3 Months of Basic Failures

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3572 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

It is now a bit longer than 3 months that the weekly server deploy breaks what has been fixed the week before.
In a good week this is fixed in 2 days but usually there are on and off partial or full outages over 3 days.
Apparently there are huge asset server issues that need to be fixed. It is beyond me why they keep deploying code when they are fully aware that it will break the basic functions all over again. You could deal with that 2 or 3 times but when it keeps happening for this period of time after 11 years you really wonder if they suffer from a mental condition.

Wouldn't it make more sense to take down the frid for 24/48 hours and setup a proper asset server system instead of intentionally breaking the grid every week during EU prime time hours?

The last deploy is probably the worst I have seen. My own prims and Meshes become no mod/no copy/no transfer i rezzed a hollow cubic prim 1x1x1 and it Land Impact 98, I try to pack boxes, it won't let me. I try to delete the half packed boxes, it won't let me this is going on for 2 days now and I believe we have endured enough and pay way too much money for our land as this can be allowed to happen. Maybe it is time to challenge the TOS in front of a judge and link our payments to the quality of the service, I am damn sure issues would not re-appear anymore or people get fired.

(end of rant)

I am not sure why anyone thinks we want to hear their rants...

Hitomi is right. I haven't been having problems like you describe. Also, your discription of what is happening is way out of touch with reality. There are sites where you can keep up on the going-ons in SL. There is Inara Pey's and mine. Plus there are user group meetings each week facilitated by the Lindens.

This week is unusual in that they had to do what I might call a panic re-roll of server software. It is rare that this happens.

The idea that within 24 to 48 hours they could replace a part of a system that is has taken years to develop is unrealistic. It took them almost a decade to create a system to eliminate unused content while the system remained in use. The past 3 years they have been updating key parts of a 10 year old system.

There are no other systems on line that have the complications that exist in SL. You may think other games are similar. But, that thinking only reveals what you don't understand.

Nalates if you don't wanna hear my rants you have the choice not to read them.

None of my experiences are out of touch with reality, you must feel very high of yourself to even say that.
The issue we are talking about persist for longer than 3 months, manipulating the readers of this forum by saying I suggest this should be fixable in 24 or 48 hours is not OK because these problems are known for years and as you correctly stated they are working on it for 3 years and have not found a better solution as the one that keeps collapsing on a weekly basis.

The fact and the matter is as long Linden Labs is charging top shelf server hosting prices I have  to expect a top shelf service. I am a paying customer and I don't have to care about the reasons. When your mobile phone or internet provider has connectivity issues over 3 months you are not interested in their excuse either on top of that you and I have a completely different investment into Second Life, I am paying 1000 USD a month and 16 hours a day in order to provide for the people I love, when basic features are lost for 3 hours 3 times a week then this becomes frustrating because deadlines don't go away and i lose money in the process. In example I had an event in May with daily new releases for special prices with up to 1400 people a day and 20k traffic, each Wednesday and Thursday i lost  aprox 15,000 L$ because it happened during EU prime time. Thats' 30,000 a week thats 120,000 a month and at times I even had to close my sim due to too many failed deliveries.

This is not my first avi, I am here since 2006 and i have been through that already and if anyone expects me to be patient i can do that when Linden Labs lowers their charges because their system is not working 100% and my credit card charge does not reflect that. As long as I am paying full price and lose time and money in the process i don't have to be understanding and I have the right to be ignorant about it. It's always a 2 way street.

I say it again, if our land payments would be directly linked to the stability of the grid these issues would no longer exist because Linden Labs would lose money and people would get fired over it. All of this is happening on our backs while they charge the full amount, nothing in return and when the deploy the new code they already know they  have to do cosemtic surgery on the servers again which was my point entirely.

I am sorry, but what is your degree in? 
I really think the complexity of what is really happening behind the scenes may be over your head. 

