White chat from HUD

Rubberene

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2917 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have noticed HUDs on the Marketplace that say they have the option to post pre-written sentences, etc, in local chat, but in white text so it looks as if an avatar has said them.

Example

I would like to script something similar, but I have no idea how an object can be scripted to speak as though the avatar is talking, in white text. Is it RLV? Gestures? Voodoo?

If anyone can tell me, I would be grateful.

It's NOT the sender of a message that sets the color - the receiver sets it.

The receiver is your viewer and your viewer knows if the message comes from an avatar or object. There is no way to hide that. Then the viewer will use the color that is defined in the settings. (green only for those who didn't change that)

So a hud's message is ALWAYS object-chat.

If you want to make it to avatar-chat the hud can IM you the message and you have to copy and paste it to the chat line. Then it is avatar-chat.

the HUD probably pushes the text into a dialog. the button text is limited to 24 bytes, but it will appear exactly as if it came from the chat bar. (the product description only promises a shout option only for "green" text. the restriction is consistent with a dialog, which can only use "say" distance.)

• 1 year later...

Hi hope its ok to revive this discussion.  I have seen a white text HUD generator, theres several on the mp like this one :

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/eMotive-Formal-Greeter-HUD-aka-White-Text-Host-DJ-Dancer-Buddy-Greeting-Assistant/3997978

I am trying to grasp the use of lldialog to create a similar white text HUD. It does'nt have to be clever. I appreciate it cannot go beyond 12 or 24 or maybe even just 8 characters. But there is only 5 letters in 'the word 'hello' so it would still be very useful. I dont need a heap of phrases either. Just a simple white hello. Is that so much to ask ? lol

So how to get a dialog button description to be said in local chat. Any clues please ?  xD

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2917 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.