How do I delete multiple accounts and start again?

TuringTank

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3602 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I played 2nd life 4+ years ago, and was interested to try it again,, see what's changed/improved.

It has been a total disaster in terms of customer experience. 

It would have been easier to attempt to get a PhD in neurologcal astro-physics and a class A certification in Brazillian line dancing than it would be to get a new user account with Linden Labs Second Life.

New accounts won't work because there was some relation to an old account, which you made no attempt to clarify.  I finally established a new account, under duress, and find it doesn't work as per your rules.

Some dude in 2nd world tells me there's the problem,, you have more than one account..

But I don't activally want more than one account.  I just want one account that actually works!

I try to look youronline Help,,, what a joke!

Llike most wimp-willed, cheapskate, non-caring software companies,, yourefer me to an internet Chat Forum!  If that's not abducation of responsiplity I don't know whta is.

Pick your game up guys,, learn the art of caring for the customer,, if you don't, then your dead wihin a short space of time.

DF

2 answers to this question

There are no Lindens here and they never look at this resident-to-resident Answers site, so your rant is falling on deaf ears. We're all SL residents like you.

There's nothing wrong with having more than one SL account.  Many (most) of us do.  Alts are useful for a lot of purposes.  The only restriction is that you are not supposed to have more than 5 accounts registered from the same IP address, but it's not clear that Linden Lab enforces that rule (or can) very well.  The age of an account also makes no difference.  I have been in SL with this account since early 2007, and I have many friends with older accounts.  Almost all of us also have newer alts. So "some dude" who told you that "new accounts won't work because there was some relation to an old account" doesn't know what he's talking about.

Now, if you'd like to explain the problem that you are having with your new account, just take a deep breath.  Perhaps we can help.  If you want to provide extra information or need to clarify your question, click on the Options link in the upper right corner of your question and select EDIT. Please do not start a new thread. Doing that makes it hard for us to see what other people have already suggested, and it pushes other residents' questions off the page.

• Like 1

Hi there, Ranter Tank!  You've reached the Resdent Answers forum.  This is one sort of "online help," but we are just residents like yourself here.  We are not to blame for The System, nor can we fix things for you.  We can only offer advice.

I understand your frustration, and not only that but unless there's something you aren't telling us or have not made clear, you have been given bad advice.  That's probably because you called Billing, which is the only "phone support" LL offers...and Billing can't do much except deal with payment issues.

By "online help", the person you spoke with meant "file a Support Case, using the Help menu on this web site."

But before you rush off to do that, let me give you a few more tidbits...

First, there is NOTHING wrong with having multiple accounts.  You can have up to five accounts per email address

If you have an old account, and it was Premium, it's possible you owe money...maybe a great deal of money...in the form of several years worth of Premium dues and/or land fees.  However, this is unlikely.  An unused Premium account is kept on the books and current as long as payments keep being made (and if your credit card is still on file, payments WILL be made automatically until the card expires.)  When a Premium account is past due, it's deleted by LL.

What is more likely is that you had a Basic free account.  These are kept alive forever.  Go away for a year or four, and come back to pick up where you left off...or nearly.  You have to remember the password.  If you don't, it's easy to recover, if you still have the email address associated with that account.  If you don't, and don't know the answer to your "secret question", the process is longer...you have to file a Support Case, and provide positive proof of your identity, such as a copy of your drivers license or birth certificate.

You will also have to download and install an updated viewer.  A viewer program that's several years old will not work with today's Second Life.  You may want to use one of the many third party viewers, as some of them have an interface that may be more like what you were used to.

You SHOULD be able to simply go through the sign up and registration process and create a new account and avatar.  I show this step by step here:  http://acrossthegridwithlindal.blogspot.com/2014/04/getting-started-in-second-lifean-update.html

If you wish to delete one or more accounts, go here:  https://secondlife.com/my/account/cancel.php

But you MUST have gotten at least one account up and running, because otherwise you could not be signed in here as "TuringTank."  Any other problems you are having will be due to your viewer, your computer, or your internet connection, not your account per se.

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3602 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.