OK...dumb question about minimum graphics card...please assist!

Tika Beningborough

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 5073 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

So...I'm getting a new laptop with Windows 7, 4GB, 320GB hard drive and an Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 4500M (Video memory up to 1309MB).

Is this going to work? or will I have to purchase and install an additional graphics card? BTW - I don't build, am not a "gamer" and really use SL just to hang out and talk with friends (and my bf). I have read the system requirements (not updated to include Windows 7) and the Wiki...so...I'm at a loss.

Thanks for the assistance!

15 answers to this question

It's an Intel intregrated video chipset.  Meaning it's an onboard video adapter that is designed for basic video applications only.  It may (in fact probably will) work for SL.  But not well by any stretch.  I'm sure someone has successfully managed to get the adapter or work with SL but they most  likely had to do some tweaking of settings and have settled for quite a bit less than optimum performance.

You'll have to try it yourself.  LL does not support such graphics acceleraters simply because those chipsets are not designed for the graphics SL requires for it's full use.  Get a heat pad............that accelerator is going to be doing a whole lot more than it was designed for and will definitely be producing a whole lot more heat than the design limits.  You could cook it (and your entire motherboard) without taking extra precautions........even with those precaustion you could kill your laptop.

• Like 1

I believe it will run as i have an older Intel graphics chip in 1 of my laptops and it works fine but expect to run on low settings and at a low frame rate.The rest of the spec sounds good but as you will probably using this laptop for a long time i would really try to get a notebook with a discrete graphics card from nVidia or ATI.However if you are happy with low frame rates then i don't see you having a problem.

• Like 1

If you don't mind not using Windlight, you can try the Nicholaz Bleeding Edge Viewer, or Boy Lane's Cool Viewer. Both work off off LL's 1.19 viewer, which is the last non Windlight Viewer. They have all the necessary security updates, and the Cool Viewer, which I use has a lot of extra features. It works very well with my old graphics card.

So do not use an Intel card especially if your building.  You will see things not as they truly are.  Most things like glow, shaders do not work and if they do not correctly.  Also stay way away from ATI they have issues with all games and rendering engines.  If I may I would suggest a Nvidia 9000 or 200+ series card to make yourself minimally up to date.

Intel card = Pentium 2/3 chips turned into a graphics proccesor which they so aren' meant for.

ATI = Badly made and badly programmed garbage yes you'll see more with your ATI but it is highly glitchy.

Nvidia 9000/200+ series are the current cards that are minimal gaming for the time being - this will change in 6 months like all PC parts obsolete.

You might want to take a look at Nvidia's current notebook GPU lineup.  There is a table about halfway down the page with their cards listed by category.

In general, I would not buy anything in the Value or Mainstream for running SL.  Although the better ones will run at low settings, heat will be an issue and can impact the life of the laptop.  The Performance cards will give medium settings, and should allow some eyecandy.  They will still have heat issues, especially in smaller laptops with less cooling.   High Performance and Enthusiast cards are capable of giving good visual effects and usually have better cooling systems.  Whatever you get, invest in a good notebook cooler to improve airflow and keep temps down.

Ok all - thanks for the many opinions - they have all helped.

SO - found two options in my price range with the following:

ATI Radeon 4200 graphics
With 256-1918MB dynamically allocated shared graphics memory delivers lush graphic performance.

and one with

NVIDIA GeForce G210M graphics
Features 512MB DDR3 graphics memory for lush images.

What say you?

Thanks again!

The ATI is an onboard graphics adapter.  It has 0 (zero) dedicate onboard video RAM.  The maximum shared RAM is 512 megs.

The nVidia is a discrete card.  It has 512 mb dedicated onboard video RAM.  As far as I can tell it does not share any system RAM.

Here's your choice.  Both are what is called entry level graphics adapters designed for light graphics requirements.  They will play most games at low settings.  The nVidia has dedicated onboard video RAM so it will not take from your system RAM to do it's stuff.  The ATI has no dedicated video RAM so all it's rendering RAM needs will come from your system RAM.  NVidia has better OpenGL support than ATI (SL is an OpenGL program).  Both cards are low end but better than Intel.  Both cards will work for SL at low settings............the ATI will most likely have to be tweaked a little in the preferrences due to the difference in OpenGL support for the manufacturers.

All things considered, if it were me, I would go nVidia.

My source for the quick comparisons of the two adapters:

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Notebook-Laptop-Reviews-and-News.48.0.html

I'll second that...I have the workstation version of the same Nvidia chipset in my work computer, and it will do OK if the graphics settings are fairly low.  Boy Lane's Rainbow Viewer does well on this chipset...it is made to be lighter than the regular viewer for entry level hardware.

If you don't mind sharing your price range and what country you are in, I might be able to make some suggestions.

If your going to be building the Nvidia is better, remember the ATI will have lots of graphic glitching or may not work with SL at all.  I am also waiting the tracking from fedex says its on the truck for this : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834114719 which has a

1GB NVIDIA GeForce GT 230M dedicated graphics w/64 bit 7 and 4Gb DDR3 Ram

The GT230M = 9600 thus Medium High graphics.  With 1Gb dedicated ram plus 1790 more I can take from the 4Gb, and with SL and 3dsmax running I definitly have the space to allocate 1790 of my Ram to Video Ram.

I'm currently on a Toshiba Sattelite 32bit 7/ 4gb DDR2 and an intel 945 = ive seen SL on people with a ATI card and it's a whole different world so my Nvidia will be very lovely hehe.

Ok Fedex hurry up n get here!!!!!

Only downside to new lappy is the 5200RPM Hdd but I'll be switching that out with my current 7200Hdd once I get the new systems recovery discs made.

If your going to be building the Nvidia is better, remember the ATI will have lots of graphic glitching or may not work with SL at all.

That is not actually true. Both Nvidia and ATI cards work fine with SL these days. ATI finally has its act together with respect to drivers.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 5073 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.