Sign in to follow this  
Mirika Drasilova

Open Letter to Linden Labs - Prims and Regions

Dear Linden Labs

I am an admin on a full region which has a good stable population, we would love to add more to the sim but currently cannot because of the limit on prims.

Now considering servers are more powerful than they were would it be possible to increase the prim limits on a region at extra cost?

Mirika Drasilova wrote:

Dear Linden Labs

I am an admin on a full region which has a good stable population, we would love to add more to the sim but currently cannot because of the limit on prims.

Now considering servers are more powerful than they were would it be possible to increase the prim limits on a region at extra cost?

The meaning of a "prim" has changed a lot since 2003 - it was originally simple geometric objects but now you can buy an entire grand piano that's a single prim. To make loads on sims more realistic they changed the accounting to "land impact" which attempts to give various builds a more appropriate value for their use of resources.

The good news is if most of your builds are simple traditional prims in modifiable linksets you can as much as halve the land impact of those builds (i.e. a 100 - prim building only counts for 50 "prims") by editing them, going to "Features" and changing their type to "Convex hull." This won't work as well on builds that contain a lot of sculpted prims and it takes some experimentation but it's an easy way to get a lot more on the land.

Mirika Drasilova wrote:

I would dearly love for Linden Labs to allow us to buy more prims as and when needed for a sim.

Stop dreaming, that won't happen and your "open letter" here probably won't even reach their attention.

Right, this takes a bit of practice. Assuming, however, that we're talking about Castle Rock here, I paid a visit, and it would be easy to cut thousands of Land Impact with just a bit of work. There is for example a parking garage with a current LI of 102 but should be 30 or lower using some texturing and modern building techniques including mesh physics but not converting anything from prim to mesh geometry. Also, there are some fairly high-LI trees, by modern standards.

It does appear, however, that some first steps have been taken on the sim. A few of the builds do use mesh physics (and not just the purchased ones), so somebody is indeed trying.

The other possibility would be to rent a Homestead and migrate part of the current sim's contents onto it. You're really very much better off not increasing LI density on a single sim because you'll start to get complaints about lag. To spread that out over a regular sim and a Homestead would take somebody acquainted with the region's usage, to move just the parts that fit within a Homestead's limits on avatars and LI.