Sign in to follow this  
ChaosRaine

Trying to alter scripts with notecards

I have the idea down on how to let somebody change a nonmodify script using the object discription, but I can seem to master using note cards. I did something like this        gUUID = llList2String(llGetObjectDetails(llGetKey(), ([OBJECT_DESC])), 0); to get a uuid number from the objects discription for example. How would I alter that to get a uuid from a notecard. I will admit I am a very uneducated about this so if somebody could just send me to some good reading material on the subject that would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Yeah so for a simple example I have a hover text script

default{    state_entry()    {        llSetText("Hello there",<1.0, 1.0, 1.0>,1.0);    }}

and lets say I want somebody to be able to change the text, color, and transparency from a notecard I'm coming up with something like this

key notecardQueryId;string notecardName = "Text";integer notecardLine;default{    state_entry()    {        // Check the notecard exists, and has been saved        if (llGetInventoryKey(notecardName) == NULL_KEY)        {            llOwnerSay( "Notecard '" + notecardName + "' missing or unwritten");            return;        }        // say("reading notecard named '" + notecardName + "'.");        notecardQueryId = llGetNotecardLine(notecardName, notecardLine);    }     dataserver(key query_id, string data)    {        if (query_id == notecardQueryId)        {            if (data == EOF)        llSetText((notecardLine, 0), <1.0, 1.0, 1.0>, 1.0);    }}}

I'm still have trouble working this out based on the examples on wiki

Ok so far I have something working to get the text to read

key notecardQueryId;string notecardName = "Text"; // script-wise, the first notecard line is line 0, the second line is line 1, etc.integer notecardLine; say(string inputString){    llOwnerSay(inputString);} default{    state_entry()    {        // Check the notecard exists, and has been saved        if (llGetInventoryKey(notecardName) == NULL_KEY)        {            llOwnerSay( "Notecard '" + notecardName + "' missing or unwritten");            return;        }        // say("reading notecard named '" + notecardName + "'.");        notecardQueryId = llGetNotecardLine(notecardName, notecardLine);    }     dataserver(key query_id, string data)    {        if (query_id == notecardQueryId)        {              //  ++notecardLine;                llSetText(data,<1.0, 0.0, 0.0>, 1.0);            }        }} 

Now I'm trying to figure out how to get it to add more cards or lines. I would prefure to use the same card with more lines to get the color and transparency, but I'm not stuck on it.

Here is a more versatile, easy to use version.

key notecardQueryId;string notecardName = "Text";integer notecardLine;string gsText;vector gvColor;float gfAlpha;default{    state_entry()    {        // Check the notecard exists, and has been saved        if (llGetInventoryKey(notecardName) == NULL_KEY)        {            llOwnerSay( "Notecard '" + notecardName + "' missing or unwritten");            return;        }        // say("reading notecard named '" + notecardName + "'.");        notecardQueryId = llGetNotecardLine(notecardName, notecardLine);    }     dataserver(key query_id, string data)    {                list lTemp;        string sName;        string sValue;                    if (query_id == notecardQueryId)        {            if (data != EOF)             {       // Checking for comment lines, and empty lines.                if (llStringTrim(llGetSubString(data, 0,1), STRING_TRIM) != "//" && llStringTrim(data, STRING_TRIM) != "")                {                     lTemp = llParseString2List(data, ["="], []); // Parse the data string into a list, seperated by '='                    sName = llStringTrim(llList2String(lTemp, 0), STRING_TRIM); // the name of the name=value pair                    sValue = llStringTrim(llList2String(lTemp, 1), STRING_TRIM); // the value of the name=value pair                                        if (llToLower(sName) == "text") {                        gsText = sValue;                    }                    else if (llToLower(sName) == "color") {                        gvColor = (vector)sValue;// typecasting to vector                    }                    else if (llToLower(sName) == "alpha") {                        gfAlpha = (float)sValue;// typecasting to float                    }                }                notecardQueryId = llGetNotecardLine(notecardName, ++notecardLine); // proceed to next notecard line            }            else {// We are at the end of the file                llSetText(gsText, gvColor, gfAlpha);                llOwnerSay("Done!");            }        }    }}

The NC would look like this:

// Comment lines start with //// Separate name value pairs with a equals sign "="
Text = Hello, World!Color = <1,0,0>Alpha = 1.0

• Like 1

It should indeed read "&&" and not "||" in:

if (llStringTrim(llGetSubString(data, 0,1), STRING_TRIM) != "//" && llStringTrim(data, STRING_TRIM) != "")

Corrected it in the post above.

To make it even more practical, you maybe want to add a changed(integer change) event, to automatically catch everytime the notecard is re-saved in the object.

This would look like this:

changed(integer change) {    // Resets the script everytime the objects inventory changed.    if (change & CHANGED_INVENTORY) {        llResetScript();     }}

Ok I was playing with this one a little and I notice that I can add more lines with \n it just puts it in the text. I have to imagine I am missing something stupid at this point or is it not going to work the same with the notecard format?

Try this:

if (llToLower(sName) == "text") {     gsText = llDumpList2String(llParseString2List(sValue, ["\\n"], []), "\n"); }