Tallest building?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3469 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Drew Bhalti wrote:

There are a few others, when I reintergrate myself into the world I'll pull my LM's

I know that isn't what you meant, but I took it to mean you'd disintegrated. Scattered to the winds of Second Life (they exist; I've seen proof) in an expanding cloud of particles.

Reintegration would be like one of those bad movie special effects, where things are streaming in from all over and everything coalesces at an accelerating pace until WHAM: the scary alien/superhero/mystical being appears.

Sort of like when we log in and pop out of the cloud (on those lucky days when we actually DO).

It is impossible to really say what the tallest building is, or the biggest, or smallest etc..  You'd have to visit every sim and measure all the tall ones.  But you can't do that as many sims are private and you can't get there.  Even if you could, the tallest right now might change by tomorrow because people are always building new things.  You can build up to 4096m

Amethyst Jetaime wrote:

It is impossible to really say what the tallest building is, or the biggest, or smallest etc..  You'd have to visit every sim and measure all the tall ones.  But you can't do that as many sims are private and you can't get there.  Even if you could, the tallest right now might change by tomorrow because people are always building new things.  You can build up to 4096m

Thus, I shall make a building 4096m high :P

I seem to remember a story, with some pictures and heard it still exists...

The tallest structure in SL is a beanstalk that someone created long, long ago (My brain wants to say the first year of SL) And that it was kept alive by the lindens. Somewhere on mainland anyway. I've never been but it was a pretty cool story.

As for the tallest building? I dunno. There's some pretty tall buildings in a cyber-city. That place lagged me out just looking at it on my bf's screen! lol. Was very, very cool though, spanned several sims. (not insilico)

The bf says Meridian City, though don't quote him or me on it lol

LOL, Aeromia, it wasn't just the first year but the very first night of SL's existence. Mrs Steller Sunshine built the legendary beanstalk over night, so whe the LL guys logged in next morning they were in for a surprise ;) Well, that's the legend. I once bloggered about the beanstalk: http://orca.slsailing.co/2013/04/orca-revisits-legend-fails-tues-cruise.html

Jewel Laurasia wrote:

Amethyst Jetaime wrote:

Thus, I shall make a building 4096m high
:P

The tallest height possible is 4096m + half the largest dimension of a prim placed at that height. With the build tools, that would be a 64m prim, for a maximum height of 4128m. I just tried it and it works; I even made it into a slope and walked to the top. All I'd have to do to make it a building rather than a skybox is rez stuff down to ground level (or in my case, sea floor level). I'd be the first to admit that'd make a really crappy build, just for the sake of calling it a building.

Obviously there are much bigger megaprims still available out there. I'm pretty sure one of the Gene Replacement megas was a platform 65,536m on a side, and 512m squares (and possibly bigger) are still used for sim surrounds. I still have a 512m cube in inventory, but the tallest for useful height (ie. that I could fit on my parcel) is 10x10x400m.

Kelli May wrote:

Jewel Laurasia wrote:

Amethyst Jetaime wrote:

The tallest height possible is 4096m + half the largest dimension of a prim placed at that height. With the build tools, that would be a 64m prim, for a maximum height of 4128m. I just tried it and it works; I even made it into a slope and walked to the top. All I'd have to do to make it a building rather than a skybox is rez stuff down to ground level (or in my case, sea floor level). I'd be the first to admit that'd make a really crappy build, just for the sake of calling it a building.

Obviously there are much bigger megaprims still available out there. I'm pretty sure one of the Gene Replacement megas was a platform 65,536m on a side, and 512m squares (and possibly bigger) are still used for sim surrounds. I still have a 512m cube in inventory, but the tallest for useful height (ie. that I could fit on my parcel) is 10x10x400m.

Yeah, it's not hard to build a tall structure. Many years ago, I used megaprims to build a dandelion that pierced the SL cloud deck. Jack's beanstalk may still be around somewhere. I've parachuted off the top of it. Anyone can base jump in SL.

Kelli May wrote:

Jewel Laurasia wrote:

Amethyst Jetaime wrote:

Maybe it could be even taller than that if the old trick still works. Back when the maximum building height was 768m, you could push things up a lot higher. You couldn't rez anything up there, not even onto a prim that you'd pushed up there. If that works above 4096, maybe the sky's the limit on a building's height.

I knew one couple who had pushed their skybox home and contents way above 768m. I think up at about 1000m. Everything in it could be used as normal.

Absolutely. My last parcel was at a couple of hundred metres. When we used to have the old-style weather, the cloud layer was almost at ground level. It wasn't hilly; the entire area was on a kind of plateau. My current place is just the opposite. Ground level is as low as zero over most of it and the whole place is under 20m of water. It's one of the few places I've lived where I could build something to the true full height possible.

@Phil: Looks like 4096m is a hard limit. I couldn't slide anything above there, and anything I rez higher up drops straight back.

Phil Deakins wrote:

Maybe it could be even taller than that if the old trick still works. Back when the maximum building height was 768m, you could push things up a lot higher. You couldn't rez anything up there, not even onto a prim that you'd pushed up there. If that works above 4096, maybe the sky's the limit on a building's height.

I knew one couple who had pushed their skybox home and contents way above 768m. I think up at about 1000m. Everything in it could be used as normal.

Nope. 4096 is a hard limit. Every object/prim over that limit zap's immediately. (the center counts)

Sitting on it does not prevent that. It stays only if you wear it.

Take a spaceship or plane and fly over 4096. Don't forget the parachute! :D

I remember this one very tall structure I found without even looking for huge structures, I don't remember the exacts but I think it was like this... Kinda zigzag shaped thing that went up seemingly forever. I think it was at least a thousand feet high, and it took me quite a long time to hit the ground before falling. Now that I hear about this beanstalk I'm curious to see it, and wonder if it's significantly taller than whatever it was I remembered.

I forget where it was, it was something I saw a few months ago when I started exploring.

Satralectis wrote:

I remember this one very tall structure I found without even looking for huge structures, I don't remember the exacts but I think it was like this... Kinda zigzag shaped thing that went up seemingly forever. I think it was at least a thousand feet high, and it took me quite a long time to hit the ground before falling. Now that I hear about this beanstalk I'm curious to see it, and wonder if it's significantly taller than whatever it was I remembered.

I forget where it was, it was something I saw a few months ago when I started exploring.

http://secondlife.com/destination/climbable-beanstalk

http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Welsh/41/99/21/?title=Climbable+Beanstalk&img=http%3A%2F%2Flecs-destinations-secondlife-com.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fnew%2Fdestinations%2Fen%2F_img%2Fmidsize%2F5746.jpg&msg=One+of+the+oldest+objects+in+SL+is+a+beanstalk%2C+created+by+Steller+Sunshine+in+2003.+An+influential+model+of+organic+shapes+in+a+whimsical+style%2C+Steller+used+to+hold+contests+challenging+Residents+to+jump+from+leaf+to+leaf+%E2%80%94+can+you+make+it+to+the+top%3F

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3469 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.