Yes it sucks, but its YOUR choice to stay or to leave when working with SL. They provide a platform for you to sell things and make quite a bit of money, since it seems you wish to spill out numbers. They promised nothing when you sign up for land or rent or whatever. Downtimes are to be expected, they do not gurantee your land 24/7, and so your complaints are just going to be ignored, because well.. they're rather pretentious. You're guranteed nothing, and obviously haven't read what the lindens have posted. Sure lets have them keep the servers up instead of fixing the problem in which would cause the entire SL that allows you to make all this money be gone forever because of irreppairable server issues.

tl;dr -> Go read up on whats actually going on, kthxbai

And then we have only recently ended a long period when only a few people, mostly Lindens, were allowed to read JIRAs, so some sort of "is this problem just me" was a good idea. And I don't think the JIRA system is all that good a tool to report problems, not for relatively ordinary users. I reckon we need an interpreter.

If you haven't noticed, the last three months have been rough, in a lot of ways. And, with certain honorable exceptions, Linden Labs can seem very unresponsive. If you think this is bad, go hang out in the merchant forums for a week or two.

One indicator I use: a few months ago I made a non-stop flight from Bagheera sim to Lenimov sim, pretty much the longest popint-to-point flight possible in SL. The Gridflight group are planning to try that. but I am beginning to wonder if the current quality of sim-crossing is adequate.

The problem may well be with my end of the connection, but I have seen a change for the worse. Is it just me? Not from the reports I have heard. Can I prove it to the Lindens or to you? I don't know, but it's not a bet I feel confident in.

WolfBaginski Bearsfoot wrote:

And then we have only recently ended a long period when only a few people, mostly Lindens, were allowed to read JIRAs, so some sort of "is this problem just me" was a good idea. And I don't think the JIRA system is all that good a tool to report problems, not for relatively ordinary users. I reckon we need an interpreter.

If you haven't noticed, the last three months have been rough, in a lot of ways. And, with certain honorable exceptions, Linden Labs can seem very unresponsive. If you think this is bad, go hang out in the merchant forums for a week or two.

One indicator I use: a few months ago I made a non-stop flight from Bagheera sim to Lenimov sim, pretty much the longest popint-to-point flight possible in SL. The Gridflight group are planning to try that. but I am beginning to wonder if the current quality of sim-crossing is adequate.

The problem may well be with my end of the connection, but I have seen a change for the worse. Is it just me? Not from the reports I have heard. Can I prove it to the Lindens or to you? I don't know, but it's not a bet I feel confident in.

I'll agree that sometimes support can be dismal, even abysmal.

But to be honest, I'm not sure I could ever do support.

Sometimes when I read some of the questions posted in this Forum I want to respond by asking, "Are you sure your computer is plugged in?"

As far as connection problems go, consider what Monty said when helping someone with a Bake Fail problem:

"There are some odd cases that arise when talking to the baking service which is why I hopped on this. They haven't all been resolved. But ISP problems are still far more common and, honestly, probably becoming more common."

First off note that he "hopped" on this one.  They do have to prioritize what they are working on and it appears that Bake Fails are a priority

Secondly, if ISP problems are becoming more common, in this case a DNS look up problem, then that means they may need to figure out ways to get around it.  And honestly I don't know how easy that may be.

Yes, but are the isp problems, caused by the isps which generally in the US at least have gotten stronger, or by LL who has somehow muffed the connection.  That excuse is at best a two edged sword which more often than not cuts both ways.  For the record my isp currently is very strong, having just gone through a major upgrade, and is having very few dropped connections and these are as likely as not caused by power loss due to weather or some other short term problem.  SL on the contrary is undergoing a host of problem from sim crossings, crashes, at times massive lag, and lock ups.  This has also been accompanied by an increasingly high memory usage on out computers, as LL apparently relies more and more on our computers to run basic services. Given the serious instablilty of sl over the last few months and the relatively stability of the web in general it seems the problem lies with LL and no amount of cheerleading and apologisic excuses can alter the fact that for one reason or another SL service is far worse than it was a few months ago. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3572 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.