How can I find out the IP-address of another AV?

Doris Haller

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 167 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

The only way to get IP addresses of other avatars is if you own a stream, set that stream as parcel media and another avatar listens to that stream. The stream is not routed through SL, but the viewer connects directly to the server at the given URL and streams the media. You as stream owner could then obtain the IP addresses of your listeners. But still this doesn't give you a connection to a certain avatar - unless it's only one who's listening.

• Like 2

You *can* do it, sort of.

If you run your own audio stream and place it on your land AND the person is on your land AND is the only one listening to the stream it is possible to see the IP of the computer connecting to your stream and guess that the IP is probably theirs.

Is it foolproof? No. You don't know for sure if that is the person listening.

Is it against the TOS? No. You aren't hacking anything to find it.

What can you do with that info? Not much.

The others are correct that it doesn't give you any personal information on the individual. All it does at most it give you a general idea of what area of the world they are located. IP switching and spoofing is so easy anyway it's pointless to go through all that effort.

• Like 1

Hi Doris,

No it's not possible. I recall this topic coming up in another thread a while back and the computer geeks said no.

Even with an IP address you can only get the general area and not a precise location. To prove their point some were giving out their IP addresses openly on the thread.

Nyll

Message was edited by: Nyll Bergbahn...actually I think the thread I read was in the old forum.

QFT

also, just for informational purposes, you could try a WHOIS on the IP you found with the media stream exploit mentioned elsewhere in this thread, but even at that point it's fairly pointless since the WHOIS will return information about the person's ISP (internet service provider) who hopefully are forbidden giving any personally identifiable information about who was using that IP at that given time, unless a law is broken.

also, most routers act as a hardware firewall, for the most part, this means that unless a computer behind that firewall requested the data from the IP requesting data of an IP the router manages it will be ignored.

in other words, most routers block all connection attempts not initiated either by them, or by a computer behind them.

when you use your web browser to surf the internet, you are initiating those connections and as such the router doesn't ignore them, this goes for most internet using applications also.

• Like 1

Thank you all for your help.

I understand that it is only possible if the AV is the only one in the parcel (beside myself) and is listening to the music or watching the video stream.

If it is against the TOS or not is not important as people who would do that don't give a fillintheblank on that. Also, the TOS are poorly enforced IMHO, but that's another topic.

Seems that even if you know the IP-address, you still don't know the exact location of the AV's driver, but at least you get close.

Once again, thanks to all.

How do I close this?

Itazura.Radio wrote:

Is it against the TOS? No. You aren't hacking anything to find it.

There are a lot of things not allowed without hacking anything.

http://secondlife.com/corporate/cs.php

And even if someone would tell you themselves:

Disclosure

Residents are entitled to a reasonable level of privacy with regard to their Second Life experience. Sharing personal information about a fellow Resident --including gender, religion, age, marital status, race, sexual preference, and real-world location beyond what is provided by the Resident in the First Life page of their Resident profile is a violation of that Resident's privacy. Remotely monitoring conversations, posting conversation logs, or sharing conversation logs without consent are all prohibited in Second Life and on the Second Life Forums.

It's interesting that some of you equate *obtaining info* with *sharing info*.  They are two different things.

Using a media stream to find out someone's IP# is not against TOS.  *Obtaining* this data is not against TOS!  *Sharing* the info with others IS against TOS.

Knowing someone's IP isn't much use these days as many ISPs change your IP frequently.  If you're PC is vulnerable, YOU are the problem, not the fact that they know your IP.

• Like 1

Using a media stream to find out someone's IP# is not against TOS.  *Obtaining* this data is not against TOS!  *Sharing* the info with others IS against TOS.

I sugest you check the new TOS.  There is a specific mention on data collection without consent.  So it is against TOS to collect and store peoples IP addresses.

The relivant section is 8.3

8.3     You agree that you will not post or transmit Content or code  that may be harmful, impede other users' functionality, invade other  users' privacy, or surreptitiously or negatively impact any system or  network.

You agree to respect both the integrity of the Service and the  privacy of other users.  You will not:

(i)     Post or transmit viruses, Trojan horses, worms, spyware, time  bombs, cancelbots, or other computer programming routines that may harm  the Service or interests or rights of other users, or that may harvest  or collect any data or personal information about other users without  their consent;

Scruffy

You're wrong.  Here's your interpretation of the TOS:

You agree that you will not post or transmit Content or code that may harvest  or collect any data or personal information about other users without  their consent;

According to your interpretation, no one should post media streams at all since IP#s are obtained automatically by them.

