Can't Open Viewer 2.0 Beta on Mac G5

Drew Ranica

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 5167 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I just downloaded Second Life Viewer 2.0.0.202174 Beta for Mac OS X and, when I tried to launch it on my Mac G5, received the message, "You cannot open the application “Second Life Beta Viewer” because it is not supported on this architecture."  I am flummoxed for two reasons:  1)  the Viewer 2 download page states that the system requirements are the same as for version 1.23, and 2) I am successfully running Viewer version 1.23.5.136262 (the latest version) on the above mentioned G5 (which meets or exceeds the minimum requirements listed on the System Requirements web page).  Any thoughts?

4 answers to this question

Hi Drew, I encountered the same problem. On closer inspection of the release notes I found that the new version is only supported on Intel, not IBM CPUs. I suspect you are running a Power PC as I do. Makes no difference what other specs meet the listed criteria or what OS you're running: I'm running 10.5.8, it's a no go for us I'm afraid  I thought it might work in another environment, I tried X11 but it didn't work.

Perhaps some one else has a solution for us.

• Like 1

Hi Ryker, Thanks for taking the time to respond to my question. The G5 is a Power PC based computer.

I was just inspecting the 'Get Info' information on the Viewer 2.0 app (which clearly shows that it is, in fact, an Intel only application) when your, and Tiger's, response arrived, almost simultaneously.  I suppose I'll just have to resign myself to the fact that I'm using antiquated technology. I certainly don't have the $'s, L or US, for a new machine.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 5167 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.