Hollow for 'corners' and wall thickness ratio

Jas Siamendes

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 5170 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

As a relative newcomer to building - I'm struggling to get my walls exactly the same thickness as the 'wall' thickness of the hollow cube I am using for corners...It suddenly occured to me that some mathematical genius MUST have worked out an equation for the ratio - would anyone know if there is such a thing? Or...even a list of the ratios?

5 answers to this question

Hollow is a percentage, so if you have X and Y dimensions of 1m, with a 95% hollow you are left with 5% of 1m.  Since SL measurements are in metres anyway that just means you use 0.05 for the dimension of the wall.  If you stretch the corner prim you have to rmember that also affects the wall thickness - make the corner prim 2m and keep it at 95% hollow and you need to increase the wall thickness to 0.1

Thank you muchly PeterCanessa, I really should have been able to figure that out! Tsk!

*wanders away to go find old maths books* :-)

Ahh...I just tried that, but because it is a cube that is path cut (perhaps?) I found that I need to half the dimension eg:

I have a 10m cube, hollowed to 95% using the 5% theory the wall should be 0.5m - but in actual fact it needs to be 0.25m! - So it becomes 2.5% of the original prim width.

Thank you for making me exercise my grey matter ;-)

Jas.Siamendes wrote:

I have a 10m cube, hollowed to 95% using the 5% theory the wall should be 0.5m - but in actual fact it needs to be 0.25m! - So it becomes 2.5% of the original prim width.

Oops, sorry about that and congratulations on working it out.  Erm, honest, I was following the approved teaching method of "point them in the right direction but let them find the answer themselves, so they remember it"

Jas.Siamendes wrote:

Ahh...I just tried that, but because it is a cube that is path cut (perhaps?) I found that I need to half the dimension eg:

Hollow originates from the center so when you take out 95% (9.5m) you take out 4.75m to the left of the center and 4.75m to the right center (and up and down) and the 0.5m you are left with is the thickness of *both* sides added together so each side is 0.25m thick .

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 5170 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.