Sign in to follow this  
Zell Darkrose

Anything to help with FPS on GMA 950?

Question

9 answers to this question

I will have to give that a shot.

I would love to be able to play, this seems like such a great game.  If all else fails, I could probably go out and purchase a new graphics card.  Something a little bit better.

My GMA 950 is on a desktop, rather than a laptop, so the upgrading graphics card option is still avaliable for me.

That's probably your best long-term solution.  You can make it work now to see how you like SL, but you will not be getting the full graphic impact.  I went from using a laptop with a GMA 915 chipset to using a much more powerful GTX 260m, and the difference was night and day.  Even a mid-range discrete card will add reflections, cloud effects, and water effects that you won't see with an integrated graphics solution.  If you decide to stay with SL, you should upgrade to get the full effects, and to help reduce the impact on your motherboard.

I would deffinatly look at getting a discrete card.  Forgive my laziness for not looking up your m/b but since it has a P4, I'd assume it has a AGP and not a PCI-e?  I have a pc repair business as a side/basement job and really hessitate for people with older systems to invest much money into them.    I have a P4 HT with a 7300GT that does ok.  I'd be better off with a 7800 or 8800 ( think thats the highest for AGP?)  I get around...15-18 FPS on my P4 machine.

I'd check around at prices because these are old systems and you may see a good deal on a second hand card (eBay). 

Myself, I halted any upgrades to my machine untill I can build a new one.  But times are tough and I get by with what I can.  I hope my input helps some.  I'm not a pro but help out when I can.

• Like 1

Hmmm, seems to be more problems then just the GPU card. Looks like it's time for a new system if you want to run SL. RAMs low, 2 GBs would be better, a new card, the CPU is iffy (do not use the net while your using it.). A new card might require a power supply up grade. By the way, the minimum requirement are no where near the best requirements for using SL. If you up grade that PC the cost might be more then a new PC.

For instance (example only, shop around):

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883147067

No, it has PCI and PCI-e slots.   It's not so much that it is old as that it is cheap.

I myself am a computer repair guy.  I do wish that it did have an AGP slot for me to work with, I have a lot of random AGP graphics cards lying around.  Shouldn't be too expensive to get a new graphics card.

I do also have an old Alienware computer.  If I could find a way to proxy all of it's connections through the Linux computer I could use that one instead.

Thanks for the help everyone.  I appreciate your efforts.

For those curious here is my setup:

KVM Switch:

Computer 1: Cheap P4 Compaq Presario.  Running Ubuntu Linux, has connection to the Internet.

Computer 2: Old Alienware computer.  Running Windows 7, is not connected to the Internet, is connected via Cross-over cable to computer 1.

Actually.  I found a solution.  I set up IPv4 Passthrough on my Linux machine, then just used it as a router for the Windows box.  This arrangement has worked out nicely thus far, and allows me to play my other online games as well.