SimonT.Quinnell wrote:

I sugest you check the new TOS.  There is a specific mention on data collection without consent.  So it is against TOS to collect and store peoples IP addresses.

The relivant section is 8.3

8.3     You agree that you will not post or transmit Content or code  that may be harmful, impede other users' functionality, invade other  users' privacy, or surreptitiously or negatively impact any system or  network.

You agree to respect both the integrity of the Service and the  privacy of other users.  You will not:

(i)     Post or transmit viruses, Trojan horses, worms, spyware, time  bombs, cancelbots, or other computer programming routines that may harm  the Service or interests or rights of other users, or that may harvest  or collect any data or personal information about other users without  their consent;

Scruffy

i would still debate that obtaining it is legal as long as you don't write it down.   if that isn't the case, being a DJ is now against ToS.

Frankly you should not be provided an answer to this question. It's none of your business.

Message was edited by: Faubio.Alter ................. an IP address can locate a person in RL. Repeat ....................... Frankly you (we) should not be provided an answer to this question.

1. Don't fret over the fact that your IP# isn't really a secret

2. Don't broadcast your IP#

Eternus.Soulstar wrote:

Scruffy

i would still debate that obtaining it is legal as long as you don't write it down.   if that isn't the case, being a DJ is now against ToS.

Scruffy, if someone ABUSES your IP address and LL decides on their own that the evidince suggest abuse, then that's LLs call because the abuse might be against the TOS.

BUT, theres no way you would even know someone has OBTAINED your IP address unless they reveal it somehow.  Unless you're Psychic Scruffy. You have to provide REAL evidence that someone is obtaining your IP#.  Even if it is occuring, you're going to lose a lot of sleep over proving this.

Got any great new idea that will make IP addresses obsolete?  You'll be a billionaire if you protect your idea before its COPIED.

Faubio.Alter schrieb:

Frankly you should not be provided an answer to this question. It's none of your business.

I hoped the answer to my question would have been that it is not possible, because I don't want someone to find out my ip number. But that is none of your business.

Looks as if I avoid using media streams (which I rarely use), I can inhibit it.

Does this change with viewer 2.0? I heard it can display websites on prims, can these websites find out my ip or do something harmful to my computer?

• Like 1

Doris.Haller wrote:

Does this change with viewer 2.0? I heard it can display websites on prims, can these websites find out my ip or do something harmful to my computer?

There are major security issues in Viewer 2.0 that have NOT been resolved. Web on a prim does have many issues... just think about the passage of passwords, say you want to do online banking....

As for finding IP addresses in viewer 2.0, that, from what I understand, is resoundingly easy with a script... and many have indeed posted on just such a thing in these fora.

Doris,

as long as you don't interact with that prim (ie using the website on the prim) it can not connect to your computer and therefore just by looking at it nothing could be happening. Using a website will give that website your IPaddress, otherwise it could not send any information back for you to view.

Linda.Spargel schrieb:

Doris,

as long as you don't interact with that prim (ie using the website on the prim) it can not connect to your computer and therefore just by looking at it nothing could be happening.

How can I tell if there is a website displayed? I should know before I  click on it if something can "happen" then..

If you're right, then I guess it is easy to create a website that mimics a harmless texture on a tempting-to-click-me object that then will cause something bad.

Linda.Spargel schrieb:

Using a website will give that website your IPaddress, otherwise it could not send any information back for you to view.

It is already displayed before I click on it, right? So it knows my IP  address beforehand or it can send information to me without knowing my  IP address.   ? Or did I miss something?

Ackley.Bing wrote:

Scruffy, if someone ABUSES your IP address and LL decides on their own that the evidince suggest abuse, then that's LLs call because the abuse might be against the TOS.

BUT, theres no way you would even know someone has OBTAINED your IP address unless they reveal it somehow.  Unless you're Psychic Scruffy. You have to provide REAL evidence that someone is obtaining your IP#.  Even if it is occuring, you're going to lose a lot of sleep over proving this.

Got any great new idea that will make IP addresses obsolete?  You'll be a billionaire if you protect your idea before its COPIED.

I dont particularly care if someone has my IP address. BUT it is against TOS to data mine.  That section of the TOS is very clear and doesn't need any interpretation. Yes it will be hard to prove but just because somthing is hard to prove doesnt make it right. It's hard to tell if someone is copybotting .. so should we just say thats ok?

Oh .. and as for this making being a DJ illegal .. well thats just silly ... unless you store all the ip addreses after the session for reference later.  Then you would be breaking the TOS.

Scruffy

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 167 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.