I just signed up with SL, how do I change skins from this mesh skin to a classic skin?

hockeylips

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3602 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I just purchased a 'classic skin' for my avatar to replace the standard avatar you get to choose when joining, this avatar is mesh, I BOUGHT a classic skin but it will not apply........help!   :)    

ty.

But HOW do I detach from a mesh skin in order to wear a standard skin in my inventory??? ty.

5 answers to this question

It sounds like you chosed one of the new mesh starter avatars and are now trying to wear a freebie skin you brought from a store. To make it short: That will never work.

All skins you can find are made for the original (old) standart avatar and won't work with the mesh starter avatars. In order to wear your skin, you must change to the standart avatar and detach what you have from the mesh one you are currently using. But don't panic, you have all possible starter avatars already in your inventory, from which the majority isn't mesh.

That's right.  The new mesh avatars will not accept a "classic" skin.  That was an unfortunate move on Linden Lab's part. You will need to use a normal avatar if you want to do that.   There are many in your Libary folder at the bottom of your inventory.  You can use any purchased skin in world on them.

A classic skin won`t be visible if you apply it to any of the standard avatars as mesh avatars and classic avatars work differently. You can choose a classic avatar from your inventory and apply the skin that you bought to any of those.

If you look in inventory>library>clothing and drag any of those folders (which are classic avatars) onto your avatar you will then wear the contents of that folder. You can the wear the skin that you bought by findinng it in inventory and selecting "wear" or double clicking it.

There`s quite a few threads in the "your avatar" section of the forums that explain the difficulties of modifying the new standard (mesh) avatars to get a more unique looking avatar.

Good luck :smileyhappy:

hockeylips wrote:

[ ... ]

But HOW do I detach from a mesh skin in order to wear a standard skin in my inventory??? ty.

You don't.  As I explained, you go to your inventory's Library folder and select a completely different avatar.  Junk the new "mesh" one that you started with and use a regular one.  All normal avatars in SL are built from the same basic model, using the same UV map.  It's the UV map that determines how any texture (skin, system clothing, .... ) is applied to the avatar.  The new avatars use a different mesh model with their own UV map.  When you try to apply a normal skin to a new-style avatar, therefore, the skin's texture does not match the avatar's UV map.  The analogy isn't perfect, but this is something like what happens if you find a great new app for your iPhone and a friend wants to use it on her Android phone.  No way is it going to work.

Without going backwards to 11 year old type Avatars.. why not stay mesh and learn it ?
Granted there is not the quantity of mesh items but they are around and most of the sliders in appearence work. Hair and many accessories load and are wearable, there are new fashions being released by the hour in mesh. You'll need an applier for compatable skins however you can customize by using the other Linden Avatars. Use outfits and Mesh or Vintage as you see fit.
Modify and Learn before you take the easy out :matte-motes-asleep:

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3602 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.