Sign in to follow this  
Bo Rossen

How do I get rid of the new empty system folders?

Question

Hi Bo,

I suspect you will have to reset your user settings so move your Settings files to a temporary directory then restart SL, which will set up new default settings. Hopefully that will solve your problem.

If you are logged in you can find the location from Preferences > Communication > Change Path or else:

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/User_settings

Nyll

Message was edited by: Nyll Bergbahn....oh you're on Emerald so use the Prefs/Comm link to find them if you don't know where they are.

10 answers to this question

Hi Bo,

I suspect you will have to reset your user settings so move your Settings files to a temporary directory then restart SL, which will set up new default settings. Hopefully that will solve your problem.

If you are logged in you can find the location from Preferences > Communication > Change Path or else:

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/User_settings

Nyll

Message was edited by: Nyll Bergbahn....oh you're on Emerald so use the Prefs/Comm link to find them if you don't know where they are.

You can't remove them. According to another resident in the Viewer 2.0 forums who asked LL via live chat, there is currently no way to get rid of them.

Nyll,

I'm afraid it's slightly more complicated than that.

Until today I have been running W7 RC, and was obviously being nagged at by the fact that the RC expires in a couple of days.

So today (actually an hour or so ago) I installed the release version of W7 and have a fresh new installation of both Windows and the viewer on a brand new 2TB hdd. It was actually after the entire installation that I logged in, and noticed the folders there.

So I'm pretty certain that the user settings have very little to do with it

You can't remove them. According to another resident in the Viewer 2.0 forums who asked LL via live chat, there is currently no way to get rid of them.

Great

I was already afraid of this.

Here's my final feedback on the new beta: THIS IS A BUG!

Wow! I won't be trying the new Beta viewer then.

Yeah... you're better off waiting for the third party developers to implement the actual good features (the new skin layers for instance), as these improvements make sense LOL

So now we know why some people like to uninstall the viewer - for instance to get rid of the folders - and how they get punished for it by losing all their other data like chatlogs as well. Great. Good thinking ------------------------ NOT.

I just wonder what happens to those who have not uninstalled yet but will want to in future when the 2.0 is passed the beta phase. Do we have to keep this beta one in our comp till the end of time for keeping all our sl data?

https://blogs.secondlife.com/thread/11570

http://jira.secondlife.com/browse/VWR-13124

Well as I already noticed for myself, uninstalling the beta doesn't remove the new inventory system folders.

And as far as the chatlogs and stored settings stuff? So far any viewer I have installed, will delete these files upon uninstall!

I have tested this with:

• official SL client
  • snowglobe client
  • emerald
  • kirstens
  • snowglobe frequency
  • beta 2.0

I suspect the remaining viewer installers will do the same thing. But then, this is a feature from the installer/uninstaller, and not from the client itself!

However, it should be asking wether you want to delete these files beforehand, instead of just going ahead and deleting everything.

The only thing I can suggest atm is to make a backup of your profile directory before uninstalling any client (including the beta).