your help

Orca Flotta wrote:

You say "when a sim has no spare time ...". Hm, that can't be the reason in my case since the whole fleet seems to have no problems running all the scripts. Only little Orcsi fails. :smileysad: Just a couple days ago it happened in a very unfortunate moment: Orca was leading the pack (ya, she's not a bad racer) and reaches the last marker. From there on it's all downwind into the finish. So gesture: +55, spin up and swoosh, yay another win .... Only it didn't happen, Orca was like glued to the spot and watched helplessly as all the other passed her on speed. :smileymad:

Anyhoo I guess it must be my connection. ISP gave me a test account, I did some speed tests local and international and also a traceroute. Looked pretty normal but in world everything goes a bit better now. Not 100% tho, but getting there.

Thx for your help

Because of your RL location you could be getting caught a little by longer ping times.

But even in the U.S. I get caught when I'm sailing.....stuff just fails for no apparent reason.  I'll be sailing along at 10 or 12 knots and poof, I'm dead in the water.  I sail a Trudeau.

One question here..are you hardwired or wireless?  When your racing, I could imagine a modem starting to bottleneck because of all the object updates being sent.  Is just a thought.  I'm certainly no expert on the subject.

irihapeti wrote:

keyboard ?

That actually may not be a crazy idea.

I did actually have a mouse driver conflict with SL once.

Left click on a button in a HUD equalled insta-crash.  On a whim one day I reversed my buttons and the problem went away.  If I switched back, boom, crash.

Mice from other manufacturers had no trouble.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3603 